M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a Custom World driver backrest I am putting on my bike and want to know did you have to notch the seat cowl for the bracket and seat to fit flush with each other? It appears that it should be and also the notch will be hidden by the seat and cowl. Thanks :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I didnt just bolted on and works perfect..but .I have a back seat...

Hello all, I have a Custom World driver backrest I am putting on my bike and want to know did you have to notch the seat cowl for the bracket and seat to fit flush with each other? It appears that it should be and also the notch will be hidden by the seat and cowl. Thanks :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks badboy, Looked at it further and kinda answered my own question. The bracket is whats causing the gap between cowl and seat because its so thick and mounts under seat latch bracket. I had read on this site and saw that someone used a small section of weatherstriping to make up the small gap, will do that Thanks.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Here's what I did with mine. It's a piece of foam tubing off an old leaf rake handle that I was throwing away. It looks a lot like the foam pipe installation you can get at home centers but is a little thinner. The texture and color are close to the seat color and texture. You could use the foam pipe installation but may need to cut a section out so it will collapse. This stays in by itself, I just install the seat and press it in place. And it doesn't scuff the paint. I've had it on for a couple years.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Zoom! That gap seems excessive. Is that foam pushing the gap wider or did you mount the bracket for the backrest between the seat and latch bracket? If you mounted it between the seat and bracket I would guess that would lift the seat a bit increasing the gap. Just wondering!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Hey Zoom! That gap seems excessive. Is that foam pushing the gap wider or did you mount the bracket for the backrest between the seat and latch bracket? If you mounted it between the seat and bracket I would guess that would lift the seat a bit increasing the gap. Just wondering!
No, the foam just sits in there. It's thin but springy enough to flex back out and fill the gap. It's not as bad as the pictures look, no one has ever noticed it's in there. The bracket for these is probably 1/4" thick so it takes up some space.

And it has to mount between the seat latch and base. If it mounted between the latch and the bike, the seat couldn't latch because the pegs wouldn't be long enough. They give you longer bolts that go through the latch and backrest.

Surprising, at least to me, it fits fine with the rear seat. There's just a slight gap when you put it on and not enough to notice at all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No, the foam just sits in there. It's thin but springy enough to flex back out and fill the gap. It's not as bad as the pictures look, no one has ever noticed it's in there. The bracket for these is probably 1/4" thick so it takes up some space.

And it has to mount between the seat latch and base. If it mounted between the latch and the bike, the seat couldn't latch because the pegs wouldn't be long enough. They give you longer bolts that go through the latch and backrest.

Surprising, at least to me, it fits fine with the rear seat. There's just a slight gap when you put it on and not enough to notice at all.
I'm thinking about making my own backrest mount. I was going to weld the backrest mount to the top edge of the seat mount then paint the whole thing black. This way would eliminate raising the seat up the thickness of the backrest bracket fitted between the seat and latch. Thanks for sharing the details.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey guys, did alittle customizing to the mounting bracket. I drilled the bracket out so it can be mounted on top of the seat striker plate instead of underneath it. drilled for the studs to come up through it and eliminated the two bushings. I could not screw the thin nuts onto the studs of the striker plate so I put the thin nuts on the striker plate and tightened them down to the seat. Then put mounting bracket that I drilled on top of it and it fit tight so all I had to do is snug it down and zip tied it to the striker plate. I eliminated the two small bumpers on the mounting bracket and put a small notch in the rear seat cowl so the bracket sat flush between the seat and cowl and sat lower down. The gap is gone and you cannot see under the seat or the small notch that was done for clearance for the seat back rest bracket. It is very stable and the only thing you could do different would be to cut off ends of braclet near the stud holes and drill and add two small bolts between the striker plate and bracket. I did not do that because it is solidly mounted and no gap and looks sweet. I hope this info helps you all. I can take some pics if needed but weather is crappy out right now.8)

·
Registered
364 Posts
hey guys, did alittle customizing to the mounting bracket. I drilled the bracket out so it can be mounted on top of the seat striker plate instead of underneath it. drilled for the studs to come up through it and eliminated the two bushings. I could not screw the thin nuts onto the studs of the striker plate so I put the thin nuts on the striker plate and tightened them down to the seat. Then put mounting bracket that I drilled on top of it and it fit tight so all I had to do is snug it down and zip tied it to the striker plate. I eliminated the two small bumpers on the mounting bracket and put a small notch in the rear seat cowl so the bracket sat flush between the seat and cowl and sat lower down. The gap is gone and you cannot see under the seat or the small notch that was done for clearance for the seat back rest bracket. It is very stable and the only thing you could do different would be to cut off ends of braclet near the stud holes and drill and add two small bolts between the striker plate and bracket. I did not do that because it is solidly mounted and no gap and looks sweet. I hope this info helps you all. I can take some pics if needed but weather is crappy out right now.8)
Post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
SOLO BACK REST

ZOOM,
Could you please tell me where you purchased that backrest with the chrome back plate, It looks awesome, I like to buy one and hope that it is not to difficult to install.
I have a stock seat, which I like to keep, it is comfortable for me. I hope I can attach it to the stock seat.
Thanks KRATTO.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
pictures of seat back rest mod8)
That's a great idea bro. I wondered why they didn't do it that way to begin with when I got mine. Might try that later on and see how it works.

Great looking bike you have there too, I like that paint. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Custom world back rest

Zoom,
Thank you for the backrest information, I got online and ordered it right-a-way.
Looking at your pics, it looks like a relatively straight forward mounting installation. I have a backrest on my Honda Rune and what a difference it makes for comfort. That one is an "Ultimate seat and Backrest"
Thanks again and Merry Christmas and a great riding 2011.
Keep the rubber between you and the asphalt.
Kratto.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
kratto, you're welcome and I hope you also have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year. :D

Once you get it, you'll see how simple it is to mount. Getting it adjusted to fit takes longer than the mounting, but it has a large range of adjustments to it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes you can install back rest without notching the cowl but for me to get the gap closed between the seat and cowl I put the small notch in the cowl. It is not visible because it is below the surface of the cowl and seat mating up. I did it with my dremel and it did not take away any structural integrity or visual astedics from the bike. It moved bracket forward and added clearance for a better fit.8)

·
Registered
733 Posts
pictures of seat back rest mod8)
Sorry for bringing back to life a very old thread, but I was doing a search on this gap issue and found your post.
I noticed that your seat is an Ultimate Seat and I'm wondering if you have tried the back rest with the notched cowl in a factory seat?
The reason I'm asking is because I ordered the Ultimate Seat two days ago, but it will take a couple of weeks before gets here. I got the CWI backrest yesterday and when I attached it to the seat I noticed the gap between the seat and the cowl. I'm willing to do the notch in the cowl, but I'm concern that if I do it now for the factory sea when I installed the Ultimate it might be visible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts