M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I bought 2 55w Low/Hi beam 8000K HID kits, one for the 9 and one for my Voyager. I instaled one kit on the Voyager and I have low and high beam. I installed it on the 9 using the same instructions and I only get Low beam. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix for it. Thanks Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Did you try one of the bulbs from the Voyager in the bike? When I got my HID kit I had the same problem and it was a faulty bulb... see if that works... :dontknow:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try one of the bulbs from the Voyager in the bike? When I got my HID kit I had the same problem and it was a faulty bulb... see if that works... :dontknow:
No I didn't, but I can tell you that light is on high beam only. The bulb won't move inward and outward depending whether you're in high or low beam. When the bulb is inward it's in Highbeam mode. I sent a trouble ticket into DDM. Thanks for the tip...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you see your bulb extracting and retracting as you go from low to high? Let me know, Thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
You can see and hear the bulb move. An electromagnet retracts it for the high beam. I have both the DLP and DDM kits and they both work exactly the same.

When you switch from low to high beam and back you should hear a light click as the bulb shifts.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can see and hear the bulb move. An electromagnet retracts it for the high beam. I have both the DLP and DDM kits and they both work exactly the same.

When you switch from low to high beam and back you should hear a light click as the bulb shifts.
It does on my Voyager but not on the 9, I think the bulb is bad. It's stuck in the high beam position.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
There is a spring in it that shoves it back out for low beam. The electromagnet just retracts it.

I'd pull the bulb out and remove it from the base, you'll see a couple small arrows or dots that show where it gets aligned to lock it in, and see if it rattles afterwards. My DLP kit sounds like everything inside the base is loose, the DDM kit is a little tighter but if you shake it you can still hear the stuff inside move.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a spring in it that shoves it back out for low beam. The electromagnet just retracts it.

I'd pull the bulb out and remove it from the base, you'll see a couple small arrows or dots that show where it gets aligned to lock it in, and see if it rattles afterwards. My DLP kit sounds like everything inside the base is loose, the DDM kit is a little tighter but if you shake it you can still hear the stuff inside move.
When I took the bulb out of the base, I could pull the bulb outward but it retracts on it's own. It won't stay extracted, and it doesn't sound like anythings loose, but I can say it doesn't appear to be a spring that pushes it out in the low beam mode. Thanks for the help, I sent a ticket and a warranty ticket to DDM.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
You know, it may work the other way. I was thinking it retracted for high beam, but maybe low beam is back and high beam is forward. I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow and see which way it goes.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, it may work the other way. I was thinking it retracted for high beam, but maybe low beam is back and high beam is forward. I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow and see which way it goes.
Zoom,

According to DDM, it retracts on highbeam by the magnet.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Is it just me or does it seem like these HID kits are having some issues?
Ryno,
It may have the apperance that there are issues with HID kits but DDM has a lifetime warranty and for $45.00 shipping included you can't beat it. After you see these lights you won't want to go back to the stock lighting. I'm not upset about the problem, this is minor compared to working on computers everyday!!!! DDM seems like a good company and I'm sure they'll take care of it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Ryno,
It may hqve the apperance that there are issues with HID kits but DDM has a lifetime warranty and for $45.00 shipping included you can't beat it. After you see lights you won't want to go back to the stock lighting. I'm not upset about the problem, this is minor compared to working on computers everyday!!!! DDM seems like a good company and I'm sure they'll take care of it.
I agree with you that HIDs are awesome and are 10 times brighter then the stock bulb. I have been running an A&R HID kit for more then 3 years.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found the problem, I received a bad wiring harness. Thye're sending a new one I should have it by Friday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts