M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I was riding my M109R when a deer (small doe) T-boned the bike and me. It hit the front to middle part of the left side of the bike. I was going 45-50 mph. I caught just a glimpse of the deer before impact. I was aware and watching for deer, but this thing came out of a field with tall grass at a full run. All I could do at that point was hold on. The bike took the impact well. I stayed upright the entire time. I did get a little sideways a few times while coming to a stop, probably from over applying the rear brake. I felt like I was doing everything right up to that point and I was trying to be safe with the exception of riding a bit too earlier in the morning (6:30am). I also have loud pipes (Swept Cobras – debaffled). Amazingly I suffered only minor contusions to my left leg. My bike has a broken front fender, broken left airbox cover, broken front turn signal stay (Chrome mount) and a slightly bent gear shifter. My bike starts just fine as long as it is in neutral. As soon as I put it in gear though it cuts off. So I am posting this for two main reasons; one: to caution other riders of wildlife and two: to find out why my bike will not run when put into gear. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and stay safe!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
thanks for the deer info to beware of as the bike is the kickstand up when you put it in gear

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK! Sounds like the kickstand switch is messed up :agree:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Sounds to me like its working ok. When the kickstand is down it shuts down the motor if you try to put it in first. :joke: Did you get to eat the dear?.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
Same here, glad you are OK bro. Deer here are thicker than hair on a dog, and it keeps the nerves on edge in mornings and evenings.

The kickstand switch is all I can think of too. It's a plunger style switch right at the top of the kickstand mount. The kickstand has a small tab that depresses the switch when you move it up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice skills Bro :bow:.....glad you are OK :congrats:.....the ride can be fixed. Ride safe

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
This is the time for deer. Glad it was not serious (for you) bikes can be replaced. Last October, my dad hit one going 70mph on his C50. He was very lucky to not of been killed. Several broken bones & some road rash. Same thing it ran out from the weeds & there was no time to react. Happened in the middle of the afternoon 1:00PM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses. After reading the unanimous kickstand switch diagnosis I hobbled out to the bike and started investigating (I know I should probably be resting). At first look everything seemed fine. The switch is in good operating condition and measured fine with my Fluke (making and breaking continuity when working the plunger). I then decided to take the chrome cover off (the one just behind the crankcase) to get a better look. And that’s when I noticed the problem. The wires leaving the kickstand switch runs under this cover. Either my leg or the deer, possibly both, impacted this cover hard enough to bend the bottom stud bolt and bend the cover enough to cut the wires in two. I have not spliced the wires back together yet to try it, but I feel confident this is the culprit.
Thanks for all the great advice. Just another reason to love this website!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.