M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some KNOWLEDGEABLE advice on how much to settle for in my crash. The insurance company want to settle and I want to have an idea of what range I should be looking at. I don't want to get an attorney

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was 6:30 AM, July 8, 2010. The previous three days had been HOT and I had ridden the cage. Today was warmer and I choose to ride the beast. I was rolling down towards the inter state in the right lane looking to take the ramp.

And then I saw her out of the corner of my eye. She made a right turn on red right in front of me. I instinctively swerved into the left lane, perhaps instead of aggressively braking. She continued boxing me in, drifting into the left lane. I rolled on the throttle to get out of harms way and then recollect her swiping my rear tire just before impact.

Thirteen hours of surgery and a month in intensive care later, I am back home, immobilized due to seven fractures [right femur broken in two places, both shoulders broken, right knee needed rebuilding, right fibula broken, right heel almost torn off, several teeth loose and may need replacing]

Bike is totaled.I will not be working for about five months and will start learning how to walk after three months. Will be on disability.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
you have 5 years to close the case. take your time and let you injuries heal 100% before you take any money from ins. they will lowball the hell out of you. i am going through the same stuff right now.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Man, those are some crazy injuries you receiced there. Glad to hear you made it through wiht all parts still attached. Sounds like it was a wicked accident.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Brother, I hate attorneys for the most part but you need one. You shouldnt handle this by yourself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just an FYI, I was rear ended at an intersection by a guy who tried to run the intersection. I stopped at a green to yield to EMS goin across the intersection. He hit me while I was at a dead stop and he was doin about 35. I didnt brace for it b/c I didn't see him. I ended up with 2 herniated discs and long-term/permanent damage and pain in my lower back.

After about a week, the insurance company offered me 800!!!WTF, I consulted a lawyer and two years later I walked with 24K.

If I were you I would DEFINITELY get a lawyer.
You will probably walk with 7 digits because there is permanent damage and the extent is so severe.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Brother, I hate attorneys for the most part but you need one. You shouldnt handle this by yourself.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Brother, are you seeing a trend?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
you have 5 years to close the case. take your time and let you injuries heal 100% before you take any money from ins. they will lowball the hell out of you. i am going through the same stuff right now.
i agree with myself and mr. pimp on this one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
get a lawyer

I had the same injuries except for the ankle but I had a back broken, ribs, and some light internal stuff and I got alot more in the initial settlement however the lawer did take a large chunk out of it. It was still worth getting a lawyer even though the adjuster was more then friendly and I kinda felt bad for a second or 2 while I got the lawer.

·
Registered
947 Posts
With some experience in this kind of thing, GET A GOOD PERSONAL INJURY lawyer. I had only a small accident in my car (was rear ended). Without an attorney, they offered like $500. When I told them I was getting an attorney, it went up to $2,000. When it was done, we settled for $10,000. So even with the attorney getting 1/3, I still came out ALOT better than I would have without an attorney.

Also, take as long as you can because little stuff will pop up and you may incur other expenses that you can go after them to get reimbursed for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts