M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have had a ton of questions about this so here we go. ( P.S. this is my first shot at this how to stuff so anything that needs improved we can edit)

Parts needed: Everything came from O'Reilly's yes everything

2ea Filters Universal fit with clamps
I used the silver and chrome Spectre 3'' diameter
2ea 90 degree elbows
2ea couple reducers (2 ½ to 3") and it needs 2 clamps per side so it would be 4 total
2ea Unions I used a piece of plastic pipe 2'' in diameter they need to be 2" or so long
● Ok there are two ways you can go on this next part. For the tube that goes into the take you can used two small crankcase breathers or buy a kit from O'Reilly's that has the stuff to drill holes in the elbows and put the tube into the back side. I used the kit and it has the rubber washer, the tube insert, and hole saw all in the package with it.
2ea Brackets you can use the brackets for the intakes at O'Reilly's or make your own and that is what I did.

Ok now you need to remove your old intakes from your bike (also I removed the gas tank to get better access to it but it can be done either way)
Once you have gotten the intake off the bike you start by placing the plastic union into the stock intake hose once you have it in there you have to slide the reducer onto it the 2 ½" side faces up toward the stock hose then use a clamp and clamp it down.
Then you need to get the 90 degree elbow and slide it into the union but keep the rubber reducer on the outside of the elbow then clamp it down also if your going to use the crankcase breathers then you can mount them behind there somewhere but if your going to use the grommets then mark the back where you want to put the tube make sure you leave enough room so its not pull out to far take the elbow off the drill the hole and insert the grommets
Reinstall the elbow back into the rubber reducer and clamp it down.
Then you need to put the chrome plastic clamp that came with the elbow on slide it back so that you can still put the filter and clamp on because this first clamp use what you attach your bracket to the hold it in place don't have to tighten it up yet
Then put your filter on and put the clamp snug so you can get a idea of how long the bracket needs to be to hold it in place don't put a ton of force on it bc it will pull the filter off when you are riding well its happen to a couple of guys. The bracket will attach to one of the stock bolt locations that the stock intake box was.
Then take the filter back off and make your bracket or you can use those screw type from the store. Once you get the bracket on you can put the filter back on it and then just check to make sure its all snug and fits right.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good write-up! I am wanting to do this very soon to mine - but need fuel management first at the same time. Intakes looks great!!!

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Good write-up! I am wanting to do this very soon to mine - but need fuel management first at the same time. Intakes looks great!!!
Actually if you are just doing the intakes, and leaving the stock exhaust, you can get away without fuel management. I ran Edelbrock filters for four years with stock exhaust, and the bike ran fine. I added fuel management when I finally replaced the stock exhaust with Cobra Tri-Pro a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Actually there is already an older "how to" with part numbers and all on here. This is called the "bottle fed" mod. Alot of posts and such on the topic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually there is already an older "how to" with part numbers and all on here. This is called the "bottle fed" mod. Alot of posts and such on the topic.
I didn't know I just have had about 40 pms so I just wrote this up to help not having to explain it everytime lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
I didn't know I just have had about 40 pms so I just wrote this up to help not having to explain it everytime lol
You did a great job bro! Its always better to have to much info than not enough! :bigthumbsup: Its also good to see others versions of the same mod.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Matt, that is part of the problem with the search here. Newbs don't know the vernacular and when they search under different terms it doesn't show up. The older How to's need to be tagged with some different terms for this to work right. But you are correct, there are tons of posts on this very mod. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
:bigthumbsup:A couple of weeks late but still thanks a million I did the Holley ones but Im going to make these for spares ,great detail and pics ,but question: How u deal with the rain?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Some of the old how-to posts no longer have the pics or the parts have changed. :dontknow:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am doing this this weekend great write up...do you happen to have the part numbers??

·
Registered
168 Posts
where did you get that metal bracket from to support the filter

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yea...what he said. Did you fab it yourself or is it premade stock?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are just a flat piece of al stock 1/2 wide and about .050 thick u can pick it up at lowes or home depot then cut to length and then put two holes one at each end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
VERY BEAUTIFULL

i love the mod i will for sure be doing this tomorrow. you just saved me a boat load of cash did you feel any diffrence in performance? while i have the oem filter box off ill be doin the tony mod on the stock air box. Great HOW-TO :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will be going this route when I can get a fuel management. Much cheaper, and the best looking i think. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wonder what the round chrome "hot-rod" aircleaners would look like on this mod....hmmm.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Send FuturR a PM about the brackets, he did a great job with the brackets on GarthenJr and Cope109's bottlefed mod. The best thing is that it is adjustable since it is threaded on both ends.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts