M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted a thread to buy a stock rear wheel. I'm not sure I really need one though. My rear wheel has slight dent in it from a pothole. Just the lip is dented. Is it dangerous to ride it like that? Does it DEFINITELY need to be replaced?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Most likely not, but can you post a pic of it so we can see the damage.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i guess the important thing to ask is, is the bike's handling and riding affected by this? perhaps you can post up some pictures of the wheel so that people can see what you're talking about and then give some feedback. it's kind of hard to tell without seeing what kind of damage was done.
you could take it in to a dealer (hopefully once you can trust) and ask their opinion on the situation. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Take it to a 'wheels shop'.

Fixing pothole lip dings is a common thing.

They will let you know how serious it is.

I have had such dings fixed on cars for about $50.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess the important thing to ask is, is the bike's handling and riding affected by this? perhaps you can post up some pictures of the wheel so that people can see what you're talking about and then give some feedback. it's kind of hard to tell without seeing what kind of damage was done.
you could take it in to a dealer (hopefully once you can trust) and ask their opinion on the situation. :dontknow:
That's the thing. The ride felt all squishy this morning on my way to work. When I got to the garage, that's when I noticed the dent. I went back down just a little while ago to take pictures and decided to check the pressure. It was low. I had a buddy roll the bike forward while i watched the tire, and BINGO! There's a nail. I did some calling around. I can get the e3 250 (that's what's on there now) mounted for $320 or get a used Diablo with around 500m for $200. Just spent $10k on refinancing the house, so I think i'm going with the used Metz. I use the bike to commute, so I can't really wait to order one :'(. In any case, since i'm replacing the tire today, I can have the dealer mechanics look at the wheel also.

I attached a pic of the wheel. Turns out there are two dents. NYC has the worst potholes anywhere.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Probably the reason the rim got dented was due to the low pressure? I keep my E3 250 inflated to 42 psi, and Oklahoma roads being what they are, Pothole alleys, I have yet to have a problem.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That's the thing. The ride felt all squishy this morning on my way to work. When I got to the garage, that's when I noticed the dent. I went back down just a little while ago to take pictures and decided to check the pressure. It was low. I had a buddy roll the bike forward while i watched the tire, and BINGO! There's a nail. I did some calling around. I can get the e3 250 (that's what's on there now) mounted for $320 or get a used Diablo with around 500m for $200. Just spent $10k on refinancing the house, so I think i'm going with the used Metz. I use the bike to commute, so I can't really wait to order one :'(. In any case, since i'm replacing the tire today, I can have the dealer mechanics look at the wheel also.

I attached a pic of the wheel. Turns out there are two dents. NYC has the worst potholes anywhere.
You present us with a tough thing to diagnose.

Your rim dents could be from the ride with low pressure due to a leak from the nail.

The test for if a wheel dent is too bad to just live with is 'will the tire hold pressure'

But with you losing pressure though the nail hole, your low pressure gives little info on how bad the dent is or is not.

If the new tire holds pressure, then the dents are something you can live with. If not, then the dents need to be fixed or the wheel replaced.

If you have a plug kit handy, plug the tire that is on there and put a little extra pressure in there to see if it holds. At least that way you will have a better idea what you are in for when you mount the new tire.

Your tire guy may also tell you the dents are a problem for his mounting, but that is his call as it is a little subjective.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not to blindly post or sound unsafe but i have a similar issue with my bike (dent from pot hole) its on my rear right side. Ive had it for about 6 months now and just havent gotten around to swapping it out. I dont notice anything different no air leakage or anything.... Next pay check im going to get it swapped out just cause i'll have the money and its annoying to see when cleaning the bike.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Chances are that it isn't leaking at the dents. If I were you I would have the tire patched on the inside and order a new tire online and save some bucks. Then when the tire comes in, see if you can find a shop to fix the dents for ya, and get it done at the same time as mounting. There are some business that are mobile and will come to you to fix wheels, do a google search for wheel repair in your area.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

Yikes. Those dents look bad. Very difficult to tell what caused which. Sort of like a chicken and the egg debate. If i had to guess, i would suspect that u got a nail in ur tire first which caused the low pressure which in turn resulted in having two dents. If it was just a bad pothole i would think u would only have one dent.
Btw, i see u mention a elite 3 250 and a used diablo. Where did the used metz come into the picture?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have been fixing aluminum rims on cars for about 20 years don't do many bikes because they are much more sensitive to balance your rim looks like it is flat spoted in two places it probably can be fixed it will have to be heated so it dosent crack if it were mine and damaged in two places I think I would replace it because it would bug the hell out of me weigh your options and do whats best for you good luck with it

·
Registered
901 Posts

If you get ready for a factory rear wheel...contact me. I have several sets I'm sure we can work something out with ya

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dents were WAY WAY worse then they looked on the ground. I went to the dealer that evening after work to get the tire changed and they said they wouldn't do it with the rim like that. Something about the beading being visible where the rim is bent away from the tire. They took me back to look at it while it was on the lift and the dents aren't just at the lip, they actually go all the way to the middle of the wheel! I rode the bike home real slow and just parked it. Haven't even looked at it since or checked this site. Too depressed. Thanks to the guys who pm'd me with offers to sell their wheels. I just responded. Looks like I need one now.

If anyone has a rear wheel in great condition to sell, pm me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts