M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Print version http://www.m109riders.com/howto/cycplate/

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6076&str=290

This is a pretty easy deal but I'll post this anyway as it may help some of you.

First thing you need to do is pop off the seat. If you need a picture for this then take this bracket to your dealer for the install. ;)

Then you want to pop off your passenger seat or cover, what ever you have on there now.

Now you want to go ahead and pull off the tail section. The first time I did this I pulled off the side covers but you really don't need to. Just pop the corner of each side cover so you can get into the bolt behind the side cover. This will save you a lot of time. There are two Philip head bolts that you have to access from under the fender, don't forget those. ;)

Now that you have all the bolts out just slide the tail section toward the back of the bike and unplug the tail light and set off to the side.

Now unplug the turn signals and plate light and push the wires back down the holes and out of the way.

Now that the wires are out of the way you can cut that big hunk of plastic off. The first time I used a die grinder but this time I used a hacksaw blade just to see if it would work and it worked pretty darn good. :bigthumbsup:

Just cut it flush with the bottom of the plastic plate.

Remove the two stock bolts and replace with new longer bolts from kit. Tighten bolts and put spacer nuts on the back side of bolts.

Install lights to plate bracket and run wires through stock holes.
There are a bunch of different lights that will work on this bracket and you could reinstall the stock lights if you wanted to. Some plate frames have lights built into them too so the lights are up to you. If you use lights other than stock you will need to splice the connectors to your new lights.

Now all you need to do is put it all back together the same way it came apart. You no longer look like a stock bike, :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamont: Another super post! The hacksaw blade looks like the right tool for the plastic removal.

P.S. When the hell do you get any sleep. Between riding, burning rubber, maintaining this and all the other boards and being a "master wrench" your plate rune-th over :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is probabaly one of the first mods people will do on their 109's and this is a really good tut.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bob109 said:
Lamont: Another super post! The hacksaw blade looks like the right tool for the plastic removal.

P.S. When the hell do you get any sleep. Between riding, burning rubber, maintaining this and all the other boards and being a "master wrench" your plate rune-th over :) :) :) :) :)
To tell you the truth it took me longer to write this up than it did to do the work on the bike. ::)
This is all pretty much fun to me so I make time to get it all done. Hope this helps. 8)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamonster said:
To tell you the truth it took me longer to write this up than it did to do the work on the bike. ::)
This is all pretty much fun to me so I make time to get it all done. Hope this helps. 8)
You're making life a heck of a lot easier for the folks on this board including this oldtimer. Once again, you have all our appreciation and gratitude :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why don't the manufacturers make that ugly piece of plastic removable? They all know that most owners are gonna cut it off and if it were removable, they could sell an alternative at the time of purchase....not for street use of course.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Hey Lamont,

I'm probably gonna buy your plate mount and do this mod. My question is.... How do the signal lights mount to the plate bracket? Also, I saw that you used the LED cluster to light the plate. What did you run the wiring for that light to? Gotta keep it legal, so I want to have all my ducks in a row before I hack the junk off the tail. Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just finished this mod with the "cat eye" lights for the rear signals. Anyone have suggestions for a match for the front signals? I tried to fit the lights in the front through the bracket hole for the existing front signals but it didn't fit (too large).

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Q- How do the signal lights mount to the plate bracket?
A- There are tabs on the bracket for the lights.

Q- Also, I saw that you used the LED cluster to light the plate. What did you run the wiring for that light to?
A- You run the wires to the stock plate light harness.

DAJ90 said:
Just finished this mod with the "cat eye" lights for the rear signals. Anyone have suggestions for a match for the front signals? I tried to fit the lights in the front through the bracket hole for the existing front signals but it didn't fit (too large).
I just drilled out the front brackets on mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lamonster said:
Q- How do the signal lights mount to the plate bracket?
A- There are tabs on the bracket for the lights.

Q- Also, I saw that you used the LED cluster to light the plate. What did you run the wiring for that light to?
A- You run the wires to the stock plate light harness.

I just drilled out the front brackets on mine.
Did you just drill larger holes in the front bracket and used the same lights. Just want to make sure I understand B4 I go drilling. I currently have flex LED in front and cat eye signals in back. I like the cat eye best so I want to use some for the front too.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts