M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was our first day of our trip. We were all so excited that I don't think that anyone got much sleep. We started off by meeting a bunch of folks for breakfast in Prescott and some of them rode with us to the Grand Canyon and one couple rode with us to Moab. We left just after 8 am and the weather was perfect, not too cold and not too hot. Right from the get go everything just felt right.

We got fuel before we went into the park and that's when I found out what kind of mileage I was getting. We ran pretty hard at times and had a few 100+ runs and even with a trailer that was loaded to the max I got 40 mpg and Big Joe and Hal got 50 mpg. I couldn't believe how well the 109 did on fuel.

On the way there I did a little trailer testing and I could only get the bike up to 106 mph in 5th because we were at 7,000 feet and there was not enough air to do anymore than that. The trailer did fine and I really couldn't even tell it was back there. I know one thing for sure, I will never go on a long trip without a trailer. It was so nice to throw all your junk and everyone elses junk in the trailer and not have to spend 5 min. packing and unpacking everytime you needed something.

I 've only been to the Grand Canyon one other time on a bike but the experience was the same as the last time. The first time you look out at the beauty of the Canyon it takes your breath away, it is so perfect that it doesn't look real. All I could think about was how it must of been for the first person to see this and how there was no way he could explain the depth and awesomeness of such a wonder. The pictures do not do it justus but here they are anyway.

"If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Baja Ron soaking it all up.

Behind the head shot.

On the road shots.

We stopped to get something to eat and that's when I realized that I may need a bigger trailer. I'm not sure what I did and the rest of the guys did before this.

We dodged rain the whole way out to Moab and only got a few drops towards the end of the ride. All in all the trip was perfect and more than made up for the bad trip I had going out to Prescott. We did 477 miles without any real problems and still felt good when we got there. We had a good meal, talked about the day and made plans for the next day. This was the perfect motorcycle day!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Re: Well that stinks

nice pics. it looks like your havin' fun. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
572 Posts

Looks like some great pictures so far :)

Do you know of anyone who makes a video attachment for a cyclist?

I was thinking how sweet it would be, to take video of a trip like this...

"Lamont and Hal gone wild" :)

·
Registered
253 Posts

mate awesome pics of the Grand Canyon that is one place on my to-do list before I die I would love to see it in real life and take in just how big it really is and my other place I wanna visit is the pyramids in Cairo you not going that way to take some shots for me Lamont?

Enjoy your ride dude and keep posting pics

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

BigBen said:
Do you know of anyone who makes a video attachment for a cyclist?
Here you go , if you got a camera here a place to get mounts............... www.techmounts.com

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

i dont know if ya ever mentioned it, but hows that xm working out on the bike?

·
Registered
401 Posts

I see why you didn't answer the phone :bigthumbsup: Now thats a ride ! Have a great time, be safe man.

·
Registered
360 Posts

watch out , the cager in front of you is on the breaks .. :eek: :yikes:

·
Registered
411 Posts

Great pictures Lamont, I made the "mistake" and show them the wife, now I guess I had better save a few €´s and take her there :D

·
Registered
898 Posts

woohoo :bigthumbsup: thanks for the update, and be safe :bow:

keep poking that button on the camera :D

khrome

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

Ok. I'm jealous.

What route are you taking. Are you going east to Santa Fe and then up the east side of the Rockies or are you staying west of the Rockies (say Durango to Ouray) and cutting across further north?

Whatever route, you guys have a great, safe ride. I've ridden all over those parts in a car. Should would like to bike it you you guys are.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Wow.....Looks like a fantastic trip! Beautiful, been through there in a convertble but no comparison to being on a bike (especially the 109).

So how's that trailer workin' out for ya. Useful for sure, what's it like pulling it for miles?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

WHEW!
I was looking through the pics, and I could tell you were having fun. But I felt something was missing (besides me) but I kept looking, knowing you guys are the kind of guys who would have EVERYTHING they needed to have some REAl fun!
so, I kept looking... and looking....
and BAM!! there it is, the KEY to complete roadtrip fun.

The can of pringles!

Good lock, ride safe, save some pringles for me!''Sledzep

1 - 20 of 30 Posts