M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My throttle seems to have a delay. I used to be able to snap the throttle and it would respond right away. Now, it seems a little delayed or it might pop (small backfire). Also, it smells like it may burning a little rich. I have a PCIII...could it need to be reset? Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
This is just a guess, but it could be the secondary throttle control valves aren't working right.

The throttle bodies have two butterfly valves in them. The lower ones are controlled by your throttle, and the upper ones are controlled by the ECM. So if you snap it open too quickly the computer won't let the upper ones open as fast so the bike won't fall on it's face. It works kind of like vacuum secondaries on carburetors, but the ECM controls it instead of engine vacuum. If the secondary throttle valves get out of adjustment I could see it causing your problems. For instance, if they don't open the injectors could still inject fuel but the secondary throttle valves wouldn't open to admit air, so it would be rich. There is a check and adjustment procedure for them posted just a day or so ago, but I'm not sure if that would help or why they would get off. If they aren't working at all it sets the FI light.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rode the 9 to Baltimore this past Saturday, and it burned too much gas. I was full when we left Baltimore and my gas light started flashing just before Wilmington, DE. I was not topped off, but its burning way too fast, we were cruising at about 80-90. Made an appointment for Monday. I hope this does not break me. I'm headed to Myrtle Beach in a few weekS.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was out in the garage looking at my bike and I noticed that the throttle cable seems to have some slack in it and the throttle has a little play in it. Could that be the cause of the rich burning fuel smell, or it burning too much gas? Oh, and none of my lights have come on either.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My throttle seems to have a delay. I used to be able to snap the throttle and it would respond right away. Now, it seems a little delayed or it might pop (small backfire). Also, it smells like it may burning a little rich. I have a PCIII...could it need to be reset? Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? Thanks in advance for any response.
please let me know when you find out the solution.I kinda have the same problem... when I cut the acceleration, the bikes kinds of get sluggish and when i accelerate again some times it makes funny noises like out of timing or valves and is slow responding.. Had something like it on my jeep and it was the carburetor but no idea what it may be in the bike...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
please let me know when you find out the solution.I kinda have the same problem... when I cut the acceleration, the bikes kinds of get sluggish and when i accelerate again some times it makes funny noises like out of timing or valves and is slow responding.. Had something like it on my jeep and it was the carburetor but no idea what it may be in the bike...
I'll let you know. I'm dropping my bike off on Monday. I just noticed the throttle cable today. I hope it's that simple.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
It's not the throttle cable slack, you adjust that to get the feel you want out of the throttle. It doesn't do anything to the mixture. I adjust mine so it has about 1/8" or a little less of grip rotation before it starts pulling on the cable. If I have less than that and I'm on rough roads it makes the throttle jerky. For instance, if you have too little slack and you're coasting and hit a bump, you can inadvertently give it throttle from you hand bouncing.

Are you guys lugging it down too much? It's really happiest running over 2500 rpm if you want decent acceleration out of it. And if you're in 5th at that rpm, it's best to downshift to 4th or 3rd.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually run it around 3000 or so. I just keep smelling gas, and it seems to be burning gas a little faster.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
You do smell gas from them, especially on a hot day. The gas cap is vented so you get odors out of that.

I'd actually check the fuel mileage and see what you're getting. I get between 42 and 44 mpg on mine, but I check it at almost every fillup. From a full tank I drop from 5 bars down to 4 at between 100 and 110 miles, then down to 2 bars by around 150 miles. But I don't go by the gauge for mileage, I fill it up and see how many miles it goes on the next fill up.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
plugs

I got my annual service done today. They said it was not burning rich, it was the plugs. They replaced them, so we'll see if that solves the problem of the delay also. They also tightened up my throttle, it had a little too much play in it.

Enviroser, I don't know how miles you have on your 9, but I guess you can take a look at your plugs. I'm at 6700.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The other thing for "sluggish" bikes is the fuel filter in the tank. Mine got to feeling like it wasn't the same bike. Spitting, popping, major hesitation...I changed the plugs... no difference. I changed that fuel filter and BAM she's back:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Bud, I had the same problem, I have a tfi fuel management system on my 9, I kept my revs at about 2000 rpms, thats when i heard the popping, while keeping the revs there i adjusted the 1st pot on my tfi till i could hear that it was running smoothly, problem sorted, no more sluggish and not popping as much anymore..regards...mike

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'll let you know. I'm dropping my bike off on Monday. I just noticed the throttle cable today. I hope it's that simple.:dontknow:
well mine got solved:bigthumbsup:... Zoom gave the answer.I was letting the bike go under 2500 rpm and that is the reason it was sluggish.... Now will be more careful with the revs...Did you solve yours?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well mine got solved:bigthumbsup:... Zoom gave the answer.I was letting the bike go under 2500 rpm and that is the reason it was sluggish.... Now will be more careful with the revs...Did you solve yours?
I only rode it from the shop, it felt good, but I'll have to chance to ride this weekend and see if it helped. I think I'll try Huff's suggestion about the fuel filter also just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the responses...RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I only rode it from the shop, it felt good, but I'll have to chance to ride this weekend and see if it helped. I think I'll try Huff's suggestion about the fuel filter also just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the responses...RIDE SAFE
Be VERY careful with it. The plastic part is VERY fragile. Don't ask me how I know:eek::eek: Simple job other than all the gas.:D:bigthumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts