M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I finally got the 12" extension I had ordered, so I proceded to remove the inner baffle walls from my stock pipes. I made a video to document the process for those individuals that are on the fence about this mod. Some people are a bit leery about cutting on their brand new bike. Hopefully this will show how easy the process is. Unfortunately, I didn't make a video of me drilling out the 8 holes in each end piece, so there is no comparison of stock versus 8 holes. There is a good comparison of how the pipes sound with 8 holes drilled compared to drilling out one wall and then two walls from each pipe. Just my quick observatioin. There is a huge difference compared to stock, but when comparing drilling 8 holes in each pipe to also drilling out the inner baffle walls, there isn't much difference in sound.... especially at idle. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of the sound when revving, with the complete mod sounding much deeper and more clean than just 8 holes, which to me sounds tinny and high pitched. Anyway, here are the videos.

This one is the complete video showing start to finish.
http://media.putfile.com/M109R-Stock-Pipe-Mod

This video just shows clips from each step... 8 holes, 1st wall, and then complete so you can compare the sounds back to back.
http://media.putfile.com/Stock-Pipe-Mod-Sounds

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
525 Posts
Excellent job. Thank you!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mate thank you for taking the time to make a video of this mod its people like you that are gonna make this site fantastic :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: guess who is getting the drill out but I was wondering if just cutting the whole back plate would be an option for some deep rumble

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Xhiler8r said:
Mate thank you for taking the time to make a video of this mod its people like you that are gonna make this site fantastic :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: guess who is getting the drill out but I was wondering if just cutting the whole back plate would be an option for some deep rumble
Don't know how much different the sound will be, but this is definitely an option. Just know that the top plate is gonna be a real pain because of the angle. You will need 2 hole saws... one that is like 3" and one that is just big enoug to fit around the small inner pipe. Once you remove the end plate, you will need a long heavy duty flathead screw driver or something like that so you can remove the small inner pipe. When you look inside the part that the plate was blocking, you will see that the inner pipe is held in place by three welds. You will need to take the screwdriver and pop those three welds loose in order to remove it. There is a post in the Pipe Mod thread that shows where somebody did this. I think they used a plasma cutter to remove the plates. Just be careful not to cut too close to the outer pipe wall or you will find a nice gap from where the end cap meets the pipe.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
has anyone checked out the HK 2-1 pipes yet for the 109

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
big69 said:
has anyone checked out the HK 2-1 pipes yet for the 109
You might get a better response if you posted this question in a separate post. It doesn't really have anything to do with cutting the baffles. Anyway, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A+ on the video editing bro, I am still trying to figure out how to post a damn picture. I did the same thing you did and got the same results, actually I went one hole further, I added another extension on and popped a third one out but it made no difference. Now I can here one plug ratteling around in there driving me nuts so I will probably debaffle altogether to get rid of it. It makes me where my helmet though, usually I don't but with that sound I find myself wearing it for no other reason than to stop hearing it. Guess the loud pipes save lives theory works in more ways than one.

Thanks for the video, I felt like I was there in your backyard with you, I found myself wanting to bar-b-q and have a beer while watching it???????

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GVOXX said:
I did the same thing you did and got the same results, actually I went one hole further, I added another extension on and popped a third one out but it made no difference.
That's good to know... Now I don't need to worry about buying another extension. Glad you liked the video

Thanks for the video, I felt like I was there in your backyard with you, I found myself wanting to bar-b-q and have a beer while watching it???????
Anytime bro. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
i drilled six1/2" holes then decided to drill two of the holes on each to like 3/4" and made a big differance. sounds like drilling the inner ballfles. i still would like a deeper rumble.
AWSOME VID. GOOD WORK.............VERY INFORMATIVE

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Medic,

That is one of the best, (if not THE best), posts I have ever seen on this site.
That video of you drilling those pipes is AWESOME !!!!!

I bet you get more views on that post than most we have seen.

Keep up the great work !!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Medic,

I've been a member of this site since I got my 109 in back in April, and as you can tell by the number of posts I have that I don't really say much, mostly because a lot of this stuff is over my head.  Your video made this mod seem so easy that it became the first mod I have done.  (I don't count Kury grips and pegs since I had those done for me at Sturgis).  I first drilled out 8 1/2" holes and was really excited by the improvement.  Next, I removed 2 walls from both top and bottom and loved the tone, but decided I wanted a little more volume. So, I slotted some of the holes together and made 3 slots in both top and bottom.  My metal working skills aren't the best and I had to hand file the slots to get them to be the same shape, so I finished it all with some high temp paint.  I couldn't be happier with the sound or the look.  Thanks for making this easy enough that even I could do it.  :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
i just cut out my inner baffles. and decided to cut out the back wall. now i really love the sound. geart vid...medic 1210

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
turbohi said:
i drilled six1/2" holes then decided to drill two of the holes on each to like 3/4" and made a big differance. sounds like drilling the inner ballfles. i still would like a deeper rumble.
AWSOME VID. GOOD WORK.............VERY INFORMATIVE
M109LOVER said:
Medic,

That is one of the best, (if not THE best), posts I have ever seen on this site.
That video of you drilling those pipes is AWESOME !!!!!

I bet you get more views on that post than most we have seen.

Keep up the great work !!!!
CWGwob221 said:
Medic,

I've been a member of this site since I got my 109 in back in April, and as you can tell by the number of posts I have that I don't really say much, mostly because a lot of this stuff is over my head. Your video made this mod seem so easy that it became the first mod I have done. (I don't count Kury grips and pegs since I had those done for me at Sturgis). I first drilled out 8 1/2" holes and was really excited by the improvement. Next, I removed 2 walls from both top and bottom and loved the tone, but decided I wanted a little more volume. So, I slotted some of the holes together and made 3 slots in both top and bottom. My metal working skills aren't the best and I had to hand file the slots to get them to be the same shape, so I finished it all with some high temp paint. I couldn't be happier with the sound or the look. Thanks for making this easy enough that even I could do it. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response as I just got back from vacation. Thanks for the compliments. Glad to know it was worth the time and effort it took to put together.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Great post thanks for the vid that helps the uneducated like myself will probably do the 8 holes in ea :bigthumbsup:ch sounds great

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the video I did the inner walls (only) this weekend had an 18" extension got all three walls in the top, there were only two in the bottom pipe. Also I video taped the stock vs all three walls, not really a noticable difference on tape but I can defenity hear a much deeper tone live. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Medic,

After readering the many posts on drilling/cutting the baffles, I was thoroughly confused, mostly by the different terminology for the same items. I just watched the video and as soon as i fire this reply off, I'm heading to the hardware store to get the drill accessories and perform the mod!

Thanks man!

Harkster

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post so please bare with me. A couple of questions on drilling the holes 1: do you have to adjust anything on the fuel or air intake after drilling the holes ? 2: will this cause the muffler to rust quicker than normal at the drilled end ?

By the way this is my first street bike and I think Suzuki should use this site as a selling tool !!! A lot of great posts like this one on drilling. A great job by everybody who put this site all together and a great job by everybody who uses and shares info that helps fellow riders!! Thanks again :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry for reviving this thread but had a few questions regarding after the drilling is done:

1) Is a power commander/Cobra FI needed to adjust fuel mapping?
2) Is there any back firing? ( at idle or on throttle)
3) Does this void the warranty on the bike?

Is there another alternative (cheap) ;) way that would be better to get a deeper/throaty sound. Other than buying HK's
TIA

1 - 20 of 167 Posts