M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here goes. I NEED YOUR HELP.

My 9 has about 40K on it and sat in the garage for several months over the winter while I polished my wheels....with gas in the tank...

Yeah my bad...

I had suspicions that my fuel filter was dirty before that with occasional stalls. So I got a new one and installed it. It wasn't black but it wasn't white either.

Got everything back together, emptied the old gas and put in a gallon of new super, and it cranks but won't fire. I pulled my injectors and let them sit upright with a few drops of 3M fuel system cleaner overnight. Put them back in and got a few pops out of the motor while cranking and then back to square 1. Pulled everything apart again, starting at the tank, where fuel shot out as I uncoupled the line from the tank.

So....getting fuel pressure that far.

Pulled the line off the fuel injector inlet. More gas. Pulled the fuel delivery pipes off the injectors. More gas. Sprayed throttle body cleaner into the butterflies and cranked the motor. It popped a couple times. I pulled each spark plug, replaced them with brand new top of the line plugs, ground each one against the block and cranked it. Got spark on both.

So it seems I am getting fuel all the way up to the injectors and spark from the plugs.

I am guessing clogged injectors...???

If so how do I clean them? I don't want to pay $187.00, A PIECE, for new ones as I need to put all my spare cash into my business. But I haven't ridden since FEBRUARY! And I had never gone more than 10 days without riding....ever....since I bought my 9.

AND YES I DID A SEARCH ON CLEANING FUEL INJECTORS AND DIDN'T FIND SQUAT. So unless there's some really old thread that doesn't come up in "how to clean fuel injectors" or "fuel injector cleaning" I really don't want to be lectured about using the search function. Because I did already.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Well a couple of things. First there are 4 spark plugs for this engine--1 dead center of each head and 1 on the out side of each head ( 1 left rear and 1 right front). Second, you did not mention if you heard the fuel pump cycle when turning the key on--does it? If so, do you smell any fuel when cranking over?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you pulling any codes? if so what are they?
I get "FI" in the LCD and the FI light on the tach flashes. Therefore see *3 in the service manual for the christmas list of possible issues.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well a couple of things. First there are 4 spark plugs for this engine--1 dead center of each head and 1 on the out side of each head ( 1 left rear and 1 right front). Second, you did not mention if you heard the fuel pump cycle when turning the key on--does it? If so, do you smell any fuel when cranking over?
Holy Moses parting the Red Sea Batman...it does have 4 plugs. I guess if I'd bothered to read the spark plug removal section instead of just assuming that I knew what I was doing (which is always dangerous) I might have found that out.

Thanks for the clue. I'll change those too.

Fuel pump is cycling. Would I need to put my nose right down to the exhaust to smell the gas after cranking or should it fill the air around the bike?

And thanks guys for being there to the rescue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I pulled those two center plugs and they were black...hoo-boy...

If I get new plugs and get the bike to fire with fuel system cleaner it will cough all that crap out right:dontknow::pray:....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Tank was removed huummm !!
may not be that , but, tcheck the terminal under the tank
I lifted my tank many times for some mods ,
and during a long ride (800KM ) after a bump ,
my bike would turn over but would not start
ended up being one of the wires from the terminal under the tank
I stretched the wires a little too much and one of the wires
pulled out of the terminal just far enough for me to loose
the ignition or something , I could still ear the fuel pump
initianing , but cranked without starting .

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tank was removed huummm !!
may not be that , but, tcheck the terminal under the tank
I lifted my tank many times for some mods ,
and during a long ride (800KM ) after a bump ,
my bike would turn over but would not start
ended up being one of the wires from the terminal under the tank
I stretched the wires a little too much and one of the wires
pulled out of the terminal just far enough for me to loose
the ignition or something , I could still ear the fuel pump
initianing , but cranked without starting .
Cool thanks I'll check those to make sure they're good.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Blue, once you get it put back together & fire her up. If you have never used Seafoam, I would consider trying some. It is supposed to be the cats meow of engine, injector cleaner for the 9. Othere swear by it. I was talking to one of the mechanics at the shop I go to and was told it was the only additive reccomended by Suzuki for the 9. ( That is just what I was told ) Good luck:bigthumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts