M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the crush washer be removed from the Differential drain plug? I replaced the gear oil and it's not seating properly:swear:. Is it best to put an O-ring on the plug and be done with it?

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
Yes, it takes the same crush washers as the oil drain ones. The fill bolt hs a rubber O'ring, so that is reusable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They are a real b-yatch to get off. I ended up using a pair of hand pruning shears...you can wiggle the blade behind the edge of the washer and apply pressure, keep rotating until you have enought space made for a screwdriver. The heat treated blade worked well for me, after you do one they become a piece of cake...good luck!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I finally was able the remove the washer and replaced it. I bought 4 of them from the dealer today so I will have extras for next time, 97 cents each.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
Take a small thin screwdriver, or use your pocket knife, and pry the washer up a little. It's aluminum so they can be bent up easily. Then take a pair of wire cutters and clip it. Usually it just breaks where you cut it, then you can pry it off.

I replace mine on the diff and oil pan at every other change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts