M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone. Yesterday I installed the GI pro I bought a month or so ago from DLP. After installation when I went for a ride, the gear indicator started on 3, then showed 1st as 2, then did not change as I shifted.

I shut the bike off, turned the key to ON with the kill switch on RUN, put it in Neutral with the kickstand up as directed in the instructions, then pressed and held the button until "L" came on and flashed. It's supposed to prompt for gears after a few seconds, but never stopped flashing "L."

After several minutes I pressed the button again (supposedly resets to default mode; now it will not even go back into learning mode.

My feeling is that it's a defective unit - did anyone else ever experience this and find a cure?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Pete. I have had "some" problems with mine lately. It has been on the bike for almost 3 yrs. Sometimes showing an "F" on start up and others times also. I did find that it was off or not functioning when it displayed that---way different in the way it ran. I reset mine and it appears to have solved the problem for now. One thing though, I noticed the button would get caught sometimes on the housing and kept it pretty much held in. So look at the button and check for that---could be the entire issue. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I emailed Healtech support, so I imagine I will hear back from them on Monday.

I just tried to set it again after riding to get gas. It displays a zero in neutral, and the rest off the time either a 2 or a 3 (mostly the 2.)

I read in the FAQ that you can try it with the engine running too, still won't set. I got it to flash the L again, and it does not change unless I roll the bike, then it will move between the L and a zero. I managed to get it to prompt for 1st and second gear by rolling the bike back and forth while sitting, but that took over 5 minutes. It never prompted for 3rd, and I am sure it should not need to be rolled to make it change. It sounds almost as if it's picking up a signal from the VSS.

I checked the connector, I do not see any other plugs similar to the one behind the rear cylinder and near the ignition key where I might have plugged it in to the wrong connectors.

I guess it's probably just a factory defect, and I'll post whatever I hear back from HealTech. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears. :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
when mine would not program i wasnt aware that i had another TRE device on my bike so i removed it and bam done like dinner.

i had to do the auto learn while riding because i couldnt go into 5th gear not moving so its all good now.

he will probably get back with you this weekend i bet.:dontknow:

·
Administrator
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, Norbert has been in touch with me and thinks I got the VSS plug. I'll check in the morning - did not see any other similar connectors in this area.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
When i set mine up i put it on the jack and had the wife spin the wheel .While i went threw the gears etc like butter ,,, also done the same on other members bikes ... good luck with youre fix .... just another ideal ...:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Pete, the connector you need is sometimes hidden behind the frame downtube. Mine was, I had to feel behind it and pull it out. The one you need has three wires and one of them is a pink wire leading down to the engine.

I had to have mine learn too, but once it got the gears right it's been good for almost 3 years. Only a couple times has it shown the wrong gear, and I think I was probably not shifting it firmly enough and it wasn't fully in gear. I'm pretty sure that was the case as it also has jumped a couple times to go in gear when it was showing the wrong gear.

I did mine on the lift, with the bike strapped to it and the lift resting on the safety stand and the supports screwed down. Still not easy as the bike lurches when you shift it. I think I put a block of wood under the front tire so it couldn't tilt too far too.

·
Administrator
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Zoom,

are you saying that the connector is in front of the engine? I thought I got to it by removing the right side cover, and it was under the battery box.

edit: Just looked at the JSD installation instructions here: http://www.jsdproducts.com/JSD_Install/m109/m109.html
I'll go re-check this and post results here. Thanks for the help people!

·
Administrator
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was PEBSAH (Problem Exists Between Seat and Handlebars.) - I had the wrong connector. DOH!

It works fine now. Thanks for the input and assistance.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
:a20:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I was replying to "L.T.T."'s post (4 posts above yours). He is having a different issue altogether that does not appear to have been corrected.

darrin
My total misread. I do appoligize. I will delete my post.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Zoom,

are you saying that the connector is in front of the engine? I thought I got to it by removing the right side cover, and it was under the battery box.

edit: Just looked at the JSD installation instructions here: http://www.jsdproducts.com/JSD_Install/m109/m109.html
I'll go re-check this and post results here. Thanks for the help people!
Glad you found it bro. I guess you found out there are down tubes behind the engine too. :D

And I read you response about Healtech, those guys are great. I went back and looked at some emails I exchanged with them when I couldn't get mine to learn, and some of them were over a weekend too. Great customer service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts