M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding around and came to a section of road that was going to be resurfaced, (they took the top 3" layer off the road) and they happened to stop carving the road in the middle of a right blind turn, they somehow forgot to taper it up a bit, so I rode over it at about 45mph and almost lost control, but I rode it out. :eek: Â IÂ kept on going, since I had to go to work, and I didn't feel anything different in how the bike handled (at the time), it rode just fine, so I didn't realize until I got to my destination and saw that both rims had hit the asphalt and bent the lip up on the right side (only)Â :mad:
Here are my Questions,
Is there any danger to continue riding the bike with the bent rims? I have been riding it, and I now noticed that at anything over 80mph there's a vibration, that gets more severe the faster I go.
Can a bent rim be repaired and be as good as new, or is there going to be a problem? because I was going to send them out to get repaired and chromed.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

G

·
I cannot answer your question, but if it bent both, I would report it as damage to whoever is doing the road work. Too many times they do road work and totally have no regard for bikers. Yes we do have a responsibility to ride safely, but they have the responsibility of keeping the road safe for ALL vehicles to ride on the surface until paved. If those have to be replaced, you are looking at some major money.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dude, you need to call your local DOT office. They will pay for a new rim for you...a buddy of mine had the exact same thing happen and the DOT bought him a new rim without even blinking an eye.

·
Registered
414 Posts
GSXR_Drew said:
Dude, you need to call your local DOT office. They will pay for a new rim for you...a buddy of mine had the exact same thing happen and the DOT bought him a new rim without even blinking an eye.
You beat me to it...that's a new rim on them...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I Have a similar question, only my rim was dented due to an accident.
My rear rim was dented in the accident. Insurance is prepard to fix it, instead of repalce it. I'm thinking because it's aluminum, it can't be fixed without weakening it.
Any experts in aluminum repairs? Can they be fixed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The aluminum used in most car wheels can generally be bent back with no ill effects. One issue with many motorcycle rims is that they are made of an alloy containing Magnesium which makes them brittle when bent back. I'm not sure if our wheels are made of the Al containing Mg, but it's worth asking someone who does wheel repair about it as it will save you quite a bit of cash.

G

·
GSXR_Drew said:
Dude, you need to call your local DOT office. They will pay for a new rim for you...a buddy of mine had the exact same thing happen and the DOT bought him a new rim without even blinking an eye.
Happened to me in a Car and Michigan DOT paid and didn't squawk a bit, they just wrote the check.

TAZ

·
Registered
775 Posts
the m109r rims are cast aluminum alloy. they are very strong, but, also very rigid. once a material like that has been bent then bent back again there will be a point of fatigue from the repair. if the dents are small enough, then, the weakness should never be a problem. if the dents are moderate in size and length, i would say get new ones. you don't want a rim busting at 80 mph

·
Registered
44 Posts
FYI - Here in S0-Cal I contacted the DOT office about a pot hole that damaged one of my wheels. There side was that I should have seen the pot hole an avoided it! (WOW!). I had to pay insurance deductable to have insurance replace it.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Had both of my rims bent at the lip on the right side on i-75 in downtown Detroit. Hit a monster pothole that popped up overnight in a right lean going into a curve. MDOT wouldn't even listen to me cause the rules as they quoted to me were " you have to prove that the hole has been there and that they(MDOT) have had a chance (30 days) to repair it and i was told to call my insurance. I did and Got 2 new rims and also kept old rims which i had repaired by a local shop for $150. Mind you the worst of the 2 rims only had a flat spot that was no more then 4 inches and right at the lip. also The rim itself had no scuff marks from the hit. The tire took all the impact and forced the rim up. I have had other rims repaired this way for the same reason and other bikes and cages and i have never had a problem with the repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts