M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 M109R BOSS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sun is shining, a warm breeze is blowing, I just finished work for 5 weeks, I throw a leg over the Beast, insert and turn the key, flick the kill switch off and press the starter.... CLICK. Dead battery. The bike is 2 weeks old and has 500kms on it.

I called the shop where I bought it. They asked me if I plugged in the trickle charger after everytime I ride it? The answer was (what I thought) an obvious no.

So then comes my question to all those with more than 2 weeks experience on an M109R:

1. Has anyone got a dead battery in the first few months of riding?
2. Do people actually plug their bikes in after each time they ride?
3. Are there any common electrical issues with these bikes?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
I have had a new battery go bad in a week or two, but it's very uncommon. I've bought literally hundreds of batteries for bikes, cars/trucks, mowers, etc. in my lifetime and I've had one or two.

I only keep mine on a maintenance charger during the off season, not in riding season. They do have a small electrical draw from the clock but not enough to drain it in a month or less.

No common electrical issues that I've seen that would cause a battery to die in that short of a time. Make sure you're taking the key out when it's in the off position, if you turn it back one click from there it turns on the tail light and that will definitely drain it. I think it's called the Park position, and it might show P on the switch.

Did you try charging it back up?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
There is a parking setting on the ignition switch.
If you turn the key past the off position it will keep the tail light on.
If you happen to do this and do not notice when you park the bike, you will have a dead battery the next day.
Maybe not your issue, but it happens to a lot of guys when they first by a Boulevard. See this issue come on the FB pages all the time.

EDIT....saw Zoom already covered this after I posted. :)

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
2022 M109R BOSS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely wasn't the Parking Position. Still a complete unknown. Maybe fate was keeping from a ticket or worse, an accident.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I bought a battery tester on Amazon for $40 recently. With all of our vehicles I didn't want to have to bring the batteries into town to have them tested. It performs very well and will also check the starting and charging circuits.
Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Portable communications device Carpet sweeper

·
Registered
2022 M109R BOSS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have to acquire a testing unit. Power is leaking somewhere. I put the battery-tender on, charged it full and the next day it was dead again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I may have to acquire a testing unit. Power is leaking somewhere. I put the battery-tender on, charged it full and the next day it was dead again.
If it were me, I would buy a $50 battery off of Amazon and eliminate the possibility of your current battery being dead-dead. Or, take it out of the bike and charge it up. Connect it and start the bike. Remove battery again and let it sit for two days. Connect it and see if it starts. At least then you know if you are chasing a rogue electrical issue or just have a buggered battery.

·
Registered
2022 M109R BOSS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled the lead wires from the battery and charged it. Reattached the cables, still nothing. Tried using my other bike to jump it, still wouldn't start. So I brought out the big guns... Dodge Grand Caravan. It had the amperage to get it started. I drove it straight to the dealership. 20 minutes of driving. Got there. Turned it off, tried to turn it back on... Nothing. It has to be the battery. Possibly the alternator. Anyway, it's the dealerships problem.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
I pulled the lead wires from the battery and charged it. Reattached the cables, still nothing. Tried using my other bike to jump it, still wouldn't start. So I brought out the big guns... Dodge Grand Caravan. It had the amperage to get it started. I drove it straight to the dealership. 20 minutes of driving. Got there. Turned it off, tried to turn it back on... Nothing. It has to be the battery. Possibly the alternator. Anyway, it's the dealerships problem.
Excellent choice. While I prefer doing my own work, on something that new I would take it back to the dealer myself. (y)

·
Registered
384 Posts
AutoZone cant even keep some battery in stock like a EX-14 that means a tender absolutely! I will argue this to anyone, I had same battery in my mower that sits ALL winter (as does my bike) for over 5 years some these do not last a year without one! Anyone doesn't use one I think your are nuts! Espcially you live in area you can not ride year round! San Diego maybe be bit different specifically if its daily driver but I'd still use one!

Reactions: Joe RC51

·
Registered
384 Posts
Its has bad cell take to charger/tester most AZ will do for free but I will put money on bad cell... They making them with less quality more and more past few years I have had GOLD batteries that used last 4-5 years not make it two now! They slapping GOLD labels on the old RED battery if you ask me and then jack up price make platinum version now!

·
Registered
219 Posts
My battery started going dead a week after I bought mine. Had to boost it to get it going as I didn't have a trickle charger at the time. The dealer simply replaced the battery with a new one, no questions asked and no battery issues in 5 years.

·
Registered
2022 M109R BOSS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out the battery is completely pooched, it will not accept a charge. The dealership is replacing it under warranty. The service guy said it's the 2nd brand new Suzuki battery that died within a month this year. Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing your experience and advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts