M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that is not even close to what Baldy can do with his work but I wanted to change the look of my stock seat since I painted some other parts of my bike that were black before.
I also brought back to life my Intruder's old seats that were pretty faded.
Unbelievable transformation and relatively cheap! Thanks for Alien109 for his idea and tips. I decided to use a custom color instead of what he used for his seats but the process is the same and the chemical is the same.
Here are before and after photos of the 9's front seat. No before on the Intruder but I can assure you that they were very ugly!

Intruder rear seat

Intruder front seat

Spray cans

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
looks really good, but will it come off from the rider rubbing on it from regular wear and tear?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks really good, but will it come off from the rider rubbing on it from regular wear and tear?
No sir. This is a dye and not a paint. As long as you prep properly allowing enough drying time and thin applications you'll be fine.
The seat will be ready to ride after 4 hours of drying. I left mine "baking" outside from 9:30AM to about 5:00PM.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
They look AWESOME. Goes real nice with your bike. I have been using mine for 2 riding seasons and t still looks new. Like was said proper prep is the key.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
That looks much better than the black. Nice job! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pre work and application

"HM109,
the Job you did on your seat looks great. How did you decide on a color there is no Color sample on the Sem Site??

What kind of prep methods did you use please share.

Again your seat looks Awesome.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

Gallo"

PREP:
Make sure your seat(s) is (are) completely free of any kind of oil, dressing and etc by washing with a dish wash detergent. Allow 24 hours to dry completely. It helps keeping the seat(s) on a upright position drying bc the last thing you want is water coming thru the seams.
Put on a latex glove, clean again with rubbing alcohol to make sure the seat(s) is (are) clean and free of any lints an oil residues if you are handling the seat(s) without a latex glove. Allow at least 10 minutes so the alcohol can evaporate.
Do not apply under the sun and make sure is away from anything you do not want to deal cleaning after! ITS A DYE AND DRIES QUICKLY!
Apply thin coats allowing the dye to dry before you apply the second, third and four. I waited about 5 minutes between coats.
To change from black to any other color you'll have to apply more than 4 coats.
COLOR DECISION:
I picked a color from the samples they have at the store. The color code I used for mine is on the photo I took from the cans.
I told them I did not want the black (for my other seats) to shine and they changed the color for me. It came out like a brand new, like a leather seat.
The place I got is called Reliable Paint and they are located in Sarasota, Fl. They number is 941.922.5475. Call them and ask if you they have a website or direct you where you can see the samples.
I'm sure any auto paint supply will have the samples so you can see, but give them a call.
Hope this helps guys! I really like the result! Even my wife made a comment about the seat while passing the bike in the garage...:joke:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts