M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was close to doing my own cone filter mod to the intake but I didn't like the fact that the intake locations were different on each side so I took a look at what K&N had to offer regarding motorcycle filters for HD. I found a 5.5" round unit that I liked that has a chrome cover with their logo on it (K&N Part No. RC-0850) which had an OD of 2-7/16". In looking at Home Depot I found out that 2" PVC has an OD of 2.375 which will work with this filter. So I purchased some black PVC pipe, 2 couplings, 2 end caps, and a 2.5" hole saw. I removed the intakes assemblies from both sides and removed the stock filters. As everyone knows this bike takes in air on the wrong side of the jug but the diameter of that hole is perfect to fit a short piece of the 2" PVC pipe with an end cap on it so I plugged both sides and then found the high spot in the chromed plastic cover. At this point I took my trusty hole saw and went for it - no going back now. I took 2 short pieces of PVC pipe and glued the couplings to it so I had something to hold it onto the other side of the chrome cover. I also purchased 2 pieces of a heavy beveled gasket with a 2-1/8" ID made of high density foam rubber and a gasket that came with them (These pieces were found in the toilet section and are usually used to mount the tank to the toilet). They were the perfect shape so that when the filter is attached to the other side of the plastic chrome cover it is held there tightly and does not move around.

All in all I think everything came out great and already feel improvements in the "seat of the pants" torque as the bike feels like it wants to stand up when I hit second gear. All the pieces to do this mod set me back around $95 and I have quality K&N filters to boot.

Here are some pictures:

For some reason I can't attach them - any help here?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not bad, but it looks to me like they sure do stick out pretty far. I would think they sorta look like they might get in the way. Otherwise, they look good for how much they cost.

:bigthumbsup:

G

·
I admire your hard work and the thought that went into it. Should nick name you MCGyver. :p Do you think that with the extra width that it will be an issue down the road. Wondering if there is a way of getting rid of the stock chrome box and moving everything in a few inches. I think you would get a better look that way. Great ingenuity bro.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Although they DO stick out pretty far -- they don't stick out any farther than the pegs or the front turn signals -- so I don't see that as a problem.

I'm wondering about getting some "Ram-air" effect -- but I think that wa done by one of the earlier home-mod designs.

All in all -- nice work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do stick out a little but look good with the bike IMO. The only consideration for anyone else looking to do this mod is that if you have a long inseam there may be interference with the filters by your shins. I have about a 30.5" inseam and I have about 2" of clearance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey pizzmor,

Aren't you the one who has the crankcase filters that are offset into the intake? I sure wouldn't be calling my intake setup ugly if that's what I put together. Try using your imagination a little..... :mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts