M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 M109R, 2200 miles. She was running fine stopped for gas, got back on. Now she cranks but won't start.

I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key.
Kill switch is on.
Clutch switch works.
Kickstand switch works.
No water in fuel.
Plugs have spark.
Removed TRE and plugged back to stock.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would say either bad fuel or spark plugs are fouled.

If I had to guess, if you rode to the gas station and put fuel in, then it wouldnt start after getting fuel, you got some bad fuel, water in your fuel, etc...

·
Registered
53 Posts
:agree: to u can also try some heet add it to the tank will help disapate the water if you got water in the fuel you could also check your cam postion sensor or the crank sensor might have a loose wire

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried no throttle, full throttle, and part throttle.

Pulled the tank and pump, filter is clean.

How do I check the cam and crank posisition sensor?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
No FI light?

It can't be fuel that quick. There's enough in the line from the pump to the fuel rail to run it for a few miles before it started sucking in some bad fuel you may have pumped into it.

I would pull one of the outer plugs and see if it looks fouled. It doesn't take a lot to foul them. If they are you can either pull them and dry them out, or replace them.

If it's flooded you can hold the throttle full open and crank it, that shuts the fuel off and lets it clean the engine out.

Do you have either a paper or electronic service manual?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lights function just like always.

Checked outer plugs front and back, not fouled, and both sparking.

Tried the full open throttle to start, didn't work.

Unhooked the battery for 20 min and tried to reset the computer.

Don't have a manual yet.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
2008 M109R, 2200 miles. She was running fine stopped for gas, got back on. Now she cranks but won't start.

I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key.
Kill switch is on.
Clutch switch works.
Kickstand switch works.
No water in fuel.
Plugs have spark.
Removed TRE and plugged back to stock.
do you mean kill switch is off? :dontknow:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kill switch is in the run posisition. In the other posisition it won't even turn over.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is in neutral.
Clutch lever switch is ok. When it fails bike will not crank at all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disconnected the fuel pump form the throttle body, and turned the key. No fuel pumping out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it!!!! Yeah!!!

Right when you lift the tank, first plug. The brown wire came loose from the block. Maybe the PO had lifted the tank for some reason.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Good find!

Glad you found it, good find without a service manual. I'm no wiring guru, but it looks like the wire you found loose shuts off the fuel pump because the ECM doesn't get a signal from the TO sensor (tip over) which keeps fuel from spewing when your bike is on it's side.
That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it unless somebody else corrects me.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Great! Glad it was something simple, but those are sometimes the hardest to find.

Was it a brown wire or a red wire? The fuel pump wire has a Black with White tracer and Red with Black tracer. The TO switch has a Red, Black, and Black with Brown tracer.

The tank gets removed for a lot of maintenance and mod items, so the fuel pump connector gets unfastened a lot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems like it was brown with orange if I remember corectly. Im not ready to pull it back up yet. lol

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
:congrats: on finding the cause. glad to hear it was a simple fix. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going to the pump it's the red. Below the connection (where it pulled out) is yellow with red stripe.

Slipped twice again today:mad:. Can't tolerate an unreliable bike, so I cut and spliced a wire to bypass it. Put a blade type plug so I can still remove the tank easy enough.:tools:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts