M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've seen a couple of bikes that people have put 1" bar Vista cruise units on. They're actually throttle lock, or throttle friction devices, but they 're what most people think of and use as a cruise control. They allow you to set the throttle position and to relax your right hand once in a while. I've seen them on the HDL site for $31.95.
Jer

·
Registered
171 Posts
I really need one of these. When I search for cruise controls on some of the parts sites, I can find none for less than $170.

I am a new rider and it is quite difficult for me to maintain a smooth throttle setting when going over medium to large bumps. Perhaps I should adjust the rear suspension too.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Because of the nature of the beast, it's engine characteristics, shaft drive, etc, it's not unusual to get some power surge feelings when hitting bumps and other things. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
As for adjusting your suspension, that's a matter of personal preference and a bike is not quite like a car comfort wise. I actually prefer mine fairly stiff for cornering and handling and feel safer that way. Like I said though, to each their own.
Throttle locks work best for me when you've been holding on tight for a quite a while. They help avoid cramps in my right hand. Even at that, I only use one on fairly flat wide open sections. Most of the time, I want all the control I can manage.
Jer

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MacPilot, I have the same problem. My right hand index and middle finger start to go numb after only about 10 to 15 minutes of riding. I use to think it was because I was riding a sportbike but this cruiser is a whole different sitting posture. Being able to release the throttle and move my hand helps alot but this bike has so much torque that I lose 5 to 10 MPH quick. When I am on the highway in traffic this doesn't cut it. Thanks for the info. I have seen the throttle locks with the little lever on the bottom but I have also seen the ones that look like a ring lock. Don't know which one is better but I guess I will find out. :evil:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey jerbear, do you have a link to the HDL site where the cruise controls are. I have been looking for one everywhere. Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
I installed the 32.00 dollar one that most Suzuki dealers sale (Vista) and is not working for me. I may have to come up with something because on the hwy after you lock the grip it does not have enough tension to maintain the speed. Is slipping a little and I can see the speed going down. If I adjust it more the throttle will get stuck and I do not want that. I will change the grips and see..... ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
i have the 32.00 vista on my bike and i had it on my valkyrie and on my 1500 nomad
let me tell you i do alot of long distance riding and i love it

·
Registered
61 Posts
grips and vista cruise

I have been looking at all the posts but with this do you have to change your grips or can you leave org. on:doh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.