M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know which direction the crank rotates when running? I searched and no luck. I know I could just pull off a cover and look while running but the bike is already torn down. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Why, exactly, do you ask?

As per the instruction manual, I would assume the crank rotates counter-clockwise with respect to the left / ignition-key side of the bike:

That's their procedure for finding TDC at least, which I'm relatively certain *always* follows the regular rotation of the engine.

Granted, it's of greater importance on engines using more than 2 cylinders, in which you adjust valve lash by following the firing order after finding #1 TDC.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. Maybe it don't matter which way I turn it to find TDC but the directions in the sevice manual say to rotate in normal operating direction. Didn't know for sure which way that was and I've already got the valve covers off. But yeah, I guess if all else fails, check the instructions on finding TDC. lol Just checking the vavle clearances. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Funny, I just looked at the valve clearance section (Ch.2) of the manual, and they use the SAME photos, only without the arrows showing crank rotation. ;) The photo I posted earlier, with the directional arrow, is in the engine section (Ch.3).

My primary concern with getting the rotation backwards would be if there's any slack in the valvetrain -- as it could possibly put you on the edge of a cam lobe, thus giving you an inaccurate clearance measurement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts