M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately i have notice when enging is hot and i shut down the engine, when it cranks up its strugle a little bit then it cranks up and when it does it resets my time to 1:00, after that i can shut it off and crank it up with no problem at all, last time i did it 5 times off and on and the bike started fine, i have check and clean my battery contacts, i also check the voltage of the battery while the motor is running and it read 14.30 volts, the bikes starts fine in the mornings but if i ride the bike for 10 minutes and stop it then crank it up i get this problem. is getting very comon, i'm leaning to a bad started. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Got to agree here...if you have three years on a factory battery,it's time to think about a replacement.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have a Q for this post. Like old bikes and cars when they drag at hot starts. When you play with the timing you can get it to crank over right. Q is, Can you play with timing to fix something like his problem?

·
Registered
310 Posts
yea sounds like a battery issue...when u need one come see me at napa in sebring ill hook u up!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My friends and I were on a ride last week. The weather was in the low 90s.My nine and my friends Harley both did it a couple of times. I think they get vapor lock when the engine and temp outside is hot. Just my 2 cents. If it makes any sense!!:dontknow:

·
Registered
728 Posts
My friends and I were on a ride last week. The weather was in the low 90s.My nine and my friends Harley both did it a couple of times. I think they get vapor lock when the engine and temp outside is hot. Just my 2 cents. If it makes any sense!!:dontknow:
Not vapor lock, with 43 lbs of fuel pressure that will push any vapor out of the lines.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a similar problem , took months to figure it out.
Cleaned the engine end of the Earth strap thoroughly and problem gone.

Try That ,

Regards Gez.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Battery

While it's common for bikes to struggle to turn over that first revolution when hot, the clock resetting itself means it's time for a new battery. It will only get worse as summer heats up.
Even my new Gman battery does it sometimes, but the clock stays set.
I should check my ground connection as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Joel if you follow the negative batter cable to wherever it attaches to the frame...that will be were to disconnect and sand the attaching area of any dirt/grease/ or paint. If you add a swipe of dielectric grease to the area before you reattach it...it won't hurt either. I would have to look at the service manual to see if there is an engine wire...maybe it's around the starter motor...I'll look tonight if no one chimes in sooner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts