M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader, first time poster. Just wondering what the main differences were between the models leading upto 2010? I am now in the market for an M109R as I have wanted one for ages and finally have the money to get which ever one I want (my car got written off thanks to baseball size hail).

Any info, recommendations or direction to websites would be fantastic.
Cheers
Dan in West Aussieland.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Main differences?.....colors...just colors, unless you want black. The other differences were some pieces being swapped from plastic to metal and some upgrades on the rear rotor and transmission forks and shafts. Some changes in the airbox inlets too. For the most part 08 started the upgraded parts.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Main differences?.....colors...just colors, unless you want black. The other differences were some pieces being swapped from plastic to metal and some upgrades on the rear rotor and transmission forks and shafts. Some changes in the airbox inlets too. For the most part 08 started the upgraded parts.
Do not forget some pieces that were metal were replaced with plastic.

I think the best answer is that there are no 'main' differences.

Little things here and there but no huge issues resolved or created.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hello....what about 2006?

I didnt see the simple numbers "2006"........ everyone starts off with 2007 and upwards

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Do not forget some pieces that were metal were replaced with plastic.

I think the best answer is that there are no 'main' differences.

Little things here and there but no huge issues resolved or created.
sorry had to.

the 2010 is were the main things were, tach in nacelle, gear indicator on tach, **black wheels, **black diff cover. **LE only

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been trying to find and condense that information as well -- it's kinda spread out and hard to find, and the changes are mostly trivial.

2007:

As per Suzuki's Website, the 2007 models got rid of some plastic pieces that were on the 2006:
Suzuki's Website said:
New cylinder head cover, secondary cover and drive unit cover now feature chromed metal construction for a high quality finish
The 2007's may also have been slightly heavier, from what I've read.

2008/2009:

Courtesy of forum member Zoom:

Zoom said:
Changed to covers on the chrome rear fender struts instead of solid metal. The front light bar changed in some way but in appearance it's the same. They added a air duct inside the air filter boxes, probably to quieten intake noise, but most folks remove it so it flows more air. And they went from 3 baffles in each pipe to 2, but decreased the diameter of the internal pipe from 1 5/16" to 1 1/4". Internally the baffles also changed from the normal wall design to several clustered tubes, but I doubt either one performs differently than the others.

Courtesy forum member SiPPMSH:

SiPPMSH said:
The 2008 C109R models follow suit but also have a larger clutch basket to include an extra clutch plate for what Suzuki says, offers my low end torque.
SiPPMSH said:
Modifications to the air cleaners and shifting have been incorporated into all 2009 M109R and C109R models.

Courtesy forum member HyperPete:

HyperPete said:
The front signal mount on the 08+ is plastic instead of metal. There are some minor differences between '07 and '08 including fork spring length, fork oil level, cable adjustments, torque on some fasteners, the part numbers for throttle bodies, diameter of the openings in the back of the filter housings and the addition of some rubber tubes, yada yada yada. I'm sure there are similarly trivial issues with the newer models.

Courtesy forum member seapup:
seapup said:
The 2006 M109R mirrors are different from 2007-2009. The 2006 mirrors have a uniformly rolled edge where the chrome meets the glass. The later versions are less rolled and almost pointed. I just swapped my rock-beaten-to-death 2006 mirrors for new stock 2008 mirrors. :bigthumbsup:
seapup said:

Oh, according to a couple of articles I read, the intake valves were changed in '08 to improve mid-range response.

Suzuki's website also lists this for the 2008 model year:

Suzuki's website said:
-New aerodynamic single headlight option with attractive chrome housing and stylish good looks.
-A new Idle Speed Control (ISC) system improves cold starting and stabilizes engine idle speed in various conditions
There also appears to be some different part numbers used in the clutch of the 2008-2009 model years (and perhaps elsewhere), but there has been no verification on whether the parts were changed or if the numbers were just recatalogued.

-----

2011:

Lastly, the upcoming 2011 model apparently has relocated the tachometer from the risers into the headlight nacelle, added a new gear indicator, etc:

Suzuki's website said:

The Boulevard M109R features a new instrument cluster with a digital tachometer and LED indicator light; a newly included gear position indicator; and it is now relocated from the handlebars to the top of the headlight cowl.

I could keep going, but again, most of it is rather convoluted. The model years are mostly identical.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. :D

Two other differences.

The 06 & 07 models had a castellated nut on the rear axle, which uses a cotter pin. 08 and up models have a self locking Nylock type nut.

They also changed the clutch lever design beginning in 09, it supposedly is easier to pull. Here's a picture courtesy of Rainey5230, the 06-08 lever is at the top and the 09+ lever is at the bottom.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the on you choos and ride day and nite will be THE BEST!!! the newer ones are "supposed to have the bugs worked out" either way, save a bit o'cash for the bugs:bigthumbsup: (mod bugs that is)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I actually had listed the exhaust changes in my post -- hard to sort through the mess of quotations I guess.

Let's just get a final list here -- if you've anything to add, just copy/paste this format, or I'll edit it in:
-------------------------------------------------------------

2007 Changes

• New cylinder head cover, secondary cover, and drive unit cover now feature chromed metal construction (instead of chromed plastic) for a high quality finish
  • Redesigned mirrors are "less rolled and almost pointed" where the chromed edges meet the glass. The previous 2006 mirrors have a more uniformly rolled edge where the chrome meets the glass.
2008+ Changes
  • New smaller "R2" headlight option, replacing the standard large nacelle design.
  • Exhaust redesigned -- (number of baffles decreased from 3 down to 2, as well as changed from a "normal" wall design to several clustered tubes. Additionally, the internal pipe diameter decreased from 1-5/16" down to 1-1/4".)
  • Rear axle now uses a locking "Nylock" nut, whereas previous models had used a castellated nut + cotter pin.
  • Rear fender struts changed from solid metal to plastic covers.
  • Front signal light bar redesigned from 2-piece metal into a 1-piece plastic design (with different mounting arrangement); however, no change in outward appearance.
  • Modified intake ductwork.
  • New Idle Speed Control (ISC) system improves cold starting and stabilizes engine idle speed in various conditions.
  • Possible change in intake valve design.
  • Larger clutch basket to include an extra clutch plate for what Suzuki claims "offers more low end torque." (Possibly C109 only: some say it actually used same clutch basket with thinner plates so that one additional plate could be added. See next bullet point:)
  • Possibly C109R only: "Revised intake cam timing, a 20-percent increase in crank inertia and 2 mm smaller throttle bodies (now at 52mm), changes aimed at smoothing its power delivery and boosting low-end torque." link
2009 Changes

• New clutch lever design (thinner handle with extended pivot point) supposedly easier to pull.
2010-2011 Changes
  • New instrument cluster with a digital tachometer and LED indicator light; a newly included gear position indicator; and the tachometer is now relocated from the handlebar risers to the top of the headlight cowl/nacelle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
wonder if that affected the power at all?? maybe affected torque more than anything.
It would presumably affect back-pressure, and thus torque, albeit Suzuki listed no change in power output. You'd think if they spent the time to re-engineer the exhaust, they'd spend the time to brag about any improvement.

Has there been any confirmation whether the "new" thicker clutch wave washer
came standard on any of the newer bikes?

Just found this
link regarding the 2008 models:
"Revised intake cam timing, a 20-percent increase in crank inertia and 2 mm smaller throttle bodies (now at 52mm), changes aimed at smoothing its power delivery and boosting low-end torque."
A different 2008 camshaft and throttle body would be a fairly significant change -- even if it might only be on C109 models.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
sorry had to.

the 2010 is were the main things were, tach in nacelle, gear indicator on tach, **black wheels, **black diff cover. **LE only
I don't get it, I mean we all know that there is nothing "Limited" about an LE, but why would you call it an LE if it is the only model you are selling :dontknow:

That is just plain assanine.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I wonder if the new (for 2009) clutch lever has anything to do with the cables breaking, seems most reports say it breaks at the barrel in that lever

1 - 20 of 44 Posts