M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Black M109R in mid May. Weather has been pretty lousy here (north of Syracuse NY) since then - go figure. I love this bike and I have had many - touring rigs, crotch rockets, even a VTX1800 (sucked compared to the 109).

So, I'm riding to work June 21st going about 65MPH, and from a ditch on the right, a big doe jumps right in front of me!! BAM!! Not even a chance to hit the brakes. Wobbled a bit, but never went down. Made it to work covered in deer blood and called the police. Met them back at the scene of the hit. Dead deer laying in the road.

I am VERY lucky. Right lower leg was messed up a bit, but no broken bones.

So the bike is still in the shop. Estimate was $3700 and change. Fighting with the insurance company now. They want the dent in the tank fixed, and then repainted. I want a new tank!! The bike only has 255 miles on it. I don't get it? You pay and pay for years (no claims) and then one claim and they won't shell out an extra $550? What a racket!

I wonder if black 109s are jinxed? The shop I got mine at sold a black one two weeks before I got mine. Guy takes it out for the first time, loses control, lays it down and hits a tree. Totaled the bike!!! It only had 3 miles on it.

Hope to have mine back in a few weeks. I did order a license frame that reads "DEERSLAYER"

Drive safe all!
Rob

·
Registered
844 Posts
I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, (LOTS of deer) and this is one of my worst nightmares. I'm amazed that you were able to stay on the bike at an impact speed that killed the deer -- that's incredible!

A deer ran right into the driver's side of my Porsche last fall going at full speed (I was going about 65 mph). Did about $6,000 worth of damage. A prominent Indian Cycle dealer up here was killed a couple of years ago in a cycle-deer collision (his wife on the back was uninjured).

At least in Michingan deer collisions go on you comprehensive insurance (fire & theft) -- as opposed to your collision, and you are automatically considered "not at fault". On a new bike, they SHOULD "make it new again" -- I'd take 'em to the mat on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I amazed I never laid it down. It happened so damn fast. I figure I was lucky to not have panick grabbed the front brake. I would have went down for sure. We have a lot of deer around here. Hit one with a car years ago and that was $6700 damage!

This falls under comp here, so no insurance increase, but they are being dinks this time. They want the cycle shop to take the tank to a Chrysler dealer near the shop and have it painted. They don't get it. This is bike, with special black paint on it. The estimator thought it was plain black until I rolled it out in the sun. He still says the car shop can paint it and gave me $228 for the tank repair. I don't know any body shop that would touch a dented tank for $228! I know it will not look good as new, and I am certain the paint won't match the rest of the bike.

I am fighting like a bulldog with them. I will get a new tank out this eventually!!

Rob

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's one of my worst fears (not a deer but a Kangaroo)
Roos are so fast and unpredictable.
Plus a 6-7 footer aint gunna tickle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's only by the grace of God that I have not had a run in with an animal yet. I do a lot of riding at night and see all the glowing eyes on the side of the road. I have ridden with others who have hit a deer, LARGE raccoon, and bird. The closest run-in was a turkey vulture that hit my windscreen at 90 mph on my HD Road King. All I got were claw marks on my windscreen. :clap2:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
VERY fortunate to still be on this board talking to us!! I would fight tooth and nail to get a new tank, but most of all you are gonna be ok!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aussie109 said:
That's one of my worst fears (not a deer but a Kangaroo)
Roos are so fast and unpredictable.
Plus a 6-7 footer aint gunna tickle
I remember slowing to watch a big red 'roo travelling along side the road, in a field. He must have been covering 15 feet with each leap and cleared a 5 foot fence like it was nothing. Very impressive!

·
Registered
211 Posts
RKP000 said:
Ya, I amazed I never laid it down. It happened so damn fast. I figure I was lucky to not have panicky grabbed the front brake. I would have went down for sure. We have a lot of deer around here. Hit one with a car years ago and that was $6700 damage!

This falls under comp here, so no insurance increase, but they are being dinks this time. They want the cycle shop to take the tank to a Chrysler dealer near the shop and have it painted. They don't get it. This is bike, with special black paint on it. The estimator thought it was plain black until I rolled it out in the sun. He still says the car shop can paint it and gave me $228 for the tank repair. I don't know any body shop that would touch a dented tank for $228! I know it will not look good as new, and I am certain the paint won't match the rest of the bike.

I am fighting like a bulldog with them. I will get a new tank out this eventually!!

Rob
I don't get it. It will cost about the same to put Bondo and have the gas tank painted.... ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
about the black 109 being jynxed, all i can say is that the 109 is not for inexperienced riders. the guy who hit a tree 1st time out should of been on a moped. peace, i'm out.

·
Registered
686 Posts
RKP000 said:
Got my Black M109R in mid May. Weather has been pretty lousy here (north of Syracuse NY) since then - go figure. I love this bike and I have had many - touring rigs, crotch rockets, even a VTX1800 (sucked compared to the 109).

So, I'm riding to work June 21st going about 65MPH, and from a ditch on the right, a big doe jumps right in front of me!! BAM!! Not even a chance to hit the brakes. Wobbled a bit, but never went down. Made it to work covered in deer blood and called the police. Met them back at the scene of the hit. Dead deer laying in the road.

I wonder if black 109s are jinxed? The shop I got mine at sold a black one two weeks before I got mine. Guy takes it out for the first time, loses control, lays it down and hits a tree. Totaled the bike!!! It only had 3 miles on it.
With only 3 miles on it I'm guessing the tires weren't scuffed up at all, and still quite slick. He probably took a corner too fast. With that much power and brand new tires, and an inexperienced rider you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fight on the tank - you'll win... keep using these words "Like, Kind and Quality"

The shop I got mine at sold a black one two weeks before I got mine. Guy takes it out for the first time, loses control, lays it down and hits a tree. Totaled the bike!!! It only had 3 miles on it.

Hope the dealer who sold it to him feels good about making a sale to a noob and almost killing him. :edit:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:
After many calls, two estimators looking at bike, I give up with State Farm! They are firm - "The tank can be fixed and painted". My agent says he is "going to make some more calls". After all the arguing, it came down to $330 between fixing the tank and replacing it with new. I am sick of waiting, I want it fixed - it's time to RIDE!!!

Service manager at bike shop asked me to come to the shop today. He had an idea.

The lower triple clamp has a tiny nick (quarter inch long) behind the right front turn signal. It has to be pointed out or you'd never see it.

Estimator gave me money for clamp ($468) + 3.5 hours of labor @ $79.00/hr to replace it. Add in the price of paint and labor to fix tank, plus new badges and labor to apply them and I end end up with about $450 more than the cost of a new tank.

So, new tank is on order, plus repair manual, chrome drive shaft cover and crankcase chrome milled cover! In the end I will have about $150 in my pocket and that includes deductible. One other plus, is I get the tank with a small dent in it. May try fixing and flaming it, or put it on this board for sale? I would post pics.

As soon as it's fixed, I am dropping State Farm. Any recommendations for 109 insurance with collision?

This board is great!! I have ordered a ton of stuff over the last 2 weeks based on all the posts!

Thanks to everyone for all the great information and links!
Rob

·
Registered
360 Posts
tell me about the insurance racket . a buzzard flew into my truck and took out my windshild . that is on insurance as an acccident . that sux . :cus:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have progressive ins, and was made mostly whole on my vtx when it was stolen.

Be sure to itemize your "accesories" with the ins co as you will not get that back unless you have "accesories" Itemized.

TAZ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts