M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my '07 109 is having some major problems. Looks like my transmission has eaten itself. One of the shift forks was being ground up and causing a problem with 2nd gear. I have been told the bill is currently almost 3,000$. I'm kind of freaking out my friends, baby on the way and this are not a good combination to happen at the same time.

Check out these pics of how my bike looks currently.

Most of the engine torn apart.

Here is the transmission, which I found out today is basically inside the engine. No wonder it cost so much to get to it.

Here is a nice picture of the shift fork. You can see where the gears have been stripping away the fork.

Heres a pic of the cylinder, at least this doesn't look too bad.

Man, the pistons in these bikes are HUGE!

Anyone have any extra cash to help get a Qaz back on the road again? I can sell you a really nice deck of cards for about 3k$! haha

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not cool at all

Sorry to hear that, :edit: it like this scares me with this bike, I was normaly a Kaw man untill I saw this bike but I hear more horror stories on these bike than any other.. If mine does this get ready for a masive tear down and sold..one thing my buddy Rckfrdrider rides his with no promble, he gives me hope. I hate to have a clean bike inthe garageand cant ride it..Even though I dont ride to muchat all...lol

So my '07 109 is having some major problems. Looks like my transmission has eaten itself. One of the shift forks was being ground up and causing a problem with 2nd gear. I have been told the bill is currently almost 3,000$. I'm kind of freaking out my friends, baby on the way and this are not a good combination to happen at the same time.

Check out these pics of how my bike looks currently.

Most of the engine torn apart.

Here is the transmission, which I found out today is basically inside the engine. No wonder it cost so much to get to it.

Here is a nice picture of the shift fork. You can see where the gears have been stripping away the fork.

Heres a pic of the cylinder, at least this doesn't look too bad.

Man, the pistons in these bikes are HUGE!

Anyone have any extra cash to help get a Qaz back on the road again? I can sell you a really nice deck of cards for about 3k$! haha

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
If you let them put the factory parts (shift forks, Shift rods), then this will all happen again. That is what probably caused all the problems in the first place. I currently have a completely done tranny, billet forks, and solid rods ready to be shipped to another member. Really, you should have the tranny sent out and have the 2nd/3rd gears back cut (race cut) or what have you. I know the bill is getting big, but it could be worse---like paying the same bill again in what could be a short while. That same member will be doing this again to his other 9. Just saying, if it is apart, do it right the first time. Oh, and congrats on the baby.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
If you let them put the factory parts (shift forks, Shift rods), then this will all happen again. That is what probably caused all the problems in the first place. I currently have a completely done tranny, billet forks, and solid rods ready to be shipped to another member. Really, you should have the tranny sent out and have the 2nd/3rd gears back cut (race cut) or what have you. I know the bill is getting big, but it could be worse---like paying the same bill again in what could be a short while. That same member will be doing this again to his other 9. Just saying, if it is apart, do it right the first time. Oh, and congrats on the baby.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know they just got the parts in, what information would I need to give my shop about this? I know they ordered all factory party to replace this stuff.
If I tell them they need to cut the 2nd /3rd gears for race cut... they will kno what that means?

I know they started to put it all back together today. I really think whomever had this bike before me put on some nice aftermarket parts and then rode it rather hard. I think the bike scared them because with all the money they put in it..... I was able to buy it with only 2100 miles on it. I've only had the bike a year and a few months. I do love the bike and want to keep riding it but I do not want to have to go through this again.

Oh thanks about the baby! We've been trying for a while!

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I know they just got the parts in, what information would I need to give my shop about this? I know they ordered all factory party to replace this stuff.
If I tell them they need to cut the 2nd /3rd gears for race cut... they will kno what that means?

I know they started to put it all back together today. I really think whomever had this bike before me put on some nice aftermarket parts and then rode it rather hard. I think the bike scared them because with all the money they put in it..... I was able to buy it with only 2100 miles on it. I've only had the bike a year and a few months. I do love the bike and want to keep riding it but I do not want to have to go through this again.

Read this thread. It might help explain it better.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106509

·
Registered
2,447 Posts

First, they will not be able to do the work. They have to send the tranny out--only a couple of shops that do this sort of work. I use R&D Motorsports out of FL. He sells the better shift rods and forks. The dealer should know about back cutting, but may not want to do this---shipping out and setting on this for another 4-6weeks to get things back (they want their money). Now, if they will do this, you could be looking at another $800- to a grand more on top of all that. However, they are extremely high on this right now ($3000)--stealers. I have done things like this before and it should take 8-10hrs to get it out and all apart like your pictures. You are being bent over on this one. If they are willing to do this, they need to stop assembly and get things going in that direction. Le t me know if I can help further.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,871 Posts
Seeing a few too many of those pictures is why I stopped pre-loading the shifter. Having the shift forks in constant contact with a rotating gear may aid the shifting a little, but it sure wears them fast too.

I've focused on shifting faster and more completely instead of pre-loading and hope it helps prevent this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another weird problem happened a few months before this, the shifter cable snapped on me. I was able to fix this one myself but I had never heard of a shifter cable snapping. Thankfully there was one in Denver, but nt to many shops stock the shifter cable or our bikes.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Another weird problem happened a few months before this, the shifter cable snapped on me. I was able to fix this one myself but I had never heard of a shifter cable snapping. Thankfully there was one in Denver, but nt to many shops stock the shifter cable or our bikes.
Do you mean the clutch cable? The shift linkage is just that, a linkage and has no cable in it. If it was your clutch, maybe the clutch was not adjusted correctly from the start causing the trans to stress even more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you mean the clutch cable? The shift linkage is just that, a linkage and has no cable in it. If it was your clutch, maybe the clutch was not adjusted correctly from the start causing the trans to stress even more.
Yeah, thats it. Clutch cable. It pulled right out of the connection at the end where it connects to the transmission.

Since this is all pulled apart now, maybe it will be put back together correctly and al thee problems should be solved! Oh I hope so.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Yeah, thats it. Clutch cable. It pulled right out of the connection at the end where it connects to the transmission.

Since this is all pulled apart now, maybe it will be put back together correctly and al thee problems should be solved! Oh I hope so.
Clutch cables to wear and break, you need to maintain them also. How many miles were on the bike then?

·
Registered
474 Posts
So does preloading the shifter as zoom has said help cause this problem?

Maybe some guys with good knowledge about this can do a how to for the members willing to give it a shot? I dunno, seems like a common problem worthy of some attention. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've focused on shifting faster and more completely instead of pre-loading and hope it helps prevent this.
:agree: I in general always try to shift fast and from one gear out to the next and I clutch very fast. You can still ride hard and aggressive this way but try to minimize the wear & tear of the internal working parts over time (at least that's what I hope :dontknow:). I also try not to run at high RRM's in the lower gears (2nd / 3rd) for extended periods of time. I just feel it's safer to move up a gear and lower the RPM's and cause less strain on the engine in general.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know how you feel.... I started to have these issues at the end of the riding season. I would like to do the work myself so I can do it at my own pace and budget because I also have a baby on the way. I don't know anyone in the Cleveland area I trust to help me with this that is knowledgable about metric bikes though. Dealer quoted me around $3k also. I don't have near that kind of cash. It sucks.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Dealer quoted me around $3k also. I don't have near that kind of cash. It sucks.
You could always call your boy LeBron! I know for sure he's got a few extra bucks! Oh wait, he took his "talents" to South Beach. :doh:

Just playing. :joke:

What mileage do you have on your bike? What year?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Transmission wear

Any transmission you take apart after a few years will have some wear. The only way to keep them "perfect" is to not use them.
After they start to grind into second or pop out of gear, you have several options. Live with it, try to adjust your shifting to be easier on it, or spend a lot to rebuild it.
Trying to prevent excess wear in the first place is too late in your case, but applies to your rebuilt transmission. Keeping the clutch cable adjusted is a must. Going easy (low rpm) shifting into second prolongs the life too.
I did a shift spring mod (in the how-to section), some have done the pro star and spring mod, both keep the bike in second gear better. This is the key to me, not letting it flop around and cause wear.
I went a step further and fabricated a heel shifter. This really helps me shift between first and second cleanly.
I learned many years ago that any transmission can be destroyed if you try hard enough. I put big rear wheels on my first car, revved it up, popped the clutch. Blew the tranny. My Dad said "What did you expect."
You can go on other forums, all bikes and cars have problems. It's not just this one. It's just a machine, it will only take so much.
It's a shame this came at such a bad time for you, but there's never a good time for expensive repairs.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Seeing a few too many of those pictures is why I stopped pre-loading the shifter. Having the shift forks in constant contact with a rotating gear may aid the shifting a little, but it sure wears them fast too.

I was under the impression that preloading the shifter helped alleviate this? Because you're not grinding the gears. Is it less harmful if you don't preload and get some grind in second and third?:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts