M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around with the air intakes for a while and I think I have found something that works for me. I think I am going to spray paint the couplers black, one less thing to polish. I just put them on to see if they would fit alright, the studs needs alittle work but all in all I like it.

One Cool thing about this setup is no little filter, crank case hose goes right on

The filters are little off set due to the stud, but I will fix that soon. Also there is no leg room issues on the left side with this setup, now that is ::)

These are aluminum and I would like to hear any constructive criticism on why this may or may not be a issue and what type of issues may come in to play.

Be safe

Bear

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Very very cool. Did you make those couplers?? Buy them?? I am interested in them. Many of us have created our own from a myriad of parts.

Sledzep

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prices and part # please!!!!!!!!!! I have the ramair setup and dont like the leg room on the
left side. :doorag:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I came up with the idea myself and worked with a local fabricator to make them. He did say he would cut me a deal if I ordered 5 or more. You can ALMOST use any filter with it since you can dictate what size the flange will be. It all depends upon the size of the filter if there is clearance with the tank and with your legs. But I have also thought of using a kinda L shape to lower it for a problem with the tank.

I also have spoke with him about working on a side license plate holder like a member here makes, which I think is the best one since it seems like I won't be able to get one from him (To much demand). The holder would be bare aluminum, he doesn't do powder coating.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
BearCom said:
Thanks guys, I came up with the idea myself and worked with a local fabricator to make them. He did say he would cut me a deal if I ordered 5 or more. You can ALMOST use any filter with it since you can dictate what size the flange will be. It all depends upon the size of the filter if there is clearance with the tank and with your legs. But I have also thought of using a kinda L shape to lower it for a problem with the tank.

I also have spoke with him about working on a side license plate holder like a member here makes, which I think is the best one since it seems like I won't be able to get one from him (To much demand). The holder would be bare aluminum, he doesn't do powder coating.
Are they cut? Cast? Can we see some pics of it alone?
I am interested as it may allow me to float an oval K&N there like I wanted to.
I would like a little more info. What is the price with a deal? Without? I am pretty happy with mine right now but it is not what I originally wanted.

Also, what do you mean they are off because of the stud? I see them offset, mine are too because of where the intake tube comes down... Are these hard mounted??

Sorry for all the questions

Sledzep

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sledzep01 said:
Are they cut? Cast? Can we see some pics of it alone?
I am interested as it may allow me to float an oval K&N there like I wanted to.
I would like a little more info. What is the price with a deal? Without? I am pretty happy with mine right now but it is not what I originally wanted.

Also, what do you mean they are off because of the stud? I see them offset, mine are too because of where the intake tube comes down... Are these hard mounted??

Sorry for all the questions

Sledzep
I guess I'm to picky and wrong choice of words the angle of the filters in-line with the flow of the bike is just off abit. The left stud needs to be shortened because I think it will rub the cylinder. It is cut aluminum, It was actually welded twice the first time there was no room for my left leg so I had them cut down both sides. I will post some pics later with them off and about the price he never did say what kinda deal he will be giving me. I will call the fabricator's later today and try to post the pricing with the pics

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well done Bear..I would love to see what your couplers look like off the bike and away from the air cleaner! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Looks really good Bear, I love to see the ingenuity on this board. I also have K&N's on my bike, but at the really low tech end, I just stuffed them into the intakes, looks ok and does the job. One question I have though with the exposed filters like this is water and rain. I had a 1200 Bandit a few bikes ago (no comments please) with K&N filter pods and no air box. I got stuck in heavy rain once and fouled my fuel system with water. Long story short, how will riding in the wet effect a system like that, or any other where the filter element is exposed to the, well...elements? Have you had any problems as such? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
pizzmor said:
Looks really good Bear, I love to see the ingenuity on this board. I also have K&N's on my bike, but at the really low tech end, I just stuffed them into the intakes, looks ok and does the job. One question I have though with the exposed filters like this is water and rain. I had a 1200 Bandit a few bikes ago (no comments please) with K&N filter pods and no air box. I got stuck in heavy rain once and fouled my fuel system with water. Long story short, how will riding in the wet effect a system like that, or any other where the filter element is exposed to the, well...elements? Have you had any problems as such? Thanks.
I got caught in a pretty nasty rain this past weekend. Had to ride about an hour in it to get home. I have a dual cold air intake setup using spectre filters (You can see my intake setup in my signature) and had no issues. Although it did get me to thinking it may be wise to drill a small hole in the bottom back end of the coupler to allow any water that did penetrate to drain... I know Kuryakyn has a "drain hole".

·
Registered
346 Posts
got caught in a pretty nasty rain this past weekend. Had to ride about an hour in it to get home. I have a dual cold air intake setup using spectre filters (You can see my intake setup in my signature) and had no issues. Although it did get me to thinking it may be wise to drill a small hole in the bottom back end of the coupler to allow any water that did penetrate to drain... I know Kuryakyn has a "drain hole".
That is good to know. It looks like your filters are right out there in the open too. p.s. your bike looks killer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I will try to post some pics this week, I'm out of town for a couple days. The K&N I am using has a hole at the base in back of the filter for a drain. I haven't been caught in the rain yet, So I'm not sure how it will be. I feel the bike is running lean taking it to the dyno when I get back home.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
pizzmor said:
That is good to know. It looks like your filters are right out there in the open too. p.s. your bike looks killer.
Thanks! :D

The only down side I had to riding in the rain with them is that the filters have a coating of road grime/dirt on them now... You know... the same junk that is all over the rims/pipes, and the rest of the bike when you ride in the rain...

So the downside after getting caught in the rain is that you need to clean and re-oil the filters. Not a major deal, just an inconvenience.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still out of town, but I talked to the Fabricator and the price for the intakes if you buy just one is $200 but if I can get 5 orders he will drop it down to $150. Also who here would be interested in the license plate side mount ????????

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
BearCom said:
Still out of town, but I talked to the Fabricator and the price for the intakes if you buy just one is $200 but if I can get 5 orders he will drop it down to $150. Also who here would be interested in the license plate side mount ????????
Just one? or just one set?

Still need a pic when you can

Sledzep

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is $200 a set and if we can get 5 orders it is $150 a set. Right now I cant remember what the part number for the K&N but I will get it and post it later. I'm not at home right now and I cant remember. But remember you can put any filter on it you want if it will fit for your leg on the left. Yes I was able to line the filters up with the bike no problem. Toneout the only filter set up close to this one cost $429 and actually you could put those filters on this for $250 or less.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All I can tell you is these things aren't cheap to build and the best deal is getting five orders to get them at $150 a set. Â Jr sorry Bro forgot about the ones you did for the Drag Pack, I never got a close look at those. I look at like this, this is a option for people and the beautiful thing about it is they can take it or leave it. I have quite a bit of time invested in these and as you can see they are solid, they just need to be powder coated or chromed.

Here are the pictures I promised

1 - 20 of 33 Posts