M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone on here take there test on there 9? i've been riding for 24 years, have had about 10 permits, but never got around to taking the driving part. partly because every bike i get i mod the hell out of right away. then wonder if they will even let me use it to test on?:cop:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
No, I got my license back in 1979 at 15yrs old. I had to take it on a 100 cc bike. That is all we were allowed to have. Not having a license would scare the crap out of me if I ever had an accident. I could see me getting the sh*t sued out of me plus if you are not licensed, will your insurance pay?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I got my license back in 1979 at 15yrs old. I had to take it on a 100 cc bike. That is all we were allowed to have. Not having a license would scare the crap out of me if I ever had an accident. I could see me getting the sh*t sued out of me plus if you are not licensed, will your insurance pay?
yeah, they will. like i said i do have a permit.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Ok, do they have certin restrictions for a MC permit? It has been so long for me, I never got a permit for a motorcycle, I either passed or failed. My dad trailered my bike in, I just went in took the written test, then had a trooper follow me in my dad's truck on a designated route, then when I got back, I got my license. Times have changed, like I said, I got mine in 1979, so I am an old fart:dontknow:

·
xxx
210 Posts
anyone on here take there test on there 9? i've been riding for 24 years, have had about 10 permits, but never got around to taking the driving part. partly because every bike i get i mod the hell out of right away. then wonder if they will even let me use it to test on?:cop:
Some jurisdictions check the test vehicle to make sure that it complies with all of the vehicle regulations. You may be volunteering it up for some trouble if you've created technical violations with your mods (lights, mufflers, even reflectors).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Iv'e heard of guys taking the test on small dirt bikes before, you could try that. There is always the MC safety class. You would have to look for a class in your area but they usually run about $125ish. Spend a weekend there riding a little rebel 250 maybe learn something you didn't know before and you don't have to take the riding portion of your D/L test when you complete the class. I just took the certificate to the DMV did my written test real quick and I had a license. Most insurance companies will give you a discount if you have completed the class within the last three years.

Good luck

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just took my test this past April (Riding on permit since May 08) SC does check for all safety items. Because of the figure 8's that we test on. I to take the test on my other bike (that I bought for the ex g/f) Honda Shadow Spirit 750. (I felt like one of those circus clowns riding one of those tiny bicycle)
I'm 6'1" bout 220. Just imagine someone taller or wider on this thing :eek:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't taken my test yet but here in New Mexico if you test on a 650cc then you can only ride a bike up to 650cc so if you want a legal license to ride our bike you have to take the road test on it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I haven't taken my test yet but here in New Mexico if you test on a 650cc then you can only ride a bike up to 650cc so if you want a legal license to ride our bike you have to take the road test on it.
If you have a 600 or smaller the course is about 5 feet narrower than something larger. No size class license here in SC

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Just go for it Matt, tell I said you were good to go! lol You could take the MSF class and get your license that way, that's like 2 thursday's and 2 Saturday's. We'll all come and take pics of you on the suzi 250's! lol Seriously though, I hear Kittanning is the place to take your test. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
failed on my 9 but when I was done the lady said she has never seen someone try with that big of a bike. ugh borrowed a 250 ninga sailed right through. the cones were only about 8 feet apart to weve through almost imposible on somthing this heavy, you got to go slooooooow.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
our driving test consists of riding about 1/4 mile up a dead end road-turning around in a cul-de-sac and coming back. my brother and my son took there test on my 9. neither of them had ridden it before. they both passed. i took my test almost 30 years ago on a 50cc yamaha champ. they made me ride it around the building. :dontknow:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just took my endorsement test on the 9 last month....wasn't as easy as all of the Honda 750's, but I managed and passed the test. The cone weave was definitely the hardest part. My brother took it with me on his Warrior and also passed. It's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be...you get to mess up a couple times.

·
Registered
146 Posts
D/L

In Kentucky you take the written permit. You have then 6 months to take road test, but if you take MSF course and pass they will accept that and wave your road test.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
I guess I was lucky. When they started motorcycle drivers license here they allowed you to add the endorsement without taking any test if you were already riding. That was about 20 years ago, so I was grandfathered in.

I'm decent at low speed riding on my 9, but I don't think it would fit between the cones they use for testing here. And you have to watch what bike you use, my friend couldn't cut sharp enough to go through the cones on his Sportster 1200C. Not enough steering angle on it to do it, though it handled fine at low speeds.

·
Registered
643 Posts
first i'll answer your question, no i didn't take the test on a 9 .

now for the opinion parts if you have a valid permit right now go to
www.pamsp.com its the PA/MSF partnered program for safety class and becoming a fully legal rider -AND ITS FREE--- since you have your own bike take the ERC |(experienced riders course) its only one day -- last year we had a guy with a VALKRIE who scored enough points to pass the test so it would be doable with a 9R. one thing to know is when you get to the testing portion ..... when it comes to the double u-turn box, there is not enough points in that box to fail the test (as long as u dont drop it ) so don't panic about that box

make sure along with their safety gear requirements listed on the page make sure your reg/ inspection and insurance are up to date they do check

good luck

·
Registered
547 Posts
In Idaho, you could technically drive without a (here they call it a motorcycle indorsment) license. If you were never stopped no one would know. They require the person to go through a STAR course or take a state skills test. The skills test is in a parking lot, driving around in circles insuring your not going to fall over. Testing braking ability, and road kill avoidance.:doorag:
Wow, now that's ensightful. We all could be riding around without a license if we never got stopped. :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts