M109 Rider Forums banner

Will you attend Daytona Biketoberfest 2006?

• Absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will try

• Not sure

• Probably not but slight possibility

• Bummer, can't make it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look ahead to Daytona Bike Week this fall as I don't want to miss it again. I am looking for some recommendations from people who have walked the walk if you don't mind. I will list my questions.

1. Where should I stay in order to be near the beach and all of the action? I do lots of business travel so I am gold at Hilton and Marriot and Platinum at Starwood if that helps.
2. I am planning on trailering my bike down (~750 miles), will there be special parking where I can ditch my SUV and trailer for a couple of days?
3. The event is a few weeks long, when is the best time to be there if you can only spare one long weekend? At the beginning, middle or end?

G

·
Daytona Bike Week is in March each year.

Daytona Biketoberfest is 4 days in October each year.

Both are good events but Hurricane Wilma chased us home last year from Biketoberfest.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hal, I am pretty new to biking, so I didn't even know there were two events. I was saying Bike Week but actually meant Biketoberfest. Bike Week for next year (2007) would be something to start thinking about now too I guess if they book up so far in advance.

ppridgen1, I think when I was down there this past weekend (Orlando), I saw on the news that New Smyrna area was hit hard by the fires. A few homes were lost but not sure about businesses/hotels. Thankfully, they had a few large rain-producing storms roll through which had to have helped with the fire situation somewhat.

-Tim

G

·
Try www.visitflorida.com. You can search for local hotels. I wouldn't expect to stay too close but I have stayed at the LaQuinta Hotel on Atlantic and can recommend it. Biketoberfest is one week, actually 10 days.The official dates are October 19-22, 2006. People usually start getting here the weekend before. Parking for truck and trailer may be available at your hotel/motel/resort. There is always something going on and it is fun to ride down Main St once. After that it is too long a wait. Park and walk. Better yet, take a taxi, and go to all the bars. That is fun even if you don't drink. PM or post further. I am willing to help. I am about 20 minutes away and have been going to bikeweek/biketoberfest for about 5 years now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just telling/asking my wife about my Biketoberfest trip and she came up with an excellent suggestion. First of all, my wife is a Disney Travel agent and she just told me that there is a Disney Cruise on the Disney Wonder out of Port Canaveral leaving Thursday, October 19th at 4:30pm and arriving back on Sunday, October 22nd at 7:35am. So, I am going to drop her off Thursday afternoon and then pick her back up on Sunday morning. This way the wife and kids can have some R&R time while I have my R&R time.

Cruise Itenerary is Port Canaveral, Nassau, Castaway Cay.
My wife said if anyone is interested in going, she can coordinate everything and maybe even get a group rate if there are enough people. The group rates aren't a whole lot cheaper but you would get some extra perks. Just to give people an idea of pricing, here are some rough prices (that are subject to change) she just gave me that include the cruise, meals, entertainment, kids club, trip insurance, and all port charges and taxes:
Deluxe Oceanview: $1450 for 2, $2050 for 3, $2300 for 4
Deluxe Family Suite: $3800 for 5 people

There are other room types like veranda/balcony and of course there are super expensive suites as well.

Here is the link to the Disney Cruise site if anyone is interested: www.disneycruise.com. If you let my wife book your cruise, she will also put together a personal agenda based on your families preferences along with her recommendations and secrets of how to make your trip even more enjoyable. She has been on nearly a dozen Disney Cruises over the past few years and is a Graduate of the College of Disney Knowledge and she has 22 years of travel experience. We go on at least one Disney cruise, sometimes two Disney cruises a year as a family which she refers to as "research". It's unlike any other cruise line out there, especially great if you have kids as the kids have practically a whole deck to themselves. The best part of the whole cruise is the day at Castaway Cay! If you are interested, just send me a message and I will send you her email address/phone number.

My wife says that if your family wants to go to Disney World instead, she can arrange that too. She says prices including room, tax and 4 day park tickets starting at about $750 for 2 at a value level on-property hotel such as The All Star Sports. There are many other packages available including meal plans. She said the options are too numerous to list here so just let me know if you are interested and she will find out your preferences and then make recommendations.

Alternatively, if you prefer Universal or some other nearby location instead of Disney, my wife might be able to help with that as well or at least make a few recommendations. We lived in Orlando, Melbourne and Ft. Lauderdale for almost 7 years so she is very familiar with that area. Her travel agency is based out of Ft. Lauderdale and she has been with them nearly 10 years now if not more.

One final word. If you play your cards right, your wife may actually thank you for going to Biketoberfest and better yet, encourage you to go next year!

-Tim

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
we have friend in Deland, about 20 miles away I think...
My wife brought it up and I did not think I had anyone to go with :D
I probably wont know if we re going till much closer to October but I may be there too.

I hope by then we will all have our "M109riders" stickers too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts