M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today wasn't looking good weather wise but you can't plan your life around the weather. We decided to hit Devils Tower come rain or shine and we were pretty sure is was going to rain.

We were heading to breakfast when Ed the Head flagged me down to do a little work on his Boss. It had been running pretty bad and I knew what it was and I told him the night before that I would take a look at it. I forgot about that so I had to spend a little time tearing into the carb. It was no big deal, just a fuel filter that was clogged inside the carb. He had an in-line filter but those paper filters in the carb are junk and I've removed them on about 5 bikes now.

What's kind of funny is I almost had to call the front desk to ask them how to work the shower but I can just about rebuild a Boss Hoss in a parking lot. Something is wrong with that picture.

We ran up on a guy on a yellow Goldwing and he waived us by but not soon after he caught up to us and blew by Big Joe and I saw him comming and down shifted a gear into 4th and hit it. This guy was nuts and had that Wing pegged out. I held my bike to the throttle stop but I could never catch him and pretty much stayed with him for about two miles or so at full throttle. I finally backed down and let him go. That was the first guy that I have ever seen that wasn't afraid to pin the throttle for as long as it took to win. This was the perfect road for this because you could see for miles in all directions and he was the perfect guy to run.

I guess both Big Joe and I were having so much fun that we left Hal and Ron and a couple of other guys on Wings way behind but we slowed down after a bit and figured they would catch up with us soon. Well the weather was looking real bad and we were about to run into some bad rain so we decided to pull over and put our rain gear on. While we were doing that we took some pics and waited for the guys to show.

We see a couple of headlights and figured it was our group but it wasn't, it was the guy on the Wing and his Buddy. I bowed down to him and thanked him for the race. He was a really cool guy and was pretty surprised that I hung with him that long, I guess not to many guys run with him like that. He said he was pegged and that's all that bike had and his speedo said 125 mph. About the only excuse I had was I was pulling a 300 lb trailer. We shook hands and then I asked him how far up the road was Devils Tower. He said I passed the turn about ten miles ago. Turns out it was about forty miles back. Guess he was having too much fun too.

So by now I'm getting low on fuel and had to back track another 40 miles to our turn off. The good thing is that there was a gas station there so we filled up. That's when Big Joe realized that he must of left his $300 glasses back where we stopped to turn around. I told him that we should go back and try and find them but he didn't want to make another 80 mile round trip to maybe find his glasses. That was a bummer.

This is where we stopped and put on our rain gear and this is where his glasses still may be. Notice Joe's pants, they will look a little different by time we get back.

Once we found our turn off we had a great ride out to Devils Tower. The roads were a little slick but we still ran at a pretty good clip there and back. We saw a bunch of deer in the road and that slowed us down a bit too.

This is another place that you just have to see to believe.

We really did pretty good rain wise but the bike got wasted. We ran hard all the way home and Big Joe's rain pants didn't handle triple digits very well.

Like I said the weather was looking pretty bad but we seemed to just miss the rain everywhere we went. On one of the roads to Devils Tower Big Joe and I got to play a little bit and see how the bike ran full out. I was able to pull Joe pretty good even with a trailer so I was happy to see that the BigAir kt was doing it's job.

When we got back we waited for it to quit raining so we could go to dinner. We had a good group for that.

So even though the weather was bad, I missed my turn by 40 miles, and Big Joe lost his glasses we still had a great day in the wind and I can't wait for the next ride.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sounds like a ton of fun to me... that is too funny you missing your turn by 40 miles... you MUST have been pegged for quite a bit of time there...

So you pulling a trailer, is faster then Joe? That DOES show something for the Big Air Kit alright...

Glad to hear you are all safe and sound so far :) Keep it up :)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Put some wings on that trailer and maybe it would fly. Thanks for giving us the travelogue and great pics! Next best thing to being there myself. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I' m travellin' right along wiyh ya! Brings back some good memories of road trips I've had with good friends and brother. :clap2:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lamonster said:
I held my bike to the throttle stop but I could never catch him and pretty much stayed with him for about two miles or so at full throttle
So...what'd the GPS show for the speed? Inquiring minds want to know. 2 miles at full throttle...surely the beast was maxed out or close to it? (and...I know it's with towing a heavy trailer)

·
Registered
185 Posts
These updates are great . . If there was some kind of "Pulitzer" prize for forum posts, you got my vote bro . .
Those wide open roads out west is stuff dreams are made of ! ! ! !   :2cool:

·
Registered
243 Posts
OK I will be the first to ask... any little green men at Devils Tower... ??? Everyone in the world recognizes that formation, just most people didn't know it was real... :eek: :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I did not notice that until you mentioned it. Whats up, is everyone cold or just playing pocket pool!!! :joke: :D :doorag:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts