M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I have put a cruise control on my bike because of two things, one is that they just look cheap (Vista Cruise) and the other is I never felt like I really needed one. ::)

After that 900+ mile ride back from New York I really wished I could have taken my hand off of the throttle for a while so I could give that arm a rest. ::) I get a pain in my right shoulderblade from not being able to let go of the throttle. :verymad:

When I saw Hals cruise control that he put on last week I thought to myself that sure would be nice to have on this trip to Sturgis. :bigthumbsup:

Hal sent me one out and I got to tell you this thing is made like a watch or a gun. Every piece is very well thought out and has so many adjustments that I think he's covered every possible situation. You got to remember I changed my bars and grips so mine didn't mount exactly like Hal's but they mad provisions for the longer reach I needed. 8)

The first thing I did was take it out and go through the step by step. The only problem is I didn't read ahead and proceeded to call Hal and tell him that there was no way these were going to work with the Kury ISO grips and there must be another kit for that. He asked if I read the instructions and if I used soap on the grips like the instructions said to do. I guess I didn't read that far down so I unpacked the cruise control and tried it again with dish soap. :redfaced:

Guess what, that worked! :bigthumbsup: It was still a tight fit but it did go on and after making all the adjustments I couldn't be happier with it. It is very well made and the instructions were great if you just read them and follow them to the letter. I've always had a problem with that. ::)

This is going to be a big help on this trip and it looks pretty good on the bike too. :doorag: It's not cheap but it's not cheaply made either. This is a quality piece and you can see why it cost so much after you take it apart. This this is as safe as can be and will not interfear with your normal riding.
http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6105&str=290

By the way, you guys are right about that trunk. I need to get it a lot lower for it to look right at all so I will work on that but in the mean time I'm putting a hitch on Tuesday at Bushtech just in case this trunk thing doesn't work out. ::)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah I put that brake away throttle lock on last week and I had my doubts to till I actually read and followed the instructions,after all else failed of course. ::)
Dave

G

·
This is my second bike with this, it is the first thing I buy now for a cruiser type bike. You are right about the watch analogy it was the first thing I said also.

This would be the my vote for the best 200.00 expenditure for any bike.

I love it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Lamont, what end caps do you have on your ISO grips? Does Direct Line sell them?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes direct line sells them. I think i might need them too. Ordered my cruise last monday and patiently waiting.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Brakeaways rock the house. Everyone always GASPS :yikes: at the price at first, but it's worth it and then some.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sailor34957 said:
Lamont,

Did you have to remove the grip to put the cruise control on? I love the look.
No, you just use a little dish soap and slide it over the grip. It's a tight fit but it will go. :doorag:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Adjustment is a pain in the A$$. I'm on break right now, frustrated. My engagement is hard on the cruise control. S.O.B.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jamiesM109R said:
Adjustment is a pain in the A$$. I'm on break right now, frustrated. My engagement is hard on the cruise control. S.O.B.
Try loosening the two screws at the bottom of that flat spring and then ingage the control and then tighten those screws back up. I had the same problem and that fixed it for me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'll give that a try tonight.  I did take it down the rode and just had to reach over a push up from underneath to lock it in.  Everything else works great. Can't find the resume button though :joke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts