·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of damage if any can occur from riding your bike in a lean condition

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. She might run a little hotter and lack of full power at times. Why do you think that she is running lean? I have not picked up my service manual yet, but I would have to assume that there is a O2 sensor and if working correctly the ECM should adjust the mixture by making the injectors open a little longer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wondering cause I slipped off the top can on my exhaust to see how it sounded? Thought about taking it for a ride that way but I guess I wont be doing that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To my knowledge there is no O2 sensor in the exhaust. I had the entire exhaust off the bike and didnt see anything of the sort.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I think Suzuki states that this bike meets some great emission standard. Plus because the bike is fuel injected, there has to be something that measures the gasses comming threw the exhaust. On new cars, they have 2 or 3 O2 sensors. The first ones are pre-catalytic to see the efficiency of the mixture and that other is behind the catalytic converter to measure the converters efficiency.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not argueing that fact with you. I'm just saying if there were a O2 sensor there would have to be some sort of connection to the exhaust and there is not.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok cool send me a pm or something when you find out for sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its funny how people just rant and rave about things they know nothing about> :p People rely on info they get here to be true, and there is no truth in guess work....With that being said, there are NO O2 sensors in the exhaust......I know this due to the fact I have completely disassembled and rebuilt a new exhaust. The only electrical connection in the exhaust is at the SET valve.

People please state facts here and not your beliefs :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Wildracing22 said:
Its funny how people just rant and rave about things they know nothing about>  :p People rely on info they get here to be true, and there is no truth in guess work....With that being said, there are NO O2 sensors in the exhaust......I know this due to the fact I have completely disassembled and rebuilt a new exhaust. The only electrical connection in the exhaust is at the SET valve.Â

People please state facts here and not your beliefs :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
rynosback
Very Active Member

Re: Damage from running lean
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 10:26:54 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think Suzuki states that this bike meets some great emission standard. Plus because the bike is fuel injected, there has to be something that measures the gasses comming threw the exhaust. On new cars, they have 2 or 3 O2 sensors. The first ones are pre-catalytic to see the efficiency of the mixture and that other is behind the catalytic converter to measure the converters efficiency.

OK then Wild, help a brother out then. How does the ECM/processor/computer/or what ever it is adjust the fuel mixture?  :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
There is an O2 sensor and it is a heated one. The pictures are pretty crappy in the service manual, but it does not look like it is in the exhaust. If you have a service manual it is on page 12-10. Hope this helps. :read:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys.
I'm not wanting to start an argument, but my bike definately has two O2 sensors in the exhaust system. I'm wondering if different spec bikes perhaps don't have them, but I wouldn't imagine so.
They kinda look like a spark plug threded into the exhaust system.
the original question was about what damage would occur if the engine ran lean, and that varies to the degree of how long it is running lean for and how lean it actually is.
The O2 sensors to some degree will adjust the mixture ratio but only up to a certain point.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
pkn2 said:
Hey guys.
I'm not wanting to start an argument, but my bike definately has two O2 sensors in the exhaust system. I'm wondering if different spec bikes perhaps don't have them, but I wouldn't imagine so.
They kinda look like a spark plug threded into the exhaust system.
the original question was about what damage would occur if the engine ran lean, and that varies to the degree of how long it is running lean for and how lean it actually is.
The O2 sensors to some degree will adjust the mixture ratio but only up to a certain point.
pkn2Different spec? Is yours a 109? USA? Europe??

·
Registered
155 Posts
I copied and studied the wiring diagrams that were posted under :need wiring manual\ top speed limiter: it shows 1 diagram with heated o2 sensors,and,1 without, i say the California models get the 02 sensors for tighter fuel control as suzuki and other makers have been doing for years now.Electronic Control Modules control fuel mixture by increasing or decreasing fuel injector pulsewidth:ie on time based on all sensor inputs,
mainly throttle position,manifold pressure,coolant and intake air temp. Systems with 02 sensors have tighter fuel control by way of a strategy
called short and long term fuel control that constantly adjusts injector pulsewidth acording to all these sensor readings combined.
Hopes this helps all the inquiring minds understand a little better.
Aint hi tech horsepower great!
Auto repair tech guy
Dayton Oh :D

G

·
Where I live we receive bikes that have what we call the california conversion, which are set up to meet the new emission standards. All states are not like this so could'nt the answer swing either way!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts