M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried the sending a hole saw down the exhaust on the M90? I see the 109's do it as a way of de-baffling, is our exhaust the same set- up with the baffle lay-out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I dont want to assume I know for sure what the op was asking for.. but I guess I was wondering something similar. For the 109 it looks like you can just send a hole saw down the exhaust pipe and cut out between 1 and 3 baffles..and then drill out the end plate as needed.

From looking at the post you linked to, it appears much more detailed and complicated on the 90 exhaust.(30 min vs 6 hours)

Not that its related, but on the Honda Shadow I had I just took a hole saw to the end plate, and the resonator came out, end of story. I had hoped it would be that easy on the 90..looks more complicated..

I hope I didnt end up hijacking the thread..:dontknow:

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is what I was thinking as well...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I guess I thought you were looking at actually removing the baffles like Omgrtfa did. I don't see why sending a hole saw down the exhaust wouldn't work with the M90. You could be the first :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Have you tried just drilling holes in the end plate? 8 half inch holes sounds damn good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeh but not good enough. The bike definitley needs to breath better bothe in and out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's done 7/8 hole saw(with the longest extension you can find over 20 inch) straight down the pipes. One baffle war on top pipe, two on the bottom, sounds great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Awesome.. I am going to give this a shot tonight..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's done 7/8 hole saw(with the longest extension you can find over 20 inch) straight down the pipes. One baffle war on top pipe, two on the bottom, sounds great.
Thanks stevef I was hoping that someone would give this a go on the 90 coulld you give us a full run down? eg how long did it take? any probs with the hole saw? has it made it low and rumbly? how loud is it? sorry for the questions but I was kinda of excited and I can't afford to by new pipes.:congrats:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I drilled the 8 1/2" holes about a month ago, Ok sound.

A week agoI ran a 7/8" hole saw down the middle and took out the little circles, about double the sound of the drilled holes.

2 days ago I gutted the whole thing. Sound was alot louder and deeper. It was not very loud at running speeds, 45-55-65.

It was a pain in the A$$ to get both baffles out! I have cut two 3-1/2" circles out of thick screen material and have painted them with high temp paint.

I will press fit these in the ends of the pipe tonight to cover up the ugliness of gutting the pipes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did u ever try this?
Kind of.. I had a really hard time finding a 20in extension. I ended up trying it with a shorter extension and taking out one of the baffles on the top exhaust. In the end I am hoping to buy an aftermarket exhaust in the spring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts