M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds crazy, but I'm about to clean the bike for the first time...

First time I rode in the rain, is the first time she got dirty...

Have over 1000 miles on her now and want to give her a good bath...

Any advice as to what cloths to use to clean, how to wash her, and what not?

Or can I just do the same things I use for my truck?

Just don't want to damage anything electrical that might be damaged, or scratch anything or what not...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would use the micro fiber cloths to do any cleaning and/or polishing/waxing. They are great and very kind to your paint. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pro Honda Cleaner!! I swear by this stuff and it is the only thing that touches my bikes. Spray it on and wipe off with either microfiber or terry towles and watch your bike shine :doorag:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pro Honda cleaner is awesome, if you can find it. My dealer never has it anymore, says they can't get it. My guess is the kid in charge doesn't know how to order. Turtle Wax Ice wax is good if the bike has never been waxed. Apply with a damp sponge, remove with microfiber or 100% cotton terry cloth. This stuff is great-safe for black plastic, paint, chrome, no residue. Leaves a good layer of protection. Between waxes, I have tried dozens of different products, on various cars, the best I've found is Eagle One Wet Wipe & Shine. Great on the 109 also. Apply with microfiber, spread out, let dry. Thats it, no buffing, no 2nd step. Good on all surfaces except rubber/vinyl. Good shine, leaves some protection behind. Very fast and easy to use.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used Mr. Clean car wash with a MicroFiber wash cloth. Since the Mr. Clean system you won't need to dry with a towel or anything; makes it easy...
I buy Honda Pro Spray, finishing polish and cleaner, to wipe it down after the bike is dry. You can use the Honda Pro Spray between washes. I know someone that only uses the Pro Spray and has his bike never seen a water hose...

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I second the suggestion for Pro Honda cleaner.... for quick touch ups and cleaning of bugs and grime from bike. That is all I have used to date. That being said, I have noticed that the Pro Honda doesn't seem to protect the finish as well as a quality carnauba wax does. My tank is really starting to show swirl marks... especially around the seat and sides. Apparently the clear coat on the 'zukis is less than stellar, and quite thin. I would recommend cleaning the bike with a mild car wash solution and soft terry cloth or micro fibre cloth rag and finish up with a good coat or two of a high quality wax like Meguiar's or Zymol. Once you have a good protective coat of wax, you can then do the quick detailing before/after rides with Pro Honda or another quick detailer spray. I like the Pro Honda because it's aerosol and not pump so I don't have to worry about the top twisting off and spilling the polish in my saddle bag. Whatever you do, just be sure that all loose dirt and dust is off the paint before you begin scrubbing the bike with any type of rag or you will get major swirl marks. Be sure to use different rags for the wheels and radiator shroud as there will be a lot of grime and bugs that you don't want embedded in the fibres of the cloth when you rub it on the paint.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice for sure for me. I coated the whole bike with it :bigthumbsup: paint, plastic and chrome :doorag:

khrome

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
T O onezero9r said:
Pro Honda cleaner is awesome, if you can find it. My dealer never has it anymore, says they can't get it. My guess is the kid in charge doesn't know how to order. Turtle Wax Ice wax is good if the bike has never been waxed. Apply with a damp sponge, remove with microfiber or 100% cotton terry cloth.  This stuff is great-safe for black plastic, paint, chrome, no residue. Leaves a good layer of protection. Between waxes, I have tried dozens of different products, on various cars, the best I've found is Eagle One Wet Wipe & Shine. Great on the 109 also. Apply with microfiber, spread out, let dry. Thats it, no buffing, no 2nd step. Good on all surfaces except rubber/vinyl. Good shine, leaves some protection behind. Very fast and easy to use.
Why is it good only if the bike has never been waxed?? I was thinking of using this but used some other stuff before while getting ready for a parade. I don't think it would make any difference but just wanted to make sure. :confused:

·
Registered
961 Posts
One thing no one mentioned, to dry your bike and get all the water off of everything and those hard to get places; use a leaf blower. I have an electric one and it gets all the water off the bike. Better than spending $400.00 for that's designed for motorcycles.

C-One

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Meguiars Gold Shampoo for cars and I wash it just like I would my car. Spray it down first and then soap it up real good and then rinse it. I use a Microfiber towel which is best. Then I take it for a quick ride around the block to get the water that I missed to blow off and then dry it off again. Then I wax it everytime I wash it with the Meguiars NXT wax, chrome and all. I do use a Microfiber towel to take the wax off. Don't do it while the bike is hot though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i've been using mother's detail spray for the painted items.. and of course mother chrome polish for the chrome... and plain everyday dionized water (not tap or filter, DI) water for cleaning everythign else.... works great... she looks great all the time... and not even the georgia clay can keep her dirty :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you want to wash her with soap and water be careful not to get too much water under the tank console. The first time I washed mine I just doused the whole bike and afterward nothing on the console worked. I let it set out in the sun the whole next day at work though and I guess it dried out inside and started working again. Now I just spray the tank with a fine mist, but I try to avoid using soap and water as much as possible. Between waxings I use the Meguiar's NXT Quick Detailer.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
vpatrick said:
...Then I wax it everytime I wash it with the Meguiars NXT wax, chrome and all. I do use a Microfiber towel to take the wax off. Don't do it while the bike is hot though.
Ditto. NXT wax, chrome and all with a Microfiber towel. Stuff it great! I also use the NXT QuickWax when I don't have much time.

G

·
I use S100 Total Cycle Cleaner to clean it or Eagle car wash when I run out of S100. Both work great. I dry it with a Metro Air Force Blaster and always use microfiber towels. You can get real good deals on the towels on eBay - like 25 - 16" X 16" microfiber towels for $24 with free shipping.

I've tried a bunch of different waxes/polishes on my cars and bikes and I am sold on Spider (to remove swirl marks) and Glare for wax/polish. This stuff is amazing but a little pricey. You can get it at http://www.autopolish.net/

Rob

·
Registered
585 Posts
Honda Polish !!!........$5.00 a can , Best thing there is :bigthumbsup:

Great for all surfaces .....chrome , metal , plastic , glass , paint , helmet , wheels , mirrors , .....just not tires !

Awsome product ! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Someone on this board was advising not to use the micro fiber cloth because it tended to hold dirt and would scratch your paint. I have notice if you drop it on the garage floor it will hold leaves and sand.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
metric man said:
Someone on this board was advising not to use the micro fiber cloth because it tended to hold dirt and would scratch your paint. I have notice if you drop it on the garage floor it will hold leaves and sand.
I definitely wouldn't use it if I dropped it on the garage floor. If there is any dust or dirt on the paint, it won't matter what you wipe with, as it will cause swirl marks as it scrapes the dust and dirt across the finish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts