M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a little input and I know you guys (and gals) will give me more than enough ideas. I've been a subscriber to Cycle World and Motorcyclist magazines for many years and look forward to thier monthly arrivals. But lately it seems the subject matter is less and less interesting- DucattiDucattiDucatti, Multi this, off-road that, MV Agusto, dirt bikes,and at least two articles about some Harley nameplate that has gone 'black'. whatever that means.
So I've decided they need our help. I'm writing a letter to suggest a comparo of epic proportion, to finally lay to rest all the hype and hyperbole. I need a list of the top power cruisers, the bikes that we pull up next to at stoplights and give a nod of respect to.
Inline fours are OUT! As are any bikes by Ducatti, Aprillia, MV, and Boss Hoss. So far, my choices are as follows (listed from 'definitely in' to 'could get bumped'):
(1) M109R
(2) HD Vrod Muscle
(3) Triumph Rocket III
(4) Victory Hammer
(5) Yamaha Warrior
(6) Honda VTX 1800
(7) Kawasaki Vulcan
(8) Raider
(9) Triumph Thunderbird

I think 8 is the magic number so somebody has to go. So if you could organize a showdown......WHO DO YOU INVITE?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Easy they should all be twins. That pulls the rocket out of contention. Like yu said Multis are out. And cruiser style in.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm looking for a little input and I know you guys (and gals) will give me more than enough ideas. I've been a subscriber to Cycle World and Motorcyclist magazines for many years and look forward to thier monthly arrivals. But lately it seems the subject matter is less and less interesting- DucattiDucattiDucatti, Multi this, off-road that, MV Agusto, dirt bikes,and at least two articles about some Harley nameplate that has gone 'black'. whatever that means.
So I've decided they need our help. I'm writing a letter to suggest a comparo of epic proportion, to finally lay to rest all the hype and hyperbole. I need a list of the top power cruisers, the bikes that we pull up next to at stoplights and give a nod of respect to.
Inline fours are OUT! As are any bikes by Ducatti, Aprillia, MV, and Boss Hoss. So far, my choices are as follows (listed from 'definitely in' to 'could get bumped'):
(1) M109R
(2) HD Vrod Muscle
(3) Triumph Rocket III
(4) Victory Hammer
(5) Yamaha Warrior
(6) Honda VTX 1800
(7) Kawasaki Vulcan
(8) Raider
(9) Triumph Thunderbird

I think 8 is the magic number so somebody has to go. So if you could organize a showdown......WHO DO YOU INVITE?
I think you have these in the wrong order!:dontknow:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not bad. I'd lose the Rocket, Raider, Kawi, and that should do it.

Personally I no longer care for magazine write ups anymore. Forums are the best place to get good info. Nothing beats the end user imo.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Personally I no longer care for magazine write ups anymore. Forums are the best place to get good info. Nothing beats the end user imo.
:agree: but still nice to have a mag to read in the great throne room. :joke:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Magazine?

Yeah, what's this magazine thing you speak of?..........It kind of sounds familiar, like a slide rule or an eight track player.:D
Those guys are so out of it nowadays. I don't see many MV Augustas or Moto Guzzis on the roads around here.
They can't compete with the forums so why try.
I only read those at the store while waiting for my wife to shop. Why would I buy one? Some sports bike racer telling me my bike's too big? Do I care what he thinks? Not really.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Good list bro. Honda has dropped the VTX 1800 from their line up so you could take it off. I honestly think the Raider and Vrod Muscle are the only two bikes on the list that would give the 9 a run.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good list bro. Honda has dropped the VTX 1800 from their line up so you could take it off. I honestly think the Raider and Vrod Muscle are the only two bikes on the list that would give the 9 a run.
:agree: ... VTX1800 is no, more... it gets the axe

Yamaha dropped the Warrior in the US for 2010 too... Still available in other parts of the globe though like Canada, Eh? So I guess it could stay on the list for those brethren around the world.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
I get both of the same magazines and have noticed the same thing. I don't recall which one it is, but if half of their articles aren't about Ducatis I'm surprised. I get tired of the Hypermotard everything in it too. Even the letters to the editors occasionally mention how many Ducatis they review.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah - I've noticed the same thing. I've wondered if Ducati, MV Augusta, etc. must be wining and dining the editors or dropping off truck-loads of schwag with the bikes...

I'd like to see the M90 reviewed - from what I've read it can hang pretty well in the twisties with the M109 but would get left behind in the straights...

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
(1) M109R
(2) HD Vrod Muscle
(3) Triumph Rocket III----I-3 take this off the list(sorry but needs to be a twin)
(4) Victory Hammer
(5) Yamaha Warrior
(6) Honda VTX 1800
(7) Kawasaki Vulcan---doesnt really have a "sport" model
(8) Raider
(9) Triumph Thunderbird--interesting bike that i wouldnt mind owning one

id take 3 and 7 off and add the M90. it may not have the ass in the straights but would make up for it in the corners.

and there you have 8. just my $0.02:bigthumbsup:
either way it would be a great write up.

oh and dont forget if you want to take out the VTX1800 honda is coming out with there new 1300 custom line that includes the sabre, also a bike i would own.

·
Registered
179 Posts
(1) M109R
(2) HD Vrod Muscle
:drool: Night Rod Special (that's the one we're always being compared to!)
(3) New Triumph Rocket III ROADSTER (though it isn't a V-Twin)
(4) Victory Hammer
(5) Yamaha Warrior
8) Raider
(7) Triumph Thunderbird (though I test rode one of those and it feels like Vanilla pudding compared to the 9!)
(8) Honda FURY/Sabre....MAYBE?!

·
Registered
128 Posts
New versus old!

Night Rod
Rocket
VFR1200

Versus-

V65 Magna or Sabre
ZL 900 Eliminator
V Max (old)
GPZ750 Turbo

Would be interesting!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Popular Mechanics Did a power cruiser review last year. they included

M109R
Hammer
VTX1800
Vulcan 2000
Night Rod
Warrior
Rocket III

Alot of good info.

Steve

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
(1)M109R
(2)Triumph Rocket III
(3) HD Nightrod
(4)Yamaha Warrior
(5)Honda VTX 1800
(6)Kawasaki MeanStreak
(7)Victory Hammer
(8)Triumph Thunderbird

This is what my list would look like.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
its just not a bigpapa list.....:bigthumbsup:

Come on u guys, we all like pictures! LOL Do a picture top 10... ;)

:bigthumbsup: LMAO

1 - 20 of 24 Posts