M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sad news just released.
Guess you could say he died doing what he loved but 42 was a bit early.
RIP Steve Irwin

According to early reports, Irwin was killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest while filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas.

"The area it was delivered to was the problem. A sting ray hit to the chest is a big problem," a spokesman for the Queensland Ambulance Service said.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hard to believe, all the close calls he has had with crocks and snakes and a stingray takes him out. I feel sorry for his family, that is way sad for the kids.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BearCom said:
I feel sorry for his family, that is way sad for the kids.
Yeah that's the hard bit.
Saw a program on him a month or so ago , his daughter was there and it was clear she was "daddys girl" and idolised him as only young kids can...so sad for her.

·
Registered
666 Posts
wow thats sad :( i really liked him

RIP

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin, 44 was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.

Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catch phrase "Crikey!"

But his image suffered a setback in January 2004 when he held his then 1-month-old baby Bob while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo. (Full story)

In a statement released to Australian media, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'."

G

·
I just came back from Port Douglas and snorkeled in exactly the same reef that he lost his life.
Australia has lost a great ambassador , this is very upsetting news. :(

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Man I was hoping this was a really bad joke and I was going to delete it. All my family are snake and critter folks and we loved the guy, he was nuts. I can't say that this surprises me but it sadens me forsure. :confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeh this is a guy that has made a name for himself world wide he loved doing what he was doing and at least he died in a way that he would have been enjoying himself. I feel for his family and all of his friends he will be dearly missed by millions of people across this globe

R.I.P Steve you were one top bloke in my eyes :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Croc Hunter was my sons favorite thing to watch on tv. My boy is going to be really hurt over this. Steve was different but he loved his family and I feel so sorry for them. R.I.P. Steve

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am so sad to learn about this :( This guy was awesome :bigthumbsup: - and he was so young! Live for today because we never know what tomorrow will bring !

RIP Steve Irwin - you will be in my prayers

·
Registered
230 Posts
:( A man that was so full of life, so happy to be alive and live with all of GOD's creatures... gone...
His spirit will never die.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The following quote has never felt more fitting. Rest in peace, young man.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost / The Road Not Taken

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I loved watching this crazy bloke jump into the water with creatures that would have had me climbing a tree! I always thought it would be a croc or a snake that got him, never would have thought it would be a stingray. Sad day for nature lovers everywhere

1 - 20 of 47 Posts