M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED 2/28/2013

I pulled this information from my website so I could share with my fellow M109R riders.

http://www.hunt4steve.com/m109r2

This is an ongoing project, however I thought I would share my current info with you all, and update this thread as I continue my work. Subscribe to this thread to keep updated on all the latest updates I post. If you all have any comments or questions, please post up.

What sparked this upgrade was the poorly placed speedometer (In my humble opinion). Like many cruisers on the road, the speedometer is placed on the gas tank. While this may look nice, the functionality is quite poor. While wearing a full-face helmet, it's quite a task to lean forward and view just how fast one is going. The Tachometer is very well place, but the law will not issue a ticket based on your tachometer reading, they are more keen on the speedometer. In an effort to make the riding more enjoyable, I've eliminated the stock tachometer and associated warning lights in favor of a Dakota Digital MCV-7200. Setting up this new combination meter is not for the faint of heart. There is extensive wiring modifications that must be accomplished to get this gauge to work correctly. Below I have ongoing documentation concerning my experience on installing this gauge on my 2008 M109R2. Please be advised that Suzuki may or may not have changed wiring color from year to year. Please be responsible and check your bike's schematic before you start down this path.

Here the Dakota Digital MCV-7200 has been unpacked and is eagerly awaiting to be installed on the Boulevard M109R2:

Wrestling with the wires:

Here is the real meat of the upgrade. Stock Schematic

PLEASE pay attention to these next two schematics, there are significant differences between the two

Stock configuration schematic with the factory tachometer:

Modified configuration schematic with the Dakota Digital in place of the Tach:

Figuring out the diodes as items were being lit or not:

Again, if you all have comments or questions, please post up.

edit: 7/15/2010
This is no longer a work in progress, as it is working very well with no hiccups.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
WOW , thats what i call a write up ,your work is very professional
I wish you all the luck, but i fear you wont need it ,pure skill !!!:congrats:

now put it back togeather and let me take it for a test ride , :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW , thats what i call a write up ,your work is very professional
I wish you all the luck, but i fear you wont need it ,pure skill !!!:congrats:

now put it back togeather and let me take it for a test ride , :D
Thanks ooinkk, there is a lot more coming. It took a while to go through my notes and gather my thoughts on this info. This is what I have so far, and I'm still going through all of my notes.

My hope is to help others along their journey, and hopefully the next guy will find it a bit easier with this information out there.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,942 Posts
Awesome job Steve, one of the best how-to's I've ever seen! Thanks for documenting what you have on that and I'm sure it's going to provide a lot of valuable information for others. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thank you very much for sharing. This is a great How to do and it will save a lot of time for all the followers.

I had done it to my 2007 Model. Colour of wiring seem a bit different. Unfortunately I did not make a drawing because it was just terrible and I was so busy to do one thing after the other. Nearly two week's of try and error. Still struggling with the gasoline sensor. Would have been much easier with your information.

Great job mate and thank you !

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Zoom, I'm working on a full schematic that will show what color wires get connected to what color connectors and their purpose.

Hardy, that is a beautiful job of working the gauge into the tank. Is this the stock tank with some type to fiberglass on top of it, making the mold for the DD gauge? It looks really nice!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
udpate

Ok guys, I've updated the first post with a very busy schematic. Is has the wire coloring, connections, etc. And, if you don't want to click all the way back to the top of the thread, here are the schematics that are of most importance.

circuit guide

Stock configuration

Dakota Digital Configuration

·
Registered
204 Posts
hmmmm, lots of views but no comments good or bad. :-\

Anybody have any recommendations or requests? :dontknow:
My recommendation is to give yourself a :bigthumbsup:

If you had posted this a few weeks ago I wouldn't have butchered my headlight doing the tach relocate mod. I suppose I should thank you for saving me money....I was very close to going Dakota Digital, but thought it would be a major pita, which, apparently it was.

But now that you have reduced the pita factor by about 90%, I may reconsider and do it. Great job! :clap2:

·
Registered
213 Posts
hmmmm, lots of views but no comments good or bad. :-\

Anybody have any recommendations or requests? :dontknow:
Thanks for this incredible write up. I've been thinking of going with the Dakota gauge for a while now, but the lack of any coherent wiring diagram made me think twice about doing it. I like the look of the 7400 but wish it was colored like the 5000 series gauges.

Just curious what you are using for the mount, and if you needed to purchase any sensors.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just noticed that there's no check engine light on the dakota gauges. Are there any indicators on the gauge cluster that is not used for this install?

I'm thinking I could just use some other indicator if there is a free one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just noticed that there's no check engine light on the dakota gauges. Are there any indicators on the gauge cluster that is not used for this install?

I'm thinking I could just use some other indicator if there is a free one.
Ya gotta look a little closer at the schematic, there is a check engine light.

Which gauge cluster are you talking about, the Dakota Digital or the Factory Tach cluster?

The W/Bl wire is mapping the FI and the Water Temp sensors to the check engine light.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for this incredible write up. Just curious what you are using for the mount, and if you needed to purchase any sensors.
Thanks, for the kind words. I created my own mount. I used some of the bolts and rubber mounting washers from the old Tach housing and created my own mount that keeps the gauge low and close to the handle bar, but easily readable.

This image is very large, and most browser windows will resize it to fit your current window. Usually, if you single or double click the image, it will change to the designed size.

Wdkomo said:
If you had posted this a few weeks ago I wouldn't have butchered my headlight doing the tach relocate mod. I suppose I should thank you for saving me money....I was very close to going Dakota Digital, but thought it would be a major pita, which, apparently it was.
Well, it wasn't too bad, just took some time to trace the wires and figure out the voltage. However, now that its in place, this should make it much easier for everybody to trace their wires.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ive been thinking about getting a Dakota Digital for a while, just not sure which to go with yet, but thanks for the write up!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive been thinking about getting a Dakota Digital for a while, just not sure which to go with yet, but thanks for the write up!:bigthumbsup:
no problem, hope this can help you. I got the MCV-7200 because I got a killer deal on it. I was sorta torn between the MCV-7200 and the MCV-7100.

MCV-7200:

MCV-7100:

Of course, finding any Dakota Digital for $369 was a deal clencher, so I clenched the MCV-7200.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ya gotta look a little closer at the schematic, there is a check engine light.

Which gauge cluster are you talking about, the Dakota Digital or the Factory Tach cluster?

The W/Bl wire is mapping the FI and the Water Temp sensors to the check engine light.
Thanks, I see it now. I was looking at the Dakota Guage on thier website, I guess they didn't light that one up, or I need a better pair of glasses.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bringing this thread back from the grave....

I've hooked everything up and it all works as it should..... that's good news for me....

However, getting the mileage caught up with the correct mileage is something of a task. I've tried a few different things, all not working.

So, I'm sending the unit to Dakota Digital to have them set the mileage to the matching mileage on my stock odometer....

Hopefully I'll get it back next week and I'll be out riding again......

·
Registered
550 Posts
I wanted to go with a Dakota Digital speedo a couple years ago and emailed them about it and got nothing back. It is a little pricey, but I wanted the speedo up where my eyes didn't have to leave the road...

The other thing I wondered about was what to do with the tank afterwards... with the speedo being $600+ and having some custom tank work done to clean that up...

The wiring work you did gives me hope now... I'm waiting to see what you do with the tank. Great job so far! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts