M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my oil for the first time (the stealer has changed it the last few times and I'm sick of them overfilling). At any rate, I ordered two new crush washers and put the flat side against the block, figuring the rounder side should sit against the bolt head. Does it really matter? By the looks of the old crush washer, both sides get crushed, so I just want to make sure I'll be ok. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
the crush washer is there more to protect the oil pan from the bolt boring into it ( being that it is a harder material ) It does provide a seal however going without one ore reusing the old one would work also as any leakage would be minimal to the point you would never notice .Over torquing the bolt is the big concern.Aluminum pan will give before the steel bolt every time .
I would say based on my experience that it doesn't matter if the rounded side it towards the bolt or the pan ... the washer will deform one way or the other to a flat on both sides condition ...

JUST DON'T OVER TIGHTEN .....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the crush washer is there more to protect the oil pan from the bolt boring into it ( being that it is a harder material ) It does provide a seal however going without one ore reusing the old one would work also as any leakage would be minimal to the point you would never notice .Over torquing the bolt is the big concern.Aluminum pan will give before the steel bolt every time .
I would say based on my experience that it doesn't matter if the rounded side it towards the bolt or the pan ... the washer will deform one way or the other to a flat on both sides condition ...

JUST DON'T OVER TIGHTEN .....
You are spot on with your response:bigthumbsup:
I actually invested in a torque wrench so that I can't go wrong with the 16.5 spec on the drain plugs. This is my first time changing oil on the 9, but the wrench has never let me down as I've done many oil changes on my previous suzuki and never had a problem with it.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,900 Posts
Torque spec: Tighten 'til it strips, then back off 1/4 turn... :joke:

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Just changed my oil for the first time (the stealer has changed it the last few times and I'm sick of them overfilling). At any rate, I ordered two new crush washers and put the flat side against the block, figuring the rounder side should sit against the bolt head. Does it really matter? By the looks of the old crush washer, both sides get crushed, so I just want to make sure I'll be ok. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=782565#post782565

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=602448#post602448

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm... I really don't think it matters which orientation. There is usually lots of debate on the proper fittment. Check out this thread about the same crush washers we use on a yamaha forum:
http://www.yamaha-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4174

The forum moderator on that board states that the flat side goes against the pan. I don't think it matters since nothing explicity states the orientation. I'm willing to bet that many would be split on this topic. My dealer installs the washer with the curved side on the block; but what makes them the "holy grail" since they overfill every 9 that comes in the door, and set the tire pressure to 32lbs front and rear....... It's not a car junior:edit:

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Hmm... I really don't think it matters which orientation. There is usually lots of debate on the proper fittment. Check out this thread about the same crush washers we use on a yamaha forum:
http://www.yamaha-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4174

The forum moderator on that board states that the flat side goes against the pan. I don't think it matters since nothing explicity states the orientation. I'm willing to bet that many would be split on this topic. My dealer installs the washer with the curved side on the block; but what makes them the "holy grail" since they overfill every 9 that comes in the door, and set the tire pressure to 32lbs front and rear....... It's not a car junior:edit:
Sorry bro, that forum moderator is wrong. :-\ Yes, debating the merits of crush washer orientation is akin to best-oil debates here. I've hear the same arguments at work every month related to crush washer orientation for muzzle brakes and suppressors. There IS a good reason for correct orientation, but that moderator got it wrong. Maybe someday I'll post some macro shots of what happens to the washer when installed each way. Right now I don't have time or the intestinal fortitude to debate the issue. I will say this though... Suzuki went from solid flat washers to soft one-time-use crush washers. Remove a drain plug from a late model 9 and inspect with a magnifying glass and tell me which way it goes. :D Or better yet, just pull a new NGK spark plug out of the box and note the orientation of the same. Bottom line is that orientation probably won't make much of a difference on a 109 drain plug with a minimal amount of pressure behind the plug. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shouldn't be a problem as the washers are extremely soft and conform to just about any irregularity. :bigthumbsup:
Thanks... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't causing an issue in reverse. I will remember to put them on right the next time!

-RT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts