·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,044 Posts
That is the first time I've ever heard of there being a difference. I have no idea what it would be, as the levers and mounting on the transmission are the same on all of them. And the length should be the same. Maybe stop by a dealer and take a look at a newer model and see if the boots changed or something?

Rerouting them just moves them from under the motor mount so the motor doesn't rock forward on them. This takes up some of the slack and eliminates the wear the motor mount places on the housing. It doesn't have anything to do with the year of the cable.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.... Maybe stop by a dealer and take a look at a newer model and see if the boots changed or something?.....
:a20:I called every dealer with in 75 miles of here. No one stocks any clutch cables for a 109.:doh: It dosn't always pay to live in sparsely populated areas.:D Mines not broke yet, but when I was cleaning it the other day I saw a few strands coming lose, figured I would go ahead and get one coming.

·
Radio Active Member
27,688 Posts
That is the first time I've ever heard of there being a difference. I have no idea what it would be, as the levers and mounting on the transmission are the same on all of them. And the length should be the same. Maybe stop by a dealer and take a look at a newer model and see if the boots changed or something?

Rerouting them just moves them from under the motor mount so the motor doesn't rock forward on them. This takes up some of the slack and eliminates the wear the motor mount places on the housing. It doesn't have anything to do with the year of the cable.
:agree::agree: I thought they would have been unchanged also. Just buy the Barnett cable and keep the stocker as a spare.

·
Registered
166 Posts
get er done

:a20:I called every dealer with in 75 miles of here. No one stocks any clutch cables for a 109.:doh: It dosn't always pay to live in sparsely populated areas.:D Mines not broke yet, but when I was cleaning it the other day I saw a few strands coming lose, figured I would go ahead and get one coming.
Good idea to get one now and replace it because it won't take long to break after you see some cable threads separating. Not that they are hard to change, but I wouldn't want to do it on the side of the road miles from the house.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If going back with the stock cable my gut feeling would be to get the latest model. Maybe there has been an updated part or part change to benefit the cable as that seems to be a weak point on the 9. I think im going to go with the barnett cable myself.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have kept a spare for almost two years now and still haven't needed to replace it. Can't say that about the fuel strainer though :D I guess I'll start carrying it under the headlight nacelle...just in case:doorag:

·
Registered
43 Posts
1 wheel peel, I didn't know the cables where different, however I do know that the leavers are different.
I"m not 100% on when, but i think it was about the k8 had the updatedleaver assembly, where the cable dosent bind on the outer sleave as the leaver is pulled.
changining to the later one solves a lot of the cable issues on the earlier models.

gas man

·
Registered
408 Posts
i don't know about clutch cable yet, i have to bring mine in for a problem they had with '06, apparently mine does the same, sometimes when i'm at a stop or red light and it goes green, i'll release the clutch and the bike is not responsive, it's like if the gears were not connecting and makes a weird sound, i can let go of the clutch completely while in first and give it gas and the bike does nothing! then i'll press the clutch and it goes away and sometimes i have to press and release clutch 2-3 times before i can start rolling, the service tech. told me something about a clutch basket or something like that, apparently it un-screws it self or something like that, i don't know i'll find out next week and post the results. :(

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,044 Posts
i don't know about clutch cable yet, i have to bring mine in for a problem they had with '06, apparently mine does the same, sometimes when i'm at a stop or red light and it goes green, i'll release the clutch and the bike is not responsive, it's like if the gears were not connecting and makes a weird sound, i can let go of the clutch completely while in first and give it gas and the bike does nothing! then i'll press the clutch and it goes away and sometimes i have to press and release clutch 2-3 times before i can start rolling, the service tech. told me something about a clutch basket or something like that, apparently it un-screws it self or something like that, i don't know i'll find out next week and post the results. :(
Let us know what you find out. When the clutch tube nut backs off, which has been a problem for quite some time, the clutch won't disengage. You pull the clutch in and the bike keeps moving, which is very dangerous.

It sounds like yours is not engaging at all, which is something new to me. Is the clutch very stiff? Some have had problems with the clutch push rod hanging up, but that makes the clutch very stiff and hard to pull in to release it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Let us know what you find out. When the clutch tube nut backs off, which has been a problem for quite some time, the clutch won't disengage. You pull the clutch in and the bike keeps moving, which is very dangerous.

It sounds like yours is not engaging at all, which is something new to me. Is the clutch very stiff? Some have had problems with the clutch push rod hanging up, but that makes the clutch very stiff and hard to pull in to release it.
clutch is not stiff at all, my problem only happens once in a while, but of course never when the suzuki mechanic is taking it for a test drive, but i explained what happened to the suzuki service tech. and he called somebody from suzuki and since my bike is still under warranty, they want to take a look.

i'm taking my bike there this saturday, they are gonna start working on it monday and be done by wednesday wich is fine by me, saturday will be cold in montreal, but sunny and rain from sunday till wednesday :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts