M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, fairings look bad.

But, if you have ridden behind one, you know their value.

Mine is quick-detachable and mounted on the brackets from a Vstream windshield.

So, with that said, here is the current progress:

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
Looking good SR:bigthumbsup:

Do you think it will need additional mounting brackets around the handle bars? I was just wondering since the additional mass over that of the vstream- plus high speeds:D

Keep up the great work:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
not my cup of tea.... but make it your own bro..! Whats next, you making bags and doing a dual exhaust?? <---- my ideas if you go that route... LOL ;)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking good SR:bigthumbsup:

Do you think it will need additional mounting brackets around the handle bars? I was just wondering since the additional mass over that of the vstream- plus high speeds:D

Keep up the great work:bigthumbsup:
It may need supports, but I will not really know until I get there.

I would love If I could avoid the extra supports, but we will see.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not my cut of tea.... but make it your own bro..! Whats next, you making bags and doing a dual exhaust?? <---- my ideas if you go that route... LOL ;)
Not my cut of tea either, but I am force to admit the function of it when the temps drop to 30.

No dual exhaust, but the bags are already underway. Just not enough to show anyone yet. The started out as a set of bags from a Goldwing Gl1800. They are cut and ready to mock up in position so that I can fill in the gaps and make mounts.

My plan it to have the bags be one piece that replaces the rear fender and includes the rear seat and tour pack.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
The thing looks like the head of an elephant without a trunk :a20: I have said this from the beginning and will say it now. I will not put something like that on my bike just to ride in 30 degree or below temps. Unless it is your sole mode of transporation, why uglify your beautiful bike like that?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing looks like the head of an elephant without a trunk :a20: I have said this from the beginning and will say it now. I will not put something like that on my bike just to ride in 30 degree or below temps. Unless it is your sole mode of transporation, why uglify your beautiful bike like that?
Because I would rather ride an uglified bike than not ride at all.

Now that you mention it, it kind of does look like and elphant head.:p

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I could not bring myself to strap my bike to a trailer.:dontknow:

We all do what we gotta do to get the riding we want.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I am liking that. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup: Looking forward to the finished product. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nice fab work!
To me it looks like it is from Aliens.

·
Registered
75 Posts
when you done you have to paint the head of the queen from Alien. With the low headlight and taller fairing, looking at them front the front reminds me of the queen when she was trapped in the egg layer.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Unlike some, I like a fairing on the 9. I just don't like the styles that are offered for the 9. I hate to have to change the headlight to get the right look. Maybe your style will give me a better choice. Good luck. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unlike some, I like a fairing on the 9. I just don't like the styles that are offered for the 9. I hate to have to change the headlight to get the right look. Maybe your style will give me a better choice. Good luck. :bigthumbsup:
Well, if you like how the Vstream fits in, then take note that the center section is cast off a Vstream touring shield.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Not my cut of tea either, but I am force to admit the function of it when the temps drop to 30.

No dual exhaust, but the bags are already underway. Just not enough to show anyone yet. The started out as a set of bags from a Goldwing Gl1800. They are cut and ready to mock up in position so that I can fill in the gaps and make mounts.

My plan it to have the bags be one piece that replaces the rear fender and includes the rear seat and tour pack.
i think i see them in the backround of your pics....is there a trunk in your future?.?.?:doorag:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think i see them in the backround of your pics....is there a trunk in your future?.?.?:doorag:
That trunk has been around for a while, though you will not see any pictures of it on the bike :evil:

That is my wife's tour pack/ back rest.

It is mounted to sissy bar mounts with the shelf.

4 bolts go down through the tour pack to the shelf and she gets her full wrap around back rest.

I plan to split that trunk down the middle and widen it so I can fit a HD touring back rest on there for her.

That is part of the same project as the bags though.

The bags came off a Goldwing and I cut away the back portions where they mount so I can fab them into a one-piece unit that replaces the stock rear outer fender.

The bags and trunk will all be mounted to the sissy bar brackets so the entire touring rear will come off with 4 simple bolts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You could just use some handlebar mount brackets from the other windshield guys, two would do it. Are you doing some more shaping before the sanding and finish work? The reason I ask is I saw some cool vents ant accents that would help the aesthetics a bit. I like the idea of building your own fairing. Maybe it'll take off and people will want to buy some off you....who knows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey SR i too thought of hard bags to go on the 9, however i am in no way mechanically inclined lol, but i posted a thread awhile back asking if anyone knew where some1 could buy bags similar to the 1's sold on the milwaukee bagger website, i just dont really care for the corbin bags. i'll be looking to see when u post the bags :pop:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts