M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm sorry i'm relatively new to the boards and in attempting to search the archives I wasn't able to locate anything with ease, and it became increasingly clear I should just post a thread to get answers... :)

I just received my AWESOME air covers back from Len, (DUCKS Covers)... My question is to those others in my position who have decided to light them up. How many LED's would you recommend? Where would you place them? and did you just run the wires out the drain hole at the bottom when doing so?

I was thinking of putting a strip of 4-6in along the top kinda facing down... is that enough, or should i put in like 3 3" strips on the 3 'sides' facing inward? do I want to run a long strip outside along the gas take facing down at the top of the cover? just wanted to get a gauge of what some of you have done, to get an idea of how bright it will turn out... I'm a nervous guy who wants to do it correct the first time, if that makes sense...

Totally appreciate any help I can get. I'm a very visual person so if you by chance have pics, that'd be awesome :)

Also, when i removed my covers the tiny rubber 'gasket' sort of thing around the edge which seemed ridiculously flimsy obviously came off, should I attempt to glue that back on when reattaching or do you think it might not be necessary? Thanks again guys...

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
You do not glue the gasket. Just put it into place and put the covers back together. As far as the LEDs I think it is more trial and error to find out what works best for you as far as looks. And run the wires through the back hole so you will not see the wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do not glue the gasket. Just put it into place and put the covers back together. As far as the LEDs I think it is more trial and error to find out what works best for you as far as looks. And run the wires through the back hole so you will not see the wires.
As far as the gasket type thing, It doesn't stay in place at all? is there an easy way to get it to set in, or is it just patience... since it's one long strand of rubber that seems to need to be fitted relatively perfectly balanced before placing...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember reading someone mentioning that blocking off the back hole with a rubber 2in PVC cover, would be a good idea, do you recommend this as well? could easily put a hole or put wires through that as well i suppose...

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
Yes I would block it with the ducks mod. One of the reasons of doing this mod is to get cool air into the engine, not the hot air from the engine. You will get more power this way.

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
As far as the gasket type thing, It doesn't stay in place at all? is there an easy way to get it to set in, or is it just patience... since it's one long strand of rubber that seems to need to be fitted relatively perfectly balanced before placing...
I just line it up and inch it in the grove of the black backing plate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I would block it with the ducks mod. One of the reasons of doing this mod is to get cool air into the engine, not the hot air from the engine. You will get more power this way.
It made sense that way to me... Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
You have to try and see what you like some like more some like just a glow use a 9 volt battery to see how they look pic of mine in blue below

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Check out Joe Flordia or JSLEDS

I have the biggest set of blue leds that Joe Flordia makes and they are just sick. They also come with a lifetime warranty. Jsleds are good too, your choice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you got LEDS from an auto parts store they come with a battery pack with a switch. You can position them and use that switch to see what looks best

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you got LEDS from an auto parts store they come with a battery pack with a switch. You can position them and use that switch to see what looks best

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
this is what i did held them in place and hit the switch to see if this where i want them ...worked out great

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Hi guys, I'm sorry i'm relatively new to the boards and in attempting to search the archives I wasn't able to locate anything with ease, and it became increasingly clear I should just post a thread to get answers... :)

I just received my AWESOME air covers back from Len, (DUCKS Covers)... My question is to those others in my position who have decided to light them up. How many LED's would you recommend? Where would you place them? and did you just run the wires out the drain hole at the bottom when doing so?

I was thinking of putting a strip of 4-6in along the top kinda facing down... is that enough, or should i put in like 3 3" strips on the 3 'sides' facing inward? do I want to run a long strip outside along the gas take facing down at the top of the cover? just wanted to get a gauge of what some of you have done, to get an idea of how bright it will turn out... I'm a nervous guy who wants to do it correct the first time, if that makes sense...

Totally appreciate any help I can get. I'm a very visual person so if you by chance have pics, that'd be awesome :)

Also, when i removed my covers the tiny rubber 'gasket' sort of thing around the edge which seemed ridiculously flimsy obviously came off, should I attempt to glue that back on when reattaching or do you think it might not be necessary? Thanks again guys...
Post som pics of the air covers.
As far as lights go I did my own from Autozone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand the concept of covering the 'hole' in the back since i now have Ducks open air flow... but what was the cover piece that you guys used to cap it off? someone said something about picking one up for Home Depot for cheap but i couldn't find/remember what it was he mentioned

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's just a 2" PVC pipe cap, if I recall it correctly.
Thanks everyone... I've picked up some rubber pvc pipe caps, from the HomeDepot they fit pretty snug, and I managed to find a whole bunch of lighting options, and since i'm not very good at deciding i got them all, time to try them all and see which ones look best... I was curious if you guys ran your wires around the side of the hole before you put the cover on, or if you decided to cut a hole in the cap and ran wires through that? I was thinking of cutting the whole and running em through that... and not bother tightening down the pipe clamp... since the pressure will probably be enough considering it's pretty tight as it is... Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Looks good!... Curious, did you put a 4 inch piece inside the covers? or did have a 12 in piece wrapped around?
I used 2 - 4" pieces one on the top and one on the bottom the air funnel in the middle of the air box causes shaddow so to eliminate the shaddow I surrounded it.8)

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's just a 2" PVC pipe cap, if I recall it correctly.
I originally bought the 2" cap and then returned it for the smaller one (I think it was 1.25"). Even that didn't work right. I ended up cutting the cap so it was flat and I used Gorilla Glue to attach it to the inside of the cover, removing the tube all together. Worked good for me. As far as LED's. I did the Duck mod and messed around with the lights in the cover, but it was to open to really see the effect I wanted so I just have what you see in my signature line. Good luck and post some pics when you're done.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used 2 - 4" pieces one on the top and one on the bottom the air funnel in the middle of the air box causes shaddow so to eliminate the shaddow I surrounded it.8)
I ended up using two 4" pieces as well, just put them in an hour ago... I played around with different looks, and in the end decided to put them both up on top of the cover shining down... at crossing angles... it turned out pretty well, I found putting one on the bottom (with the LED's that i was using) just seemed to waste the light as it just shone straight down an filled the empty space at the bottom... but then again my cut-out is mostly up toward the top... I'll get pics up soon as as i can figure out how... lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I originally bought the 2" cap and then returned it for the smaller one (I think it was 1.25"). Even that didn't work right. I ended up cutting the cap so it was flat and I used Gorilla Glue to attach it to the inside of the cover, removing the tube all together. Worked good for me. As far as LED's. I did the Duck mod and messed around with the lights in the cover, but it was to open to really see the effect I wanted so I just have what you see in my signature line. Good luck and post some pics when you're done.:bigthumbsup:
I found the 2" cap to be perfect... it fit over the hole pretty snug, I had to work it around a bit but got it on there and looked good...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts