M109 Riders banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
0618 the first two numbers refer to the week and the second two are the year so it was manufactured in the sixth week of 2018 i believe shelf life for a tyre is actually 5 years but obviously you wouldn't want to buy towards the end of this. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me. It’s been a while since I’ve purchased tires. I thought it was month and year, rather than week and year. 👍

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just Googled "recommended motorcycle tire shelf life" and read a few articles. There's also some "people also asked" articles that come up.
Seems a tire's recommended life is about 5 years, shelf life could be 2 to 5 years, but who would buy a tire that was almost at life's end.
Tire life is based on many factors, both while on the shelf and while on the bike; sunlight, contact to concrete, chemicals, type of riding, and temperatures.
While you can never know what happened to the tire while on the shelf, only the owner would know what may have happened while on the bike.
Slartibartfast, if you're not in a hurry to ride I would contact who you purchased it from and/or the manufacturer to see if there could be any warranty adjustment. But I would not ride on that tire again.
Good luck.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts