M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question to many of you, but can someone explain the differences between a sportsbike engine and a V-Twin engine.
Why a 1800CC V-Twin gets it's ass kicked by a 1000CC sportsbike engine.

Why not put a 1000CC sportsbike engine in a cruiser, and make it rock as well?

·
Registered
38 Posts
A 1000CC 4 cylinder has less mass to spin up per cylinder allowing a higher RPM to create more HP the motor also retains a lighter fly to create much faster motor acceleration meaning it will decelerate faster when not under load. This creates the problem of twitchy cruising.they are also TRIMMED no fat no comforts. A cruiser with a K6 1000cc would be a crappy cruiser because it would have to be really wound up to ride hard. sorry if my spelling sucks but my head is still healing and that is the best it can do in explanation and spelling

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hmmm, Lets look at a GSXR 1000.
Its a inline 4 cylinder that makes over 165 HP in a bike that weighs in at 365 lbs. dry.

The M109R,
Its a V-twin that makes 127 HP and weighs in at 694 lbs. dry.

Lets do the math.  :doorag:

Would you really want a croozer with a inline 4 cylinder in it?, I would not, lets face it Harley-Davidson set the trend with the V-twin engine, it just plain looks bad ass sitting in a low slung croozer, and who needs all that speed?

Why do ya think they call em CROOZERS. :D

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
BigBoreBiker said:
Its a inline 4 cylinder that makes over 165 HP in a bike that weighs in at 365 lbs. dry.

The M109R,

Lets do the math. :doorag:

Would you really want a croozer with a inline 4 cylinder in it?, I would not, lets face it Harley-Davidson set the trend with the V-twin engine, it just plain looks bad ass sitting in a low slung croozer, and who needs all that speed?

Why do ya think they call em CROOZERS. :D
Gotta love the look of this bike!! Its AWESOME!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigBoreBiker said:

The M109R,

Didn't know they were inline 4 cylinders, so I now know why they couldn't duplicate the performance and look in a V-Twin. I was pretty clear why they were called "Croozers" though. Thanks for the insight..... :confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Canuk said:
Why not put a 1000CC sportsbike engine in a cruiser, and make it rock as well?
Check out the 1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator, it was long, low, shaft driven, fat tank, king and queen seat, fat rear tire for it's time and a ZX10 ninja engine. It was one bad a$$ bike.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
weight to hp is the key! :bigthumbsup:
hp doesnt get the bike rolling, torque does, and inline fours dont have much torque.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
okm that's just ignernt,both play a part along with weight , gearing and aero.If a person with no common sense was to take that for gospel,our bikes would be pretty much the king of the road.But as luck would have it we know it's not a formula 1 bike,it's a fat tired sport cruiser.albiet a very potent onethe formula is one of weight to hp :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
What I meant was torque gets the bike rolling and hp takes over from there. You are correct that both are important to performance. I was simply stating that tq equals low end power while hp is top end power. Thats why we can beat lighter higher hp sportbikes off the line and up to a speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
slickdj96 said:
What I meant was torque gets the bike rolling and hp takes over from there. You are correct that both are important to performance. I was simply stating that tq equals low end power while hp is top end power. Thats why we can beat lighter higher hp sportbikes off the line and up to a speed.
Very true....right up to around 20 mph and then mister R1 says bye bye...... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
BigBoreBiker said:

The M109R,

But what about the 1000cc twin sportbikes that put down 130+ RWHP?

They don't rev to insane speeds, still make good torqu

·
Registered
209 Posts
iL Medico said:
But what about the 1000cc twin sportbikes that put down 130+ RWHP?

They don't rev to insane speeds, still make good torqu
What 1000cc v twin sport bike puts down 130+ hp at the wheel? I'm looking at hard numbers posted in the back of my motorcyclist magazine and the Honda RC51 puts down 118.5 hp and 72.1 ft lbs of torque. Compare that to a R1 that is listed as putting donw 158.3 hp and 74.0 ft lbs of torque. I dont know of any v twin powered rocket that puts down big amounts of torque. Look at any Aprilla or Ducati for instance and you will not find anything making big time tq numbers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
slickdj96 said:
I was simply stating that tq equals low end power while hp is top end power. Thats why we can beat lighter higher hp sportbikes off the line and up to a speed.
Even a 600cc sportbike produces enough torque in 1st to spin the rear wheel off the line. What makes the M109 smoke sportbikes off the line is the geometry and weight of the bike. The 109 can get off the line hard without flipping over, whereas a sportbike rider have to be gentle on the throttle to keep the front wheel on the ground.

There are 1000cc V-twin sportbike engines producing 120-130hp on the wheel, and even 140hp (Ducati 999R). The reason these engines aren't used in a cruiser is that their character doesn't suit a cruiser. Generally in a cruiser we want an engine with lots of torque, but that often comes at the expense of horsepower and performance. The M109 is a good compromise with good power and lots of torque.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Elfrippo said:
Even a 600cc sportbike produces enough torque in 1st to spin the rear wheel off the line. What makes the M109 smoke sportbikes off the line is the geometry and weight of the bike. The 109 can get off the line hard without flipping over, whereas a sportbike rider have to be gentle on the throttle to keep the front wheel on the ground.

There are 1000cc V-twin sportbike engines producing 120-130hp on the wheel, and even 140hp (Ducati 999R). The reason these engines aren't used in a cruiser is that their character doesn't suit a cruiser. Generally in a cruiser we want an engine with lots of torque, but that often comes at the expense of horsepower and performance. The M109 is a good compromise with good power and lots of torque.
Why should torque come at the expense of HP and performance?

Any of the 1000cc sportbikes or the Haybusa or ZX14 or V-Max will spank the paint off the 109 in role ons in ANY gear. That seems to be a measure of torque or at least real world usable torque. None of those afore mentioned bikes seem to suffer performance or HP problems.

I don't feel that the 2 should be or are mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll tell you what. Take any sport bike you like. Tie a rope to its and my 109s back end we'll see who drags who.

109 wins :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
HP and TQ are totally different types of power and some people dont understand the concept behind that. Why do you think cars, bikes and what not are tested for hp and tq? Because they are totally different. You could give a truck 600hp and really low tq and quess what it wont pull $h!t.
Sport bikes engines dont have enough tq to run a big heavy cruiser well and that a big part of the reason they are not in cruisers

·
Registered
17 Posts
It always helps to have your mind made up, either your gonna cruize or rocket around (0 to accident in 2.8 seconds) :eek:. Nothing more distressing than someone that can't make up their mind, the scooter world doesn't have the corner on this market. The cage world had their moments too (Elcamino & Ranchero) were they a car or a truck? Hey if anyone out there really wants the inline four in their cruiser then I know where you can get a 750 honda dirt cheap. :D  V-Twin all the way - BK

·
Registered
326 Posts
Inline 4's do make good torque, both the Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX-14 make over 100 ft. lbs and over 170 HP, its all about cam timing and where the engine builder wants the powerband.

Comparing a croozer to a big bore sport-tourer or sport bike is useless, the M109R is 1800cc, the Hayabusa is 1300cc and it will pull the paint off a M109R from start to finish.

·
Registered
326 Posts
slickdj96 said:
Sport bikes engines dont have enough tq to run a big heavy cruiser well and that a big part of the reason they are not in cruisers
That is not correct, as stated earlier Kawasaki made a croozer with a Ninja 900 engine called the Eliminator and it was one of the fastest croozers out there other than the Yamaha Vmax (V-4), jap croozers use V-twin engines to compete with the look and sound of a Harley-Davidson as best they can.

BTW the fastest croozers on the market use a inline 3 cylinder (Triumph Rocket III), and a V-4 cylinder (Yamaha Vmax).

1 - 20 of 77 Posts