M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Hope I don't seem like a disgruntled 109 owner, though I am! I am 56yrs old, and started out on dirt bikes when I was 18. I have owned every brand ( except Harley road bikes ) and enjoyed most of them. Most of my bikes have been sport tourers, and my favorite was ducati 907. Having said that, experience goes a long way in book. My wife asked if we could buy a cruiser, so I gave in. She never complained all the years that she was bent over holding on, so we went looking. We wre going to look at suzuki 90c, but, m109 was sitting there and it was a no brainer, GOOD FOR BOTH! Now I get " Cruiser" magazine and they do "real-world comparo" of biggest v-twin cruisers. Well let me say that whomever was riding the 109 and said it could not keep up in the twistys, and did not handle well in corners at low speeds had better go back to training and practice. This bike should not be put in the same class with those motorcycles,its a different breed thats the reason i bought it. The handleing, throttle response is for bike this this size, and in the hands of an experienced rider will put Motor Cycle Cruiser Mag to rest. I am sorry if I affened Anyone,but thats my statement and I'm sticken to it!!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
We had a thread about this magazine a few days ago, I got really confused. The magazine name is "Motorcycle Cruiser" not just "Cruiser". There was another similar writeup with 5 bikes instead of 4 in "Cruising Rider" magazine. In that one they didn't say squat about the bikes, just talked about the ride to the earthquake center of California. ::)
Both magazines also had a review of a "Big Dog" motorcycle, which just added to the confusion. :doorag:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cruising Rider just had the ride,Cruiser had the comparo. I have been in the twistys in Conn. and RI where I'm from and it all boils down to experience and what your compfortable with in my thoughts. The article was not a fair comparison, because our bikes are not a cruiser in that sense! We have sport cruisers that need a special riding ability, wether you have it now or you will learn as you go along.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:bigthumbsup: I think it handles great. I am not sure I would go canyon riding in CA with it, but that is because I don't feel I have the skill level to do that.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I got confused. I thought you were saying you WERE a digruntled M109 owner. I take it you like your 109?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first time I scraped the peg, it was to late late to worry,then afterwards i found out it was my boot that made contact! Since then I have not been worried about leaning her over in the corners as long as you keep the power on and road is clear of sand ect.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was also not so happy with the write-up. 4 of the 5 riders are cruiser only riders and not used to the sport cruiser style. The only one who said anything positive about the bike was the woman who is used to riding sport bikes.

I have been riding sport bikes for about 11 years and after MUCH talking fromm the wife, I DECIDED it was time to get a cruiser. I eventually set my sights on the 109 and got her two weeks ago Because of a broken ankle, I haven't been able to ride her as much as I'd like to, but I have put 204 miles on with two really good 50 mile rides and several little trips around town. The 500 mile break in period, the different riding style, and my broken ankle have not let me put her to her paces, but I'm hoping to be able to in about 5 weeks when the cast comes off.

The only thing about this bike that isn't perfect is the RESPONSIVE throttle. Once I get used to such fine controls, this bike will be everything I've ever looked for in my riding years. I don't know what the writers of the article were looking for, but their garbage is my treasure,. and my blurple beauty is just that, a real treasure.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I read that article also and the 109 was the one that the guys didn't want to get off of. It was definitely the "coolest" of the bunch per Cruiser Mag. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
OYChoppa said:
I read that article also and the 109 was the one that the guys didn't want to get off of. It was definitely the "coolest" of the bunch per Cruiser Mag. :bigthumbsup:
+1.....i took mine to west yellowstone this weekend with a bunch of harleys...want to talk about staying off the throttle so they can keep up. and the twisties? well lets say they couldnt keep up... nothing but fun on that bike....

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
turbohi said:
+1.....i took mine to west yellowstone this weekend with a bunch of harleys...want to talk about staying off the throttle so they can keep up. and the twisties? well lets say they couldnt keep up... nothing but fun on that bike....
We rode in the GA mountains today and the ONLY bike we had to slow for were the Harleys. One guy, after follow a very slow cage FOREVER down the mountain would not even pass it when the guy pulled to the right to let us 6 or so bikes go by.

Must say the 109 does pretty well up there. I know we surprised a few people with our corner speeds.

Sledzep

·
Registered
330 Posts
going to jackson hole tomorrow.. :doorag: should be another 300 mile trip. ya baby. lots more mountains. never thought i would have this much fun. poor harley guys that have to keep up. i just have to remember to slow down on the straights after the coners so they can catch back up :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
this was the same article where they bitched about the handling being to stiff then never mentioned adjusting the shock so they must not have known how or if it even was adjustable. not a much better article than the other one where they rode to earthquake central in Ca and did not even talk about technical aspects of the bike. ::)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
steve j said:
this was the same article where they bitched about the handling being to stiff then never mentioned adjusting the shock so they must not have known how or if it even was adjustable. not a much better article than the other one where they rode to earthquake central in Ca and did not even talk about technical aspects of the bike. ::)
Technically, it is not adjustable unless you bitch to the Zook and wait 8 weeks for the tool :joke:

Sledzep

·
Registered
103 Posts
This was the magazine that convinced me to purchase the 109 with an earlier article. I thought the article was very good, and I agree that the unusual riding position is not for everyone. I went on a 600km rid last Sunday and I could barley move for 2 days but I don't think it was the bikes fault.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've said this before in another thread but I am not too worried about what the article said. I already own a 109, I ride it, I love it and think it handles great. Maybe the reviewer just needed some more seat time. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts