M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting the bike back from the initial service i asked the service manager if he found anythying untoward and he answered no.
I asked if he changed the oil and filter - yes.
Final drive oil -Â no. HuH ?
"But the book says to change it" ? - "no. not really neccessary" says he. DuH ?

Ok i got on my bike and left. They had also gutted the exhaust for me by completely cutting away the first wall and the second wall , inner pipe baffles and all. ie i can stick my fist halfay up the pipe now. took a bit of getting used to but it sounds pretty good.

I did 250 Km or 156 odd miles and decided to check the new oil.Â
Did it per the book.
No oil on the dipstick.
Did it again an hour later in disbelief and self doubt - no oil on the dipstick.
Decided to put a little in. Tested again, overfull by a lot.

QUESTION: whats the quantity between the min and max marks on the dipstick ?

Decided to siphon some offÂ

TIP: ( took a typical spray bottle mechanism and inserted the tube into the filler hole and pumped some out very easily.)

Then my eyes stretched quite wide because the oil i pumped out was practically black with even some sediment collecting at the bottom after a bit of standing. I now doubt whether the shop actually changed the oil / filter.

QUESTION: what would you expect the colour of the new oil to be after 250 km / 150 miles after the first oil change ?

I will be changing the oil and filter and diff oil myself ( again ) regardless.
Left: oil in question. Right: brand new oil for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Doesn't it say on the warrantee that you have to perform the listed service items in order to keep your warrantee??? I know the final drive oil change IS listed and your
A$$HOLE stealer is about to void your warantee if some thing goes wrong back there....Also, saw on some of the posts that a couple of these members had REALLY DIRTY final drive oil after just a couple hundred miles.......Don't fall for it!!!!!!

BlkM109r said:
call suzuki and report them

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say that my oil, as viewed thinly adhering to the dipstick also looks nice and golden yellow. But collect it in any bulk .. as i have done and its way darker and dreadful looking.
Anyone ever taken a good dollop out and noted its colour soon after a service ?

skin.

G

·
They didn't change it :verymad: it should be golden, also by all means change your gear oil, when I did mine there where metal shavings everywhere and the stuff was nasty, I did it again at 4000 and at 9000 just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
MOST CERTAINLY change your gear oil as Firecat suggests... When I did my 1000km (600 miles to the metric confussed) service I cleaned probably a half to three-quarters of an ounce of metal out of my rear oil and crank case combined. I had a big magnet in the pan I drained it out into for this very reason.. Was curious about two things, 1) just how much metal collected in the oil over the first 600 miles or so, and 2) just how freakin strong is a neodinium magnet anyway.

Answer to #1, .5 to .75 ounces (guesstimation)
Answer to #2 Holy :edit: :edit: :edit: Batman, this thing is STOUT! As a side note do NOT get it stuck to the ferrous parts of the frame, it doesn't like to come off.

Oh, and as an addition, let me say that I would report these butt heads to not only Suzuki, but also the local Better Business Bureau (if ya have one or something like it there). People need to know they aren't reputable!

G

·
skindiver said:
After getting the bike back from the initial service i asked the service manager if he found anythying untoward and he answered no.
I asked if he changed the oil and filter - yes.
Final drive oil - no. HuH ?
"But the book says to change it" ? - "no. not really neccessary" says he. DuH ?

Ok i got on my bike and left. They had also gutted the exhaust for me by completely cutting away the first wall and the second wall , inner pipe baffles and all. ie i can stick my fist halfay up the pipe now. took a bit of getting used to but it sounds pretty good.

I did 250 Km or 156 odd miles and decided to check the new oil.
Did it per the book.
No oil on the dipstick.
Did it again an hour later in disbelief and self doubt - no oil on the dipstick.
Decided to put a little in. Tested again, overfull by a lot.

QUESTION: whats the quantity between the min and max marks on the dipstick ?

Decided to siphon some off

TIP: ( took a typical spray bottle mechanism and inserted the tube into the filler hole and pumped some out very easily.)

Then my eyes stretched quite wide because the oil i pumped out was practically black with even some sediment collecting at the bottom after a bit of standing. I now doubt whether the shop actually changed the oil / filter.

QUESTION: what would you expect the colour of the new oil to be after 250 km / 150 miles after the first oil change ?

I will be changing the oil and filter and diff oil myself ( again ) regardless.
Left: oil in question. Right: brand new oil for comparison purposes.

OMG I would so be there with that while asking for my money back. LOSERS!!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
i just had my 600 mile done on the 9-29-06 after reading this i went and looked at my paper work they gave me after servicing. quess what they had the box checked that they check the final gear oil but did not change it. okey now im pissed off so bad im pissing blood lol. i called the dealer and told them the 411 and said in the book it has an R next to final drive, means REPLACE. i called them and they said bring it in first thing tomorrow. okey cool now i want something free..

G

·
I would take it straight to the owner of the dealership and calmly speak to him and express your concerns. If that doesn't work than I would get hold of my local Better Business Bureau. I think if you show him/her the oil it will drive the point home. Someone needs to step up for what they did bro.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Bruno said:
I would take it straight to the owner of the dealership and calmly speak to him and express your concerns. If that doesn't work than I would get hold of my local Better Business Bureau. I think if you show him/her the oil it will drive the point home. Someone needs to step up for what they did bro.
Spot on exactly my thoughts... And if you had to PAY for that crappy service then I think they should refund your money or give you equivalent store credit for it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a reason that the oil can still be dirty. The 109 has 4 one way oil pumps in the motor so at all times there is 1.6 lt of oil that can not be removed this is so that the 109 always has a wet start up and in theory should last forever .. I had the same thing with my 109 and i did the service with my mechanic but we did change the diff oil and you should complain about that hope this helps cheers

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Changed my own oil at the first service, did both the engine and the differential. Both came out dark, almost black and full of metal bits. Put in Amsoil oil,filter and gear lube and put at least another 200 miles on it, last I checked it was still the same color it was when it went in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i changed my own oil and diff oil. the engine oil after 3000 miles is still about the same color as it was when it whent in...purple ;) for the longest time i had to really look at my oil stick just to see the oil. kinda sucks. but the oil is still good. im going to change it soon just for the fact of the matter. but as everybody here take that oil in and talk to the owner of the shop. that is B.S. and i would be doing everything possible to keep my cool. until he told me to so what.

·
Registered
414 Posts
WA109 said:
Doesn't it say on the warrantee that you have to perform the listed service items in order to keep your warrantee??? I know the final drive oil change IS listed and your
A$$HOLE stealer is about to void your warantee if some thing goes wrong back there....Also, saw on some of the posts that a couple of these members had REALLY DIRTY final drive oil after just a couple hundred miles.......Don't fall for it!!!!!!
American Suzuki phone # (714) 572-1490

1 - 20 of 30 Posts