M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a short ride today, only 250+ miles but it was a good 250+ miles other than the wind. The wind was brutal as soon as we past Lost Springs (Population 1) yes I said one. I guess he's the guy that makes the sign too, I don't know but that was a trip. From there we followed some mile long coal trains and there was not a whole lot of anything but flat and long roads.

The wind was so bad that I almost felt like I was on ice, it was blowing us all around and by the time we got to Lusk it was time for the rain gear. It really didn't rain much but it was almost cold so I was glad I had my chaps on. All of our mileage dropped way down too so I guess this part of the trip was kind of a bummer but it was still better than not riding at all.

We did see a BIG dead Elk on the side of the road and Baja Ron had one run out in front of him. The bad thing is we never saw him. There are a lot of big criters out here.

On our last gas stop Big Joe noticed my plate and lights were loose so I tried to snug them up but what I really needed was a washer so we drove around Rapid City and stopped by a Honda/Suzuki dealer and I bought what I needed.

Got to hotel and we were early (1 pm) and check in was 3 pm so we went and got a bite to eat. After that I had the bike apart checking bolts an replacing the ones I had a problem with. I never seem to go anywhere without working on someones bike.

We decided to head to Rushmore but we got to looking at Hal's bike and he had antifreeze leaking from somewhere so I had to pull the airbox's and tank off to check all the hoses. I found one that was a little loose and I hope that was it but I'm really not sure if we got it or not. We let it run for a while and it looked fine.

Then we noticed his turn signals were out so we messed with that for about an hour till we got it working but by that time folks started showing up in the parking lot and we never did get out of there. I think I counted 20 bikes from our little grop of folks from the board.

Ed the head pulled in with his Boss Hoss and it took about 5 min. and I was working on his bike too. I think we are going to pull the tank today and do a little work on the carb.

Not sure where we are going today but it looks like we are going to get wet doing it unless we get real lucky.

Hard to tell from this pic but something has been leaking pretty good.

Hal is telling the guys how fast his bike is.

"Somanyroads" drove down from Maine with one of his Bro's. Ive known this guy from the earley Valkyrie days. Reaal cool guy and a really nice VTX.

This guy drove down from Upstate New York with the trailer I want to wind up with. This is one of the best looking Wing and trailer setups that I've ever seen. Very clean.

A bunch of Wings made this rde and the VTX's started to poor in as the day went on. We have a great mix of bikes here.

This is Jason (Kickstandnotdown) (VTX), Ed the Head (Boss Hoss) and Nmead (Nate). We had a great time cutting up in the parking lot last night.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
...ok, I gotta ask some questions.

What's the total time required, from leaving your house to begin this trip, to when you will return to your house, to go on this ride? I'd really like to participate in something like this next year.

Also, it'd be nice to get an idea of how many nights hotels stay I'll have to save up for...
...by plugging in "Knoxville, TN" and "Sturgis, SD" I'm seeing a trip time of under 22 hours. I'm guessing I could make that in 3 days with no problems....more with. I think you folks trailered the bikes to a starting point along the way, though, right? :( No trailer, but I could tag along and follow your trailer next year. :)

I really enjoyed the RFTW ride this year....but it was kinda slow at times. Travelling with a smaller group can keep the pace up easier and make those miles melt away.

G

·
Lusk Wyoming....thriving metropolis isn't it? lol. When I was in the military we trained at Camp Guernsey all the time.... you probably rode right by it....

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok the newb is about to come out in me...i used to ride crouch rockets.......what and where is sturgis?? sorry guys you can give me hell later. im used to bike week down at myrtle beach is it something like that but with cruisers??

G

·
Hey bro, don't ever feel stupid asking questions. Here is a link that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Sturgis.

http://www.sturgis.com/

I have never been there, but after looking at these pictures and my wife looking over my shoulder each day to see them, something tells me next year may be a different story. There are several events similar. Laconia, Americade, Etc, etc. Each is unique in it's own way.

G

·
ppridgen1 said:
OK, I've made my decision, I'm moving to lost springs, primarily to piss of the neighbors , then I'm gonna open a general store that has just about everything a person from a town of 2 could possibly want to buy.
Um, wouldn't that be neighbor? :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Bruno said:
Hey bro, don't ever feel stupid asking questions. Here is a link that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Sturgis.

http://www.sturgis.com/

I have never been there, but after looking at these pictures and my wife looking over my shoulder each day to see them, something tells me next year may be a different story. There are several events similar. Laconia, Americade, Etc, etc. Each is unique in it's own way.
I really want to go too. I would probably NOT be there the same week as the rally. I would probably do it the same way they are. Just before it starts.
They say there are some fantastic rides out that way.

Sledzep

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lamoster,

I'll be travelling from Colorado Springs, CO. I am seriously thinking of making the trip next year as well. Hope we all can meet up. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanx for da pix!

Looks like a good time, be safe and have fun. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts