M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....I've installed the HID conversion kit from DDM tuning
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit
and I cannot get the thing to work...grrrrr!!!

During my first attempt the headlight bucket with kit already mounted slipped off the front fender and fell on the floor so I thought that maybe I had broken something. I ordered a second kit, installed it today, and this one doesn't work either.
I've checked with a multimeter and I have voltage at the large yellow plug on the HID wiring harness that plugs into the ballast but the bulb still doesn't light up. I can't check the output of the ballast because the high voltage will kill my meter but I've tried the ballast from both kits with no luck.

Has anyone else had a problem getting the DDM Tuning kit to work or have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong??

Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just isolated the problem....the wiring harness from the first kit I purchased was bad...I fashioned some make shift jumpers out of extra wiring I had laying around to hook harness up from the second kit I bought and it worked.

So now I have to pull the gas tank again to run the new wiring harness....what a pain in tha AZZ!!!!! :verymad:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Just isolated the problem....the wiring harness from the first kit I purchased was bad...I fashioned some make shift jumpers out of extra wiring I had laying around to hook harness up from the second kit I bought and it worked.

So now I have to pull the gas tank again to run the new wiring harness....what a pain in tha AZZ!!!!! :verymad:
Just back the pin out for the wire that runs under the tank and put that in the harness that works.

Or, pull the old harness out with a string tied to the end you had at the battery, then use the string to pull the wire from the new harness back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Syco I installed the DMM hi/lo kit about a month ago and I extended the red line wire to the battery but I just grounded the black ground wire in the headlight assembly. It worked fine till I took it out on the road. It flickered a few times then stayed on after the bike got warm. I suffered with this for a few weeks then I took the tank off and ran the black ground wire back the battery and I haven't had any problems since. By the way what bulb did you get? I went with the 8000 55w.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Syco I installed the DMM hi/lo kit about a month ago and I extended the red line wire to the battery but I just grounded the black ground wire in the headlight assembly. It worked fine till I took it out on the road. It flickered a few times then stayed on after the bike got warm. I suffered with this for a few weeks then I took the tank off and ran the black ground wire back the battery and I haven't had any problems since. By the way what bulb did you get? I went with the 8000 55w.
Take your ground wire off of your battery.

You should never ground anything closer to your battery than the far end of your main ground line. You will create a ground loop fault. You may never notice it or have a problem, but get a ground fault loop at the wrong frequency and your sensors and cpu will give you problems.

Your main ground wire connects to the base of the rear cylinder, just below the rear exhaust head.

You had problems on the fork because you should also not ground to the forks. You were relying on bearings and grease to be in your ground loop and that is not a reliable thing to count on.

Ground anywhere on the frame or motor, but not the front end, swing-arm or battery.

Just some tips from one who was forced to learn it the hard way.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys....I ran the ground wire to a bolt on the frame under the right side cover (I've grounded my last 3 mods there) and it works great.
Looks like the problem was the black controller box that is part of the HID wiring harness. I replaced harness/controller and it light right up.
Rode down the block once tonight and it is MUCH BRIGHTER than stock.

I got the 55W hi/low kit in 5000k color. It is very white, not much of that blue tinge that some people like. The color is just about perfect for maximum visibility.

At the same time I mounted a small pair of bullet fog lights from Walmart ($20) to my forks using exhaust pipe mounting brackets. These are 50 watt halogens and are about the same size as the OEM turn-signals. I linked these to the Hi-beams via relay and they are VERY bright as well so when I flip on the Hi-beams now it really turns night into day!! :bigthumbsup:

I can post pix if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
:bigthumbsup:
:agree: post a picture or two of the fog lamps.

I'm about to do an HID now that it's getting darker. One concern I have is the vibration I have in the headlight bucket. I've checked the screws to makensure they're tight, but I can still move it up and down ~1". Anyone else observe this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks guys for this info. I just got mine in the mail this morning. I bought the 35whi/lo 10000 I will remember this tips during install today. Does there happen to be a how to on the HID kit install???

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
Thanks guys for this info. I just got mine in the mail this morning. I bought the 35whi/lo 10000 I will remember this tips during install today. Does there happen to be a how to on the HID kit install???
They come with pretty good instructions, plus the connectors are keyed so they can only hook to the right connector. It looks complicated but it goes on pretty easy.

Here's the Walmart lights that Syco mentioned above. I put them on a little over 2 years ago and just took them off this summer. Good lights for the price, and you can buy a lot of different bulbs for them, but they do start to rust over time. And be sure to use the exterior bulbs that have the second lens as some are interior and will get water in them. There used to be a lot of us using these but I haven't seen them mentioned in a while. I mounted them to the front reflector mounts using a longer bolt and a spacer cut from a piece of tubing. I had them wired to low beam with a relay and angled them out a little to help light up curves.

These are some old pictures, I just noticed how much has changed on the bike since then. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
They come with pretty good instructions, plus the connectors are keyed so they can only hook to the right connector. It looks complicated but it goes on pretty easy.

Here's the Walmart lights that Syco mentioned above. I put them on a little over 2 years ago and just took them off this summer. Good lights for the price, and you can buy a lot of different bulbs for them, but they do start to rust over time. And be sure to use the exterior bulbs that have the second lens as some are interior and will get water in them. There used to be a lot of us using these but I haven't seen them mentioned in a while. I mounted them to the front reflector mounts using a longer bolt and a spacer cut from a piece of tubing. I had them wired to low beam with a relay and angled them out a little to help light up curves.

These are some old pictures, I just noticed how much has changed on the bike since then. :D

How did you route your wires???

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
How did you route your wires???
In that picture I had just mounted them and hadn't run the wires yet. But I later ran them up the brake hoses, then covered the brake hoses with black plastic wire loom, the kind you get about 6' of in a package at Walmart in the automotive section where they have switches and wiring. It's a spiral wrap and you just wrap it around the hose from top to bottom.

That's most of the reason I took the lights off. I went to stainless braided hoses and didn't want to have wires running up them or have to cover them with something.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In that picture I had just mounted them and hadn't run the wires yet. But I later ran them up the brake hoses, then covered the brake hoses with black plastic wire loom, the kind you get about 6' of in a package at Walmart in the automotive section where they have switches and wiring. It's a spiral wrap and you just wrap it around the hose from top to bottom.

That's most of the reason I took the lights off. I went to stainless braided hoses and didn't want to have wires running up them or have to cover them with something.
Thanks that is what I needed to know:bigthumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts