M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan a trip to Deals Gap for sometime in October of this year. Anybody know anything about the area, places to stay, things to see, anytime better than another?

I am still trying to work out details, I need to buy a trailer also.

I look forward to seeing what you guys have for suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live 40 miles from the "Dragon". You have several options. You can stay at Deals Gap itself, but the rooms are pretty spartan with bunk beds etc. 12 miles away is Robinsville, NC with much nicer motels and restaurants.

There are many rides that will blow your socks off. If you would like, give me a PM before you come and I would be glad to show them to you. October gets pretty cool so bring your leathers, long johns and rain gear. The trees are spectacular the last part of October. It really adds to the ride when you have all the colors.

Near Deals Gap are other towns that are great to visit such as Gatlinberg, TN, Pidgeon Forge, TN and Cherokee, NC. It is an hours ride to Helen, GA (another great spot to see), and "Ashville, NC. Rides to take are the Cherohala (?) Skyway, Smokey Mt Parkway, Hwy 28 and 1310.

Look forward to riding with you if you like.

Gary

·
Registered
133 Posts
wow sailor summed it up! we stayed at the ironhorse, they got an awsome gameroom with a pool table. is 20 miles or so away down 28 but 28 is a good warm up for the dragon! Shoot 129 is awsome(turn left out of the store instead of right to the dragon)
some great scenery and some cool damns.

check out www.killboy.com for some pics as well.

a few things to remember, Stay on your side of the yellow, and let faster riders pass. if one can do those to things one will have a blast, if one doesnt do those things one can die from a head on, or get beat up by the locals!! just a little heads up!!

G

·
I am going to go to the BBQ in Hendersonville NC and staying there as well. I have three days to go riding. Is it possible to ride the Dragon from there. I am not familiar with the area at all and was hoping for some input and this seems like the right thread. Are there any other roads in the area? Or are they the same as previously posted? Thanks.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
toneout said:
I am going to go to the BBQ in Hendersonville NC and staying there as well. I have three days to go riding. Is it possible to ride the Dragon from there. I am not familiar with the area at all and was hoping for some input and this seems like the right thread. Are there any other roads in the area? Or are they the same as previously posted? Thanks.
You can get to the Drangon from there but I can't remember how far it is, not far if I remember right. The whole area has great roads to ride, just pick one. :doorag:

·
Registered
181 Posts
sailor34957 said:
12 miles away is Robinsville, NC with much nicer motels.

October gets pretty cool so bring your leathers, long johns and rain gear. The trees are spectacular the last part of October. It really adds to the ride when you have all the colors.
Gary
Hey Gary,

I'm going to be staying at the Two Wheel Inn in Robinsonville the week of September 17 through 23rd. What's the weather like then? Do you think I'd need to bring a leather jacket?

Thanks - Erich

G

·
Lamonster said:
You can get to the Drangon from there but I can't remember how far it is, not far if I remember right. The whole area has great roads to ride, just pick one. :doorag:
I went to Google Earth and looked. Lots of curvy roads to get lost on. I can't wait.

·
Registered
133 Posts
make sure you ride by killboy.com and moonshinephoto.com alot on the dragon!! more times past them the more pics you can get, maybe even find a few cool ones you will buy...

·
Registered
67 Posts
September is normally cool (high 50 to low 60's in the morning) and then gets up to mid to upper 70s during the day. It can get as high as mid 80's. I can wear my leather jacket now (64 in the mornings) but it gets hot by noon. Also remember that you will be at higher altitude so it will be 5-10 degrees colder.

The ride from Hendersonville to the Gap is quite a ways. My guess is around 80-100 miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys :bigthumbsup: After looking at some of the pictures on Killboy.com I can't wait to go. I just got to get everything to fall into place :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
:cop: :cop: Warning PoPo Alert at Deals' Gap and the Cherohola Skyway!!!!! :cop: :cop:
I just got back from there on Sunday and the State Troopers are Patrolling the Gap and the Skyway hot and heavy...I heard because of a fatality they had up on the Gap early last week. The Troopers were on BMW R bikes running radar and writing lots of tickets (guess they have to pay for them Beemers some how) I was not on my new M109 but on my Kaw Concours set up with a radar detector leading our little group of sport tourers and we lucked out and didn't get pinched (Thank you Mr. Passport 8500). :D Anyway we ran across the Troopers twice on the Gap and once running on the Skyway. We stayed over in Maggie Valley (nice place to stay with cheap rooms at the Holiday Motel) and rode the Gap/Skyway on Friday then on Saturday we rode the Blue Ridge Parkway over towards Ashville and did some nice roads going up to Chimney Rock, NC. It rained cats and dogs on Saturday night in Maggie Valley and we heard on the local TV station on Sunday morning when we were about to leave to ride home that they closed part of the Blue Ridge between Maggie Valley and Waynesville due to a rock/mud slide that killed two people...so we had to take the long way around out of Maggie Valley to Hwy 74. All in all it was a great riding trip...I think we did about 1200 miles round trip. When I retire I'm thinking of moving up to that area as they have some great roads...even the four lane interstate type roads have twisties in them. :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
the fuzz is a bit heavy this year, mostly from bikes pissing off the locals by flying by there houses at 100+ miles an hour, on roads near the dragon. also the guy who died last week was a Police officer on vacation, if that dont stir the pot up a little i dont know what will. main rule of advice, stop at the deals gap store and talk to some of the locals about police activity, and keep an eye out for people patting the top of their helmets(sign of cops).......

Waltert said:
:cop: :cop: Warning PoPo Alert at Deals' Gap and the Cherohola Skyway!!!!! :cop: :cop:
I just got back from there on Sunday and the State Troopers are Patrolling the Gap and the Skyway hot and heavy...I heard because of a fatality they had up on the Gap early last week. The Troopers were on BMW R bikes running radar and writing lots of tickets (guess they have to pay for them Beemers some how) I was not on my new M109 but on my Kaw Concours set up with a radar detector leading our little group of sport tourers and we lucked out and didn't get pinched (Thank you Mr. Passport 8500). :D Anyway we ran across the Troopers twice on the Gap and once running on the Skyway. We stayed over in Maggie Valley (nice place to stay with cheap rooms at the Holiday Motel) and rode the Gap/Skyway on Friday then on Saturday we rode the Blue Ridge Parkway over towards Ashville and did some nice roads going up to Chimney Rock, NC. It rained cats and dogs on Saturday night in Maggie Valley and we heard on the local TV station on Sunday morning when we were about to leave to ride home that they closed part of the Blue Ridge between Maggie Valley and Waynesville due to a rock/mud slide that killed two people...so we had to take the long way around out of Maggie Valley to Hwy 74. All in all it was a great riding trip...I think we did about 1200 miles round trip. When I retire I'm thinking of moving up to that area as they have some great roads...even the four lane interstate type roads have twisties in them.  :p

G

·
My days of trying to be Nicky Hayden are over. I appreciate that others like to do that but it is more about slowing down and enjoying myself. You get to see more, hear more and sometimes unfortunately smell more when you do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts