M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did the LAmonster throttle lock mod this weekend and it works great!:bigthumbsup:
The 1.5" stainless 8-32 screw I got at Lowes is the perfect length. Discard the screw that holds the teflon wedge in place and replace it with a stainless 8-32 nut and cut a triangle shaped wedge out of the ramp of the wedge to accomodate the nut after you drill and tap the boss for the 8-32 screw. There is plenty of metal there to drill and tap but keep the drill as small as you can to ensure a fully formed thread. That will keep it lasting for the life of the bike. I got a Spectre air cleaner nut #4210 at Pep Boys and Doorman 18-14 gauge wire caps (closed end connectors) part #85491 at Advance Auto Parts. Grind the head of the screw small enough to fit inside the threaded hole of the air cleaner nut and epoxied it in with JB Kwick weld. When you cut the skirt off the wire cap and pull the crimp out of the cap and you can trim the remaining length of the cap to determine how much the throttle lock will rotate counter clockwise from the locked position. You will also need a very thin philips screw driver to intall the short screw because of the positioning of the air cleaner nut.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
very cool, I did one to.......then after a yr or so I went to the brakeaway cruise..... First thing to remember is BE CAREFUL and make sure it doesnt hit the tank when its turned all the way to the right.....:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have been considering this mod.... i have a real problem when riding in the front of groups.. for some reason i get distracted and my speed bounces around... i will go form lets say...70 to 60 to 80 and back to 70 with out realising it lol.

Let me know how the clearence is when it comes to hard right turns and your gas tank. If it is to close i will prob just buy the break away cruz.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With no unusual adjustment on the handlebars (slightly down from centered) there is about 5/8" of clearance between it and the tank. I also have the wire cap trimed so that it will only unscrew about a half to three quaters of a turn from the locked position. Even without that close tolerance on the triming I doubt it would ever contact the tank. When it is locked it is not so tight that you can't roll off the throttle by hand in an emergancy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guarantee you do this mod you will be so glad you did not spend
$200:2cool: on that breakaway cruise!!! You will chuckle every time you lock your throttle with it!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have been considering this mod.... i have a real problem when riding in the front of groups.. for some reason i get distracted and my speed bounces around... i will go form lets say...70 to 60 to 80 and back to 70 with out realising it lol.

Let me know how the clearence is when it comes to hard right turns and your gas tank. If it is to close i will prob just buy the break away cruz.
That'll still happen unless you are on a flat road. It's just a throttle lock, not cruise.:dontknow:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tried it.

Wasn't happy with the pressure put on throttle nylon cylinder. Recon it will split it eventually. Fitted a vista. Hadem before. They are cheap $50 AUS and work great. Like most throttle cruise controls, you need to adjust the speed while riding by twisting the throttle a little. I recon this will stuff your original throttle eventually. $$$$$ Oh well. Only my opinion.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
just be careful. this mod will kill you (or at least scare the living :edit: outta you) if you forget its set, and you will at least once!!!!

ive set mine on the highway and rode for 20-30 miles and just forgot. had to hit the brakes quickly and nothing happened. i like the mod. very easy and cheap, but it has its flaws. i still use mine but more carefully now. miss my brakeaway dearly but had to sell it cause it wouldnt work with my newer grips. at least with the brakeaway, if youve got it hooked up right, it goes off when you brake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the warning. I only use mine for a few minutes at a time to give my right hand a rest. I prefer to keep both hands on the bars !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts