M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just bought my 109 yesterday. Rode it home. Kind of scary as it is my first bike.
Kind of tough in Dallas 5 PM traffic. After dinner I decided I'm going to enjoy my
new red, bad bike. Bad being the key word. After 17 miles, DEAD. All the indicator
lights flashed and the bike died. Tried to restart and the starter seemed to be missing. :evil:
Picked up by the dealer this morning of course saying this never happens. After all
day of tinkering with it, they THINK it is a bad battery and were currently rechargin it.
First of all, why are you recharging a bad battery? Second, that took them all day to
come up with that theory. Thinking I should have gone with the V-ROD. Has anybody
experienced a similar problem?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have had ZERO problems with this bike....if your bike has a bad battery you need to blame the dealer....tell em to put a new one in it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer claims that the service was done right. I actually paid for it one day before I picked it up because it had to be preped. When the dealer came to pick it up, they checked the battery, the fuses and all wiring at my place. They then decided they had to take it in. All day checking it and still waiting for them to finish. How long does it take to change a battery.
I hope my story ends like most of yours. I want to enjoy my bike but now, I'm a little scared to take a ride through
the countyside. Anyway, wish me luck. Thanks for your quick input.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
There was another member, can't recall exactly who, who had a bad cell in his battery ( shorted ). Dealer replaced the battery with a new one! Some first thought it may have been a bad ground wire or loose cables but the culprit was the battery!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Probably a bad cell in the battery.. Make them put in a new one, if you just got it then its obviously a warranty item. Only other thing I can think of is that you either knocked the kickstand down or you hit the kill switch.. But I'm guessing you'd have caught those items before calling the dealer... Would hope anyway.

As for buying a V-Rod, thats a personal choice if you want one, no faults on ya.. but personally I'd much prefer to be on a bike that MSRPs for 12.5k that I payed < 11k for, than a bike that MSRP's for 14k that you can't buy for less than 19k.. JMO

·
Registered
244 Posts
Owned a '02 vrod and now own an '07 red 109 not one problem with my 109. Had major fuel injector problems with my vrod. Some vehicles you have problems with and some you don't. 9 honda's, 3 harley's, and 3 suzuki's since 1961. Never had a problem with my metrics.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
so the battery could have been bad from the manufacturer or the dealer had a pimply faced kid put the battery in and he cross threaded a battery screw and thought it was tight when it was'nt, been there and seen it happen. I have 5k on my black 06' and zero problems, well a screw fell out of the rear most exhaust mount next to the rear brake caliper but I put another in with blue loctite. I checked for some of the little problems they have had on these but I have never had an over fill oil problem, the coolant leak never happened and the hoses were tight on mine. over all this has been one of the better of all the bikes I have owned in 35 years.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Oh, by the way fjm where abouts around Dallas you from? I live close to Fort Worth but drive to work on work days from there to T.I. Dallas 38 miles one way. Its fun with some of the most challenging roads loop 820, 183, loop 12, I35, and 635 plus the mentally challenged car drivers all around and if that were not enough 635 will sand blast your [email protected]@ clean and my windshield in my old Caddy proved that it looked like it had been etched. we will have to ride sometime. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: The dealer installed a new battery and the problem persists. Then, they thought it was a faulty starter solenoid, replaced it and nothing. They now went through the entire wiring and they can't find the problem. They now THINK it is a bad starter clutch. They will take the bike apart on Monday morning to see if that is the problem.

Some of you need to take a chill pill. I was only kidding about the V-Rod. I always thought Harleys were extremely overpriced. I'm just trying to keep it on the light side as my new bike is not working. Some of you can understand. As for the others, LEXAPRO!

·
Registered
728 Posts
fjm said:
Update: The dealer installed a new battery and the problem persists. Then, they thought it was a faulty starter solenoid, replaced it and nothing. They now went through the entire wiring and they can't find the problem. They now THINK it is a bad starter clutch. They will take the bike apart on Monday morning to see if that is the problem.

Some of you need to take a chill pill. I was only kidding about the V-Rod. I always thought Harleys were extremely overpriced. I'm just trying to keep it on the light side as my new bike is not working. Some of you can understand. As for the others, LEXAPRO!
Just givin ya a hard time, too bad about the bike being down. That shouldn't be a tough one to find????? Good luck. I don't really care for Lexapro, I do perfer Vicoden and Beer :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
So where yuh at on this problem, as of today? I consider my VZR1800 to be the most fun to ride bike I have ever owned, and it is scooter #15. Has the dealer checked your engine computer/CPU? They're always suspect for "sudden death" situations on new bikes. In 1995 I put 50 miles on a brand new Triumph Tiger when the brain fried. The Triumph dealer took care of the replacement and that was that. You should get this same treatment from Suzuki, and I'll bet you do. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update 2: Heard back from the dealer. Starter clutch is fine but the starter itself seized. Does this sound right to everyone? Can a seized starter cause a bike to suddenly die while being ridden? Now I have to wait until a new starter is shipped and installed.

Hey SteveJ, I live in Irving (Las Colinas). Maybe someday we can go show off our bikes around town. I may have to push mine around though. :D

G

·
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Make them put a new battery in there! And you should be fine. As far as a VROD goes, they are nice bikes, but like any harley, (I have and electraglide, my wife a road king) you pay for the name. But we have never had any problems with ours. If Speed is what you want, keep your M, a very nice bike. But your money, your ride, you decide. All bikes have little problems now and then. I dont have a M109, I just here as I think it is a very nice bike and like to keep up with what is going on with it. These are real people here who dont mind sharing their experiences with you. And REd, would be my color too. This is a good site, the people here seem to be very genuine and if you have a problem, someone here will be able to point you in the right direction. Just stay on top of your dealer, and if you have not been here long, there seems to be a problem with dealers overfilling the thing with oil! While they have your bike, have them double check that. Someone else here can tell you more, but there have been a couple little things like loose coolant hoses, ect. maybe they can tell you what to look out for. IN the mean time, dont get me wrong, you have a very nice bike, get it fixed and enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
fjm said:
Update 2: Heard back from the dealer. Starter clutch is fine but the starter itself seized. Does this sound right to everyone? Can a seized starter cause a bike to suddenly die while being ridden? Now I have to wait until a new starter is shipped and installed.

Hey SteveJ, I live in Irving (Las Colinas). Maybe someday we can go show off our bikes around town. I may have to push mine around though. :D
Yeah, if the starter shorted out, it could have taken out the computer or part of it. Good luck with this problem and keep us in the loop. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
728 Posts
veezer said:
Yeah, if the starter shorted out, it could have taken out the computer or part of it. Good luck with this problem and keep us in the loop. :bigthumbsup:
I would have to say that a short in the starter would either burn out the relay or pop the fuse before taking out the ECU. He also stated that the starter was seized not shorted.

·
Registered
371 Posts
hey kat the guy that posted that we were nice guys is right and for the problem that you are having has happened to me and it was the battery and i had changed it and it done it again with futher investigation i found the the voltage regulator rectifier had burnt out so i replaced it and never had another problem i sold the bike with 78000 miles on it hey good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 3: Thank you everyone for your input and help. I do appreciate it.
I received notice that my bike is fixed. The starter is replaced and they will
deliver my bike tomorrow. I'm happy and at the same time I feel a bit
uneasy. I'm still wondering why a seized starter would cause the bike to
just die suddenly. According to the dealer, nothing shorted. It was just a
bad starter. They said they checked all electrical components including the
computer and the regulator (Thanks to you guys I mentioned it to them).
I'm just hoping this doesn't happen again. They did tell me that if it happens
again to call them and they will pick me up wherever I am. I don't know if by
them saying that, I should be thankful or if I should worry. Anyway, thank you
all. Be safe.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
fjm said:
Update 2: Heard back from the dealer. Starter clutch is fine but the starter itself seized. Does this sound right to everyone? Can a seized starter cause a bike to suddenly die while being ridden? Now I have to wait until a new starter is shipped and installed.

Hey SteveJ, I live in Irving (Las Colinas). Maybe someday we can go show off our bikes around town. I may have to push mine around though. :D
If the windings shorted it can...

I wouldn't worry too much about riding it now... I think your problem was the exception, not the rule... I am over 9k miles now without a single issue... other then the tires wearing out... :evil:
I think you will find most people here in the same boat

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.