M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M109'ers,

Almost done with the mods and still thinking of debadging my girl. I've seen a couple of post stating to heat with hair dryer or heat gun, etc... then just slide some dental floss behind the badge and it should come right off. Does this sound about right. Will i have any issues with residual glue or anything, or should it all pretty much just come off with a good cleaning. :dontknow: Thanks.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
M109'ers,

Almost done with the mods and still thinking of debadging my girl. I've seen a couple of post stating to heat with hair dryer or heat gun, etc... then just slide some dental floss behind the badge and it should come right off. Does this sound about right. Will i have any issues with residual glue or anything, or should it all pretty much just come off with a good cleaning. :dontknow: Thanks.
just finish it up with some 220 grit and you should be fine ....

use some hydrochloric acid to remove any residue left over ....

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm sure there is a FULL how to if u do a search. If I remember correctly, something like a bug and tar remover or a goo be gone should do it.

Oh, and you set yourself up for that last response:clap2:. I knew that was coming. Good luck with the mod.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm sure there is a FULL how to if u do a search. If I remember correctly, something like a bug and tar remover or a goo be gone should do it.

Oh, and you set yourself up for that last response:clap2:. I knew that was coming. Good luck with the mod.
There are dozens if not hundreds of posts on this site and thousands on the internet on almost every forum from the import tuners to the truck and 4X4 sites on how to debadge .....

I started with goo gone however I found that it sucked ... I ended up useing a water soluable solvent .....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ghost, yeah, as soon as I hit submit and re-read it, I KNEW it was coming. But that's why i love this forum. It's all in fun. And had someone not "gotten" me, i wouldn't have respected any of you.. hahahah he HAD to do it... hahah :doh:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ghost, yeah, as soon as I hit submit and re-read it, I KNEW it was coming. But that's why i love this forum. It's all in fun. And had someone not "gotten" me, i wouldn't have respected any of you.. hahahah he HAD to do it... hahah :doh:
OK , now seriously .....

I used old style braided fishing line and WD40 as a lubricant. The braided line can act like a saw through the spongy glue / adhesive. Doing this on a hot day is best as you will have little to no resistance on removing the badges .... clean up with a mild solvent followed by some soap and water to remove the solvent and a coat of wax is all that is left ....

If you do a search on the net and not just this forum you will find a few different ways of skinning the same cat , but you will have an option you feel most comfortable with ...

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
For heat, you can just let it sit in the sun for an hour. You do not NEED heat, it just makes it softer.

Oops is a good solvent to use for the residue but lacking that, gas works better but not not smell quite as nice.

You are going to wash either off afterward anyway, so if you are lacking in solvents, dip a rag into your tank.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It was a little over a 100 outside so I parked the bike in the driveway, had lunch and watched a movie. All the stickers came off real easy. The tank badges were a little more work. I wrapped some spider wire around a bolt and put a nut on the end to make some nice handles. I sprayed the left over tape with bug and tar remover, let it soak wiped and repeated.

·
Registered
838 Posts
3M adesive remover. Found it at wal mart.
I didn't do heat, floss or fishing line. I pulled the badges back far enough to get a knife between the badge and tank to cut the two sided tape that's holding it in place.
As the saying goes. "There's more ways than one to skin a cat" take note on what you have read and try the one you feel best works for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did mine with nothing but dental floss just to get it started and then pulled them off by hand. came off in one piece and no adhesive left.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Just got done doing mine, thanks for the pointers guys! Looks great

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.