M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I introduced my special lady to riding she can't get enough of it. I'd like to be able to make the ride a lot more comfortable for her by having some kind of back rest on the bike, but neither she or I are willing to destroy the bikes looks with a permanent back rest (her words, not mine!)

I think the best thing for me would either by a click in place, or something with a key, or something that is attached to the actual back seat itself....

I do like the option of the self made backrest but I have neither the skills or tools to actually put it together myself. Is there anyone here who would be willing to do the job for me? I will pay of course..

Let me know what my options are!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ric,
Making the backrest is very easy, much easier than most people think. I got all new parts on Ebay including a basket weave rear pad to match the gel seats (another important upgrade for the passanger) for around 80 bucks. It works great and you don't have to put the rails on even for the removable suzuki backrest.

I'm sure someone will help you out local but if not I can knock it out for you but shipping will eat up any savings.

·
Registered
448 Posts

Corbin seats
My wife loves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ric,
Making the backrest is very easy, much easier than most people think. I got all new parts on Ebay including a basket weave rear pad to match the gel seats (another important upgrade for the passanger) for around 80 bucks. It works great and you don't have to put the rails on even for the removable suzuki backrest.

I'm sure someone will help you out local but if not I can knock it out for you but shipping will eat up any savings.
Hey DF,

I am not sure there is anyone local who can help me out but hopefully.. Can you give me some info on the parts that you are talking about? Currently I have the Suzuki Gel seats and I don't want to ruin the nice material on the outside..

Appreciate the advice!

PS. Its cool to see 3 responses from fellow yellows :a18:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Corbin seats
My wife loves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot pricier then what I was hoping for, and I have the Gel Suzuki seats already which I am very happy with! 8) those corbins look nice though.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My wife loves the Jarmin detachable back rest.
from this...

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07
to this...

By bujee1 at 2010-07-07

In 5 minutes!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Seat

I went with a Corban, a little spendy but worth keeping the wife happy and when I remove the seat the back rest goes with it so nothing is attached to the bike

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Jardine quick release with a factory suzuki backrest on mine and my wife loves it. It is very strong, has handles and is really easy to put on and take off.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
I have the Jardine quick release with a factory suzuki backrest on mine and my wife loves it. It is very strong, has handles and is really easy to put on and take off.
Same here

The only thing I don't like running the gel seat, you have to take it off to remove the backrest. Not necessary w/ the stock seat.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have the Jardin and I must say it is very nice. Easy to install and easy to take off after the long trip. My wife and I had the same issue of wanting to have that smooth back look but the 5 hours or so to whatever event we were heading to was tough on her. So I bought one of the Jardin removable and that solved the problem. She really liked the hand rails on the sides for extra support. The first trip with it on was through 4 hours of rain and she felt much safer having that to hold on to instead of AIR.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy crap i just checked out the pricing for that jardine backrest and there is no way I could afford 500 dollars worth of backrest. I was hoping to spend somewhere around 200-250 max :(

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You do not want to check on the strong High rent factory Suzuki stuff then if price is a issue. Mounting Bracket, Swivel backrest and sissy bar, and luggage rack.
I think I paid $600.00 for good strong stuff .But what I did was tig welded stainless spacers on bolts and tapped them. So all I have to do Is remove 4 each 1/4 " long bolts removes and installs all in about 2 min. You get what you pay for.
Good Luck
Dam Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'll post a couple pic's and info this weekend. I didn't want to cut it either but a good seam shop can wrap around the slit. it hides very well and the seat is never on there unless my wife or daughter is on. Mine is the sport hieght so it hits right above the butt not the small of the back like these larger ones. You can buy the longer post vs the sport post and whatever size pad.

Hey DF,

I am not sure there is anyone local who can help me out but hopefully.. Can you give me some info on the parts that you are talking about? Currently I have the Suzuki Gel seats and I don't want to ruin the nice material on the outside..

Appreciate the advice!

PS. Its cool to see 3 responses from fellow yellows :a18:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I have seen the Jardine backrest in person and it is a VERY NICE piece. It comes on and off with ease, too. If I were going to have a backrest, I would go with Jardine.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Holy crap i just checked out the pricing for that jardine backrest and there is no way I could afford 500 dollars worth of backrest. I was hoping to spend somewhere around 200-250 max :(
Yeah, I was lucky. I bought mine like new from here for 250 I think it was

1 - 20 of 36 Posts